XF (X260) 2015 onwards

iPhone interaction

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 PM
XFS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone interaction

I've had a few unpleasant experiences connecting my iPhone to the system that I'm hoping have work-arounds. I'd welcome any suggestions.

1. If I connect using the USB cable to charge the phone, the bluetooth connection is automatically disconnected and the phone shows up as an iPod/storage device. All I want though is to recharge the phone...

2. If the ICT is setup to bluetooth, when I start the car it automatically connects to my phone (after too long a delay) and starts Play even if the phone wasn't actually playing anything at the time... As a result, the phone starts playing from the music collection. I want to turn off this behavior as I really mostly on Spotify to listen to music.

3. The car downloads the addressbook successfully but I haven't yet found a way to set a favorite contact number for the voice input. As a result, if I ask it to call , it asks me which of 's numbers to call. In the ICT screen UI, there is a list of recent activity from which I can pick the number directly (rather than the individual) but I haven't found an equivalent for voice.

P.S.: If anyone from Jaguar is reading this forum, know that I'm very unhappy with the ICT software. For a new luxury car purchase, it is the weakest element of the offering. I find the ICT to be un-intuitive, unreliable, and incomplete. For a consumer software product, it feels rushed. As an example, just yesterday I spent ~10 minutes trying to figure out how to cancel the directions to a route. Why isn't there a cancel/stop button on the main Directions pane or in the Directions selection pane? Either would pass a usability study whereas I struggle to understand how the current UX did... So much frustration and so many missed opportunities to delight.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only used the NAV twice, and neither time did I need it, but I too struggled with canceling the NAV once my test of it was over. Especially while driving. No one wants to end up in a ditch trying to cancel their route.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had no issues at all with ICT, other than I think the response is a bit slow compared with other systems I have owned. I have a Samsung phone and no problems connecting there. I do not use the phone for music, but rather a USB stick which works well; lets me record what music I want and holds thousands of songs.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by XFS
I've had a few unpleasant experiences connecting my iPhone to the system that I'm hoping have work-arounds. I'd welcome any suggestions.

1. If I connect using the USB cable to charge the phone, the bluetooth connection is automatically disconnected and the phone shows up as an iPod/storage device. All I want though is to recharge the phone...

2. If the ICT is setup to bluetooth, when I start the car it automatically connects to my phone (after too long a delay) and starts Play even if the phone wasn't actually playing anything at the time... As a result, the phone starts playing from the music collection. I want to turn off this behavior as I really mostly on Spotify to listen to music.

3. The car downloads the addressbook successfully but I haven't yet found a way to set a favorite contact number for the voice input. As a result, if I ask it to call , it asks me which of 's numbers to call. In the ICT screen UI, there is a list of recent activity from which I can pick the number directly (rather than the individual) but I haven't found an equivalent for voice.

P.S.: If anyone from Jaguar is reading this forum, know that I'm very unhappy with the ICT software. For a new luxury car purchase, it is the weakest element of the offering. I find the ICT to be un-intuitive, unreliable, and incomplete. For a consumer software product, it feels rushed. As an example, just yesterday I spent ~10 minutes trying to figure out how to cancel the directions to a route. Why isn't there a cancel/stop button on the main Directions pane or in the Directions selection pane? Either would pass a usability study whereas I struggle to understand how the current UX did... So much frustration and so many missed opportunities to delight.
This. All of this, unfortunately.

Here's my thought on #'s 1 and 2. I travel a bit for work and end up in a few rental cars as a result. I've noticed that 1&2 seem to be a standard BT car integration issue. The auto-play of the music is super annoying. I use Amazon Music and have found that if I kill the iTunes app (double-click then swipe up) from in the car then it will at least default to my Amazon stations. And, this has also reduced the auto-play on start up but, not totally eliminated. This has been a decent solution for me. It seems like if I reboot my phone, it goes back to the iTunes by default. HTH.

No solution but a suggestion (maybe) for you on the contacts. Again, I think this is a standard phone integration issue, not just a Jag issue. I've started to just include "mobile" or "work", etc... as part of the voice command. For example "Call Husband work" or "Call Sister mobile". The silliest part is when I call my mom and the car is sometimes snotty about not having a work number stored for her. No duh! She has one phone number. Why does the car care? I'm sure anyone overhearing me talk back to the car would enjoy the conversation. Or maybe not. They might just think I'm raving mad (which I guess I am).

BTW, I think I've used "cancel route guidance" but I might just be thinking of my previous Audi? Too tired to go outside and check.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charger cable data blocking

I found this on Amazon and it is supposed to block data and only allows to charge your phone, this should solve the issue of detecting your phone as another storage device or to disable Bluetooth, it also comes as a cable, check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-Char...words=portapow

Old 11-09-2016, 07:49 PM
XFS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up with the following setup:

I put the holder to the upper right of the gear shifter. There's just enough room. Then I ran an iPhone cable from the charger.

With this setup, I just plump down my phone when I get into the car and plug in the power wire. Then I run everything over bluetooth. The holder makes reaching the volume button a bit hard but I can live with that.

I've mostly stopped using the ICT's map system as Waze in this setup is far more useful.

The only thing I haven't resolved is the auto-play annoyance.

P.S.: I am still unhappy that, despite a fancy ICT, I end up not using either its map or apps systems. It would have been great if the system had some better basic smartphone integration; maybe take in the target address over bluetooth. I understand it seemed cool to have fancy apps but the basics are missing.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:02 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XFS
Depending on where you are located you should be able to find someone who supplies something like this: PortaPow Fast Charge + Data Block USB Adaptor - PortaPow

This or a similar product works by not connecting the data lines in the USB connection, providing only power. This particular version contains some electronics to determine the type of smartphone connected and optimise the charging. But either way, the car will no longer recognise the iPhone as such and so will maintain the Bluetooth connection. Upside is that it may charge a little faster, downside is that you lose the option to select USB iPod while connected this way.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2016, 02:09 AM
jbn

Can't delete previous post, apologies for duplication of post #5...

Old 11-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of those data blocking cables myself but even with that I am not able to use Siri ! Phone is still connected by Bluetooth and that's the whole point is to use Siri to call a contact name..weird , maybe I'm doing something wrong

Old 11-18-2016, 01:49 AM
jbn

For me Siri operates as expected, working through the car and appears (temporarily) as a phone connection to my own number. What source do you have selected when you try to use Siri? By the way, have you tried the built-in Jaguar voice dialler? Works surprisingly well...