XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Jaguar Reliability and Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:42 PM
amf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Reliability and Quality

Hello All. I am new to this forum, and this is my first post here! Please excuse me if this topic has already been covered in great detail! Late this spring, we are getting or ordering a new car (or perhaps SUV) to replace my wife's 2012 Volvo S80. (Might be a 2018 model, and we would order the car to our specifications). While my wife likes her S80, I am not that enthused about getting another one (S90).....but we will probably drive an S90 just to see how it compares to her S80. Some of the cars we will be looking at are: The Jaguar XF (my wife likes the style; The new Mercedes E class (lots of technology and Mercedes perceived quality); The Audi A6 (basic design a few years old) The Porsche Macan.....(not a car, but a small SUV which my wife drove and really liked). (Do we need an SUV???) I have a Porsche sports car, and the car, as well as the dealer service is excellent) The Porsche Panamera is too big, and equipped the way we would want it becomes more expensive than we plan on spending....so it is out.

So.....Since we have never owned a Jaguar, and have no experience in Jaguar ownership,......in advance of going out and driving the aforementioned vehicles at the dealerships, I am curious about the reliability and quality and ownership experience of the Jaguar XF from owners perspective. (I remember the "good old days" of Jaguar where the joke was you needed to have two of them as one will always be in the shop) I know that the warranty on the Jaguar is longer than the other cars I mention here...so that helps the "anxiety" level somewhat. This forum seems to have many members though who have had issues with their XF.....but I also know that forums tend to be a place where people vent.....and not always write to express praise.

Thoughts and comments from current owners of the late model XF cars are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Briefly said: the quality of modern Jaguars is excellent, equal or better than that of its rivals ("perceived Mercedes quality" is just that: perceived). I have owned many Jaguars as well as BMW and Mercedes. Here is a specific long-term case: my wife is now in year 13 of ownership of an X-type Jaguar, the smaller, all wheel drive sedan that pundits have labelled a failure. Nothing could be further from the truth; perhaps theirs in an "alternative fact". My wife's car, in 13 years of daily use, never garaged, has had ONE repair (replacement of an oxygen sensor) - and has needed nothing else. My 2007 XK, 100% reliability, no problems of any kind. My 2005 x-type wagon? No problems of any kind. The XF would be no different, although any individual car can have minor items to be sorted during the warranty period.
Do yourself a favour and drive a Jaguar before making a decision.

The following users liked this post:
ololly (02-18-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

I've only owned my XF for about 5 months but the reliability has been excellent with no problems to speak of. I don't believe cars from any manufacturer today are unreliable. My son's Hyundai hasn't even burped in 9 years. Of course there are always the exception to the rule even with Jaguar but in general....no. I don't see Jaguars going through lists of recalls or technical updates. My last two Mercedes had never ending lists of technical updates (not necessarily a bad thing) but neither ever left me stranded. The five year warranty with all scheduled maintenance included was a helping decision factor in my purchase.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:35 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2017 XF delivered in July 2016, plus one colleague also with New XF and two with F-Pace... aside from the InControl Touch (Pro) software issues that are well documented and basically being addressed, not one of us has any any mechanical or construction problems.

I have noted water ingress in my high level brake light that I expect to be addressed as a warranty issue, but this is very much a one off as far as I can tell from internet searches.

In short then, no significant concerns compared with any other manufacturer + an absolute pleasure to drive = what's not to like!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

AMF: I'm also in Florida and have owned many luxury brands in the past and I never went back to any of them. But Jaguar is the first I've triple dipped.

My 2012 Jag XF 5.0 was an absolute beast. Never had reliability issues. It drove like a tank for 42K miles, until the lease was done and I got a 2016 XF.

My 2016 XF is approaching 1 year of ownership. Apart from a faulty AC compressor that was replaced right after delivery, no issues.

My 2012 XKR is approaching 10 months of ownership, and it's been terrific, as well. No issues.

My former 2012 Audi A6 Supercharged 3.0 was a nightmare. Consumed tons of oil. Had electrical issues with the heat or AC failing to turn on. Thermostat froze after 10 months of ownership. And then froze again after replacement. I owned this car back in NYC for its AWD and used it with my dad while I was still living with my parents before my wedding and big move to FL. I opted to leave the car behind in NYC, left the final 20 months of payments to him (he didn't want to lemon the car) and leased my 2012 XF 5.0. My dad has since gotten another, this time a 2016 Audi A6. He got a pretty amazing deal on it, though.

I've owned an Audi A6 4.2L prior to that, as well. Great car, but it was riddled with gremlins and the trans was dying by 70K. Had all sorts of other random failures on it too, such as sensors, coil pack, etc. My then-GF/now-wife was driving a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T, awful car that was at the dealer every few weeks.

Had a 2012 BMW 535i as a loaner (for when my 2008 335i Coupe was getting a ton of crap checked out on it) and that loaner had some hiccups too. Granted, the life of a loaner car is rough, but still...it was 4K miles old.

Today, I'm personally turned off my BMW's styling choices and over-reliance of tech. The driving experience is so numb.

Jaguar has been scoring very high in reliability metrics, and they are confident enough to offer a 60K mile warranty, which brands like BMW no longer offer (they are only 36K now).

uab9253 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Briefly said: the quality of modern Jaguars is excellent, equal or better than that of its rivals ("perceived Mercedes quality" is just that: perceived). I have owned many Jaguars as well as BMW and Mercedes. Here is a specific long-term case: my wife is now in year 13 of ownership of an X-type Jaguar, the smaller, all wheel drive sedan that pundits have labelled a failure. Nothing could be further from the truth; perhaps theirs in an "alternative fact". My wife's car, in 13 years of daily use, never garaged, has had ONE repair (replacement of an oxygen sensor) - and has needed nothing else. My 2007 XK, 100% reliability, no problems of any kind. My 2005 x-type wagon? No problems of any kind. The XF would be no different, although any individual car can have minor items to be sorted during the warranty period.
Do yourself a favour and drive a Jaguar before making a decision.
I concur on the X-type. I bought a 2004 new and drove it for several years and never had anything but normal interval maintenance and replacement of wear and tear items. It only had about 48K miles on it when I traded it in. Bought a new 2011XF and would still be driving it now, except I stupidly tried to push it through high water in a neighborhood flood. It only had 40K miles and I'd had it almost 5 years. I had just come off of warranty but had nothing done but the tires.
Have a new 2016 XF Rsport now, and it's only been 8 months but no issues whatsoever.
I'm 51 and I will buy Jaguar again for my next car, I am quite sure. The wife had a 2004 Volvo XC90 and it was nothing but trouble. Eventually the transmission failed on it, but right after we traded it in. So we dodged a bullet. It was a nice looking, nice driving SUV but a fair amount of problems.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Jaguar XF problems and unreliability

I've never had a worse vehicle that my 2011 Jaguar XF. Extremely poor quality and unreliable, I can't take a 100 mile trip without worrying about getting home. Jaguar service is suspect and they lie about warranty. Brakes wear out within 20k miles, trunk harness wiring breaks due to too small electrical wiring, the water pump failed within 65k miles and worst of all the dreaded restricted performance (limp mode) problem caused by a failed fuel injector at 75k miles. To make matters worse, I called Jaguar Roadside Assistance ... no problem sir, you are under warranty so I had it towed to Jaguar of Plano who diagnosed it and told me it was 5 months out of warranty. They wanted 3$250 to replace the 4 left bank injectors, twice that amount for all 8 ($6500). I'm glad I did some research first, I found Bosch OEM injectors from Part Geek for $94.48 ea. Christian Brothers charged me only $370 labor + tax to replace all 8. Easily 1/5 of the cost from Jaguar. The company is one big rip off, from quality, reliability to service and integrity (lack thereof). It will be a cold day in hell before I buy another Jaguar and now that they own Landrover, I'll include that on my list as well. I'm so mad I'm trying to escalate to the Trump administration to have them investigated and publicly humiliated. They are a sorry example of a car company and a rip off to the American consumer. They might have been grand at some point in the past but they are horrible in every respect today.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

So, you've owned the car from new in 2011, and it is now 2017. Six years ownership. If the car is so bad, why do you still have it ? I have to say your experience is not typical of Jaguars.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Banned

The water pump was under warranty; the fuel injectors 5 months out of warranty was the last straw when Jaguar refused to help and tried to rape me on parts and labor (536% uplift). It's getting sold ASAP. Never again will I take a chance on any Jaguar, cheap and unreliable. And BTW, the dealer trying to justify his prices showed me several other Jag XFs with fuel injector problems ... mine is only the beginning of nation-wide failures at only 75k miles. These are design flaws. Who engineers a fuel injector to fail wide open and wash thru the cylinder with fuel into the crankcase. Pitiful engineering ... from an engineer!!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm....since the Jaguar uses Bosch fuel injectors (as do Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and many other companies) the failure of Bosch injectors should perhaps be blamed on the company that made them rather than on the company that used them...and, just as a point of information, injector failure is very often caused by consistent use of poor quality fuels - and that is an owner-caused problem. What fuel do you use regularly?
You seem excessively angry about all this. I do agree with you that the Trump administration should be investigated, although they are doing a good job of humiliating themselves.

Last edited by sov211; 03-05-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Chet Crouch (03-22-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Banned

While Bosch does manufacture the injectors, Jaguar chooses them as an integral part of their engine system. What you don't seem to get is that Jaguar does the hardware and software engineering on the PCM (performance control module) and that's where they screwed up by allowing the injector to fail open instead of closed on a problem such as this. That sir is lousy engineering. Failing closed, reduced performance; fail open, massive potential problems. Jaguar has obviously had one too many owners and can't seem to get their act together. Who expects flames to be shooting out of their tailpipes and such a critical fail at only 75k miles on an engine supposedly good for 200k. Yeah, I'm pissed with my first and only performance luxury vehicle. We'll see how funny they think it is once our Texas governor Abbott and Trump administration climbs up their orifice for price fixing and service gouging of their clients (446% on parts and 536% on parts and labor). I will have my pound of flesh for my troubles.

Last edited by pzxzqg; 03-05-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:40 PM

You got price gouged by one dealership. Calm down.

Also, you're going to send this to Trump? Seriously? Are you so delusional to think that anyone is even going to see it? I find the rant pretty funny, actually. LOL

sov211 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Oh I realize the no one in the Trump administration will [probably] ever see the email and while you think it's funny because it hasn't happen to you; I'll think it's funny to see/hear the exasperation from the Jaguar executives that see the negative exposure (North America and Europe) that they'll get globally before I'm done. Local Jaguar of Plano assures me that they have absolutely no control over parts pricing, so it's likely not one dealership. Jaguar tends to keep their mechanic labor pricing the same as well so I don't buy your delusion either. I'll get to the bottom of it and while I actually feel better already; Jaguar will have 'egg on their face' for years to come. Can't wait until it happens to you as well. Karma has a way of coming around full circle.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by pzxzqg
I've never had a worse vehicle that my 2011 Jaguar XF. Extremely poor quality and unreliable, I can't take a 100 mile trip without worrying about getting home. Jaguar service is suspect and they lie about warranty. ....
Welcome to the forum pzxzqg,

5 Posts, all rants ....... and none of them in the X250 forum for your 2011 XF model.

I'm sure we've all got the point now. You don't like Jaguar, their products or their dealers.

I hope you sell your Jaguar very quickly.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Cherry_560sel (03-19-2017), ololly (03-06-2017), V6 JDT (03-20-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, the original poster needs to sell this car quickly and move on to another victim of his vindictiveness and irascibility.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Curious

I have to know and sorry to keep such a negative thread alive, but did you buy your Jag new in 2011 and have driven it ever since? I had one, see sig below, but I drove it into a flooded street and the block took water and it was totaled out by my insurance company with only about 42K miles. I wonder if I would have had an injector failure. One thing, I've always done with my Jags is to use Supreme gas always. If yours was pre-owned, it could be that the first owner cheaped out on the gasoline level.

I also want to add in, along with the rest, that your experience is the first I've heard of anything like this, at least in the last 15 years or so. Every maker can produce a dog every once in awhile but my experience with the brand has been the opposite of yours. Sorry to hear that you had a bad go of it.

However, yes, non-warranty repairs are extremely expensive! I had a brake job on from a dealer that was terrible and expensive. I ended up having it redone at my local mechanics shop at about 1/3rd the price with a better result. I do love my coverage though as I never mileage out of it - I get the full 5 years because I average about 7K miles a year.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Yes, the original poster needs to sell this car quickly and move on to another victim of his vindictiveness and irascibility.
OP is not the derailer of this thread. OP actually wants to get into a Jag.

Having said that: a testament of my 2012's reliability is that it was involved in a fairly substantial accident where much of the driver's side was side-swiped with ferocity and had to be replaced, including a brand new door, new speakers, all door electrics, new front bumper, new headlights, new taillight, new quarter panel cut and welded in, and new rear bumper.

First of all, the car came out of the body shop (a Lamborghini shop in Long Island btw) and it steered straight. It didn't even need an alignment, and a machine confirmed as much. But I still expected it to be complete mess after the accident, and yet...it never once broke down on me, apart from a battery depletion (1 year later, likely because it sat at the shop for a while waiting for all parts to come in). Nonetheless, I was totally stunned. And so I stuck to Jags.

Like I said, it's the first time I've stuck to a brand. Hopefully, it lasts.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Banned

Yes, it still hurts. It took me a year of looking at luxury performance cars before I took the plunge with the Jaguar XF and spent more than double the money that any other vehicle. I loved the style, look, feel,sound and power. It was a pre-certified loaner from the dealership with less than 12k miles when I got it in 2012. They claim it never left the dealership without a tank full of premium. I used premium Shell and Exxon mostly and always 93 octane, few times 91 when I didn't have a choice. My wife claims I treated this car better than my Labrador and kids. Hardly more than a week went by without a wash, spot wax and leather conditioning. It's probably not healthy to love something this much. I have all eight injectors, honestly none of them had much corrosion or carbon. I ran Sea Foam in a full tank once every 10-15k miles. I've seen first hand how well that additive works on car, truck and marine engines (comparing top end jobs). When the water pump blew (and I mean ballbearing all over the engine compartment) at 65k miles, I convinced myself that was the worst of it and it was smooth sailing for the next 150k miles. When it went into Restricted Performance mode on the interstate at 70 mph (<75k miles), an Audi pulled up beside me telling me that flames were shooting out of the driver side tailpipe. I immediately pulled over and stopped. With no oil issues, I limped home, about 5-6 miles. The Audi guy recently offered to sell me the video ... I told him to go *&*!!^ himself and he could sell it to Audi for their Jag commercial. Jag Roadside Assistance, who convinced me that everything was under warranty at the water pump problem (600 miles away on vacation at the time), told me it was still under warranty 6 months later and I believed it up until when the dealership called to pop my bubble. My bad, it's totally on me, for not double-checking but no condolences from Jag local or national. They told me the $150 diagnostic was a combination of observing that gas was coming out of the driver-side tailpipe and a left bank injector code, thank you very much. Was advised that if under warranty, they would replace all 8 but for me only $3250 for four injectors. They did drop it to $3000 after some haggling ($6000 for 8). I've talked to almost a dozen local shops, ex-Jag and other independents, all were significantly cheaper. Jag Plano was quick to show me other invoices for the same type of problem and the other independents have had injector experiences of their own too. Come on, I may only be a Systems [Network] Engineer by training ... but who designs their PCM to have injectors fail wide open. This is what leads me to believe that the hardware and software guys are not on the same page after one too many acquisitions (I've been thru a few myself with EDS=>GM=>EDS=>HP). This could simply be the tip of the iceberg with 75k+ mile problems just now coming to light. I gave Christian Brother's my business when they advised me that the same fuel rail came off for 4 injectors as for all 8, with no increase in labor charge. I immediately ordered 4 more Bosch OEM injectors at $94.46 each. Labor came in at $379.50 total, under $1300 for all 8 (a few misc parts and tax make up the difference). I still can't be sure that the gas flushing, possibly on multiple cylinder's isn't the end of my problems. It took 3 days for the mixture of gas and oil to stop dripping out of the crankcase. The CB mechanic got even more out after I asked him to pull the crankcase plug the injector replacements. You'd think I would feel lucky but I feel betrayal and deceit instead (and my butt hurts). I've spent over 40 years as a backyard mechanic putting 150k-250k miles on each of my GMC's, Chevrolet's, Opel's, Lincoln Mercury's, Honda's, Fords and multiple boat engines. I've never had this type of trouble. Lucky, maybe ... OK I remember a timing chain once on my Capri. Even the 1930 A-model in my garage has held up better than this. But the feeling that I've been taken ... is priceless!! To end the rants on a positive note (not possible is it?) ... Wilkin's and Bower's make the best auto sound system I've ever heard including custom systems designed for my vans. Too bad they're not going into the current Jag lines that I've seen. Like I said, you should never love anything this much, it can only turn out badly. I'm also sure the Jag Enthusiast's here will find some fault in my logic and arguments.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping it is just a fluke, but I picked up mine last Friday evening (130 miles on the odometer). I've driven it about 100 miles since then, and yesterday morning a low coolant warning light came on. I checked, and sure enough, the reservoir was almost empty! I filled it up, but when I came home that evening I could hear it bubbling. I popped the hood and found antifreeze leaking slowly out the cap and into the engine bay. Within 10 minutes there was a good size line coming out of the garage. I have an appointment with the service department tomorrow. Hopefully it was just a bad cap and not something major!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 AM
Banned

Unlikely that the water pump blew like mine at 65k miles, leaving ballbearing all over the engine compartment. More than likely a loose hose clamp. However, after my disaster (locked open blowing fire out of the tailpipe and gas into the crankcase) of a fuel injector problem 5 months out of warranty and 74k miles, I can't trust my Jag to get to the grocery store and back. I don't wish bad tiding to you, I wish you LOL ... you'll probably need it based on my experience. Assuming that you're under warranty, so fixing it shouldn't be a problem. Don't expect any sympathy or breaks after your warranty expires though, neither local or national Jag will have any for you.