XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Iphone + XF = No Text?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Iphone + XF = No Text?

Hi all -

Recently picked up a 2016 XF Prestige AWD and love it. I've been trying to access text messaging from my Iphone 6 through the Incontrol App. I do not have PRO.

I have been unsuccessful getting text messages to appear on the screen. Someone suggested it is not compatible with Iphones, just with Andriod phones. Can someone confirm this for me or am I just not figuring this out?

Thanks -

Old 01-26-2017, 03:55 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"Someone" is wrong, this feature is available. Try this, in or out of your car: on your iPhone go to Settings / Bluetooth / and look for the Jaguar XF entry under My Devices. Tap the blue circle to the right and make sure that Show Notifications is set to on. This is usually the problem.

The car only shows messages that are received while connected to the phone, and does not retain after switching off.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:11 AM
jbn

I tried to answer this once but my reply seemed to disappear... apologies if this is a duplicate post.

Check on your iPhone under Settings / Bluetooth and under My Devices find Jaguar XF. Tap the blue letter 'i' in a circle on the right and make sure that Show Notifications is enabled. Note also that the car will only show messages that are received while the iPhone is connected to the car, and these disappear from the system (not iPhone) after you switch off the ignition.

PS since this post appeared, let me add that "Someone" is wrong...

Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Jaguar specifications vary across World markets and what goes for one country isn't necessarily true for all.

For specific phone model compatibility with a specific vehicle VIN, check the Jaguar Bluetooth Connectivity Centre:

Vehicles - Jaguar

Jaguar was notorious for lagging behind with phone developments but appear to be making more of an effort now.

Graham

Old 01-28-2017, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Jaguar specifications vary across World markets and what goes for one country isn't necessarily true for all.

For specific phone model compatibility with a specific vehicle VIN, check the Jaguar Bluetooth Connectivity Centre:

Vehicles - Jaguar

Jaguar was notorious for lagging behind with phone developments but appear to be making more of an effort now.

Graham
Thank you, just previewed this and it appears that my phone (iPhone 6) nor an android that reviewed have texting capabilities listed. Maybe it's just turned off for the US? I'll just keep trying...weird though.

On another note, finally have over 1k on it and love this thing. Was out last night in Dynamic mode and the thing is a beast!!

Old 01-28-2017, 01:21 PM

Ok, you are all the best. Phone was already connected to Jag, but needed to turn on "show notifications" prompt on the phone.

Text's now get delivered to the car, but know I cannot figure out how to respond. The reply button on the screen does not function.

Any more suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:02 AM
jbn
Cool

Section 42 page 163 of your Owner's Manual will explain why and under what circumstances it is enabled. Something to do with safety...

*well in the PDF version that is, at least; look under Telephone

Last edited by jbn; 01-30-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by jbn
Section 42 page 163 of your Owner's Manual will explain why and under what circumstances it is enabled. Something to do with safety...

*well in the PDF version that is, at least; look under Telephone
Thanks, found that last night when I went through the manual again. Just surprised, as two of my managers that drive fairly new Nissan's and it works in their cars/suvs. Anyways, happier to just enjoy the drive of the Jag non-the-less.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 AM
jbn

Surprised at the attention to safety in the Jaguar, or the apparent lack of safety in the Nissan?

I'm sure that everyone here wishes you continued enjoyment of your XF despite Jaguar's commitment to keeping you and other road users and pedestrians safe. I hope you don't seriously mean that you would text and drive if the car hadn't disabled it? Seriously?

Old 01-30-2017, 05:46 PM

I follow your thought process and see how my inquiry could have been taken the wrong way. Let me make it clear I have zero interest in texting and driving.

My only interest was hoping that I would have a prompt allowing me to reply "driving, can't text" so I wouldn't be forced to pull over at rest stops to have to make sure I wasn't ignoring important work texts as I spend a lot of time driving.

I have also put my motorcycling on hold as a result of all the non-attentive drivers we have here in the states. It's awful, last thing I would want to do is put myself in that category or risk hurting someone else or myself for that matter.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:04 AM
jbn

Thanks for the clarification! It was the "nonetheless" in your reply that raised eyebrows...

How about using Siri for this purpose? Since it uses the car Bluetooth for audio the active noise suppression and therefore speech recognition is pretty good. I found that for those frequently-used-but-difficult-for-Siri-to-recognise names defining a nickname in the contact and referring to that instead tends to work well.

An autoresponder for SMS / iMessage would be nice for such occasions but currently this exists only for jailbroken iPhones.

The following users liked this post:
Yehaman (01-31-2017)