XF (X260) 2015 onwards

InControl Pro: not intuitive, no documentation

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Default InControl Pro: not intuitive, no documentation

Just picked up a 2016 XF with the InControl Pro system. The car is great but figuring out how to do or configure anything with this interface is a nightmare, the manual seems to ignore the Pro, and there's no other documentation I can find. I did come across some videos on youtube, which helped some, but that's about it.

Before asking a bunch of specific questions, is there anyplace where this system is actually documented?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Just picked up a 2016 XF with the InControl Pro system. The car is great but figuring out how to do or configure anything with this interface is a nightmare, the manual seems to ignore the Pro, and there's no other documentation I can find. I did come across some videos on youtube, which helped some, but that's about it.

Before asking a bunch of specific questions, is there anyplace where this system is actually documented?

Thanks
No instruction manuel as far as I know. If so, I wish I could get it.

I felt the same way, but after a couple weeks of playing around I was able to figure it out. Now I do not use all of the advance features but I get along just fine.

Did your dealership offer you an "Encoure" session. This is where you meet up with someone from the dealership (usually a low level salesman) and they go over the basics with you or if you know the basics they go over any questions you may have. Usually done a couple weeks after delivery.

I didn't do it. To tell you the truth I can probably tell them a thing or two as I don't think their training level is up to par. Maybe once the system has been out longer. Who knows.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:53 PM

Nope, they didn't offer an "Encoure" session.

So there's plenty of things that are driving me nuts, but there's two that have me completely stuck:

- Among what seems like 40 various accounts and logins that have unknown purposes, when I go to the nav screen it says I should login, but when I try and it asks for my email address, it gives me a keyboard with no underscore key, so I can't actually enter my email address.
- I try to import songs from a USB stick into the system. I reads and plays the USB fine, I finally find the menu with the button that says "copy to car memory", and I can select folders and/or songs on the usb stick, but there's no active button that starts the copy. There's one that I might think would do the copy, but its greyed out and doesn't work.

If anyone has any ideas on these two, it would be appreciated.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:53 AM

Update on importing songs: I think what is going on is that when you first select the files/folders to import and hit the button, it starts doing it in the background but doesn't tell you. Nothing is available and the import button is greyed out because it is in the process of copying. Eventually it finishes and everything appears in the car's storage, and it will play.

Now, I'm guessing there's no way to import a play list and it looks like figuring out how to control the order it plays things in is going to be a struggle.

Perhaps they need to have not hired people that are UI challenged to build this software.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Update on importing songs: I think what is going on is that when you first select the files/folders to import and hit the button, it starts doing it in the background but doesn't tell you. Nothing is available and the import button is greyed out because it is in the process of copying. Eventually it finishes and everything appears in the car's storage, and it will play.

Now, I'm guessing there's no way to import a play list and it looks like figuring out how to control the order it plays things in is going to be a struggle.

Perhaps they need to have not hired people that are UI challenged to build this software.
Sounds logical to me. I have the standard ICT system and it simnply plays off the USB stick in the console. That said, I wish there were two USB outlets as in several other cars I had. You could plug the USB in one and the phone in the other. Oh well.

Love the comment, Jay on "need to not have hired people....." Spoken like a true Jersey Boy (I'm from there as well..originally)

Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 AM

One big discovery I made:

I found an online owners manual with the InControl Pro documentation. Originally I went to the Jaguar USA site, clicked on the ownership section, and went to manuals for the XF, which had nothing for 2016 or newer.

Well, after doing lots of online searching desperately looking for various piece of information, I stumbled across:
Jaguar Owner Information
Now if I select XF, it gives me options for 2016 and 2017, then for 2016 it asks if I have a CD player, which I select. Then I get an owners manual with the Pro docs!

Now, its not 100% accurate, but it seems to be 99%, which helps a lot. Like telling me what the default master pin is. One thing that is different is on the media player, the icon to the right of the "repeat" icon (item 10 in the manual), is different in the manual than what I have. I have something that seems to create a play list of 12 random songs, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do (anyone know?). I also know how to control that or how to create/load my own play lists, which I suspect can't be done.

But I figured I post this link for the next person that's banging their head against the wall with no documentation at all.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (08-28-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 PM

As an update: I just received a new set of documentation (Owners Handbook, Setup Guide, etc) that appears to now be up to date since it includes the Pro information. Didn't know this was coming and nice of them to provide. A little late since I already had to go through banging my head against the wall with the system, but certainly nice to have.