XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Looking to replace my wife's X in the next year or so with a 13 XF

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Looking to replace my wife's X in the next year or so with a 13 XF

Started looking at a replacement and likely our last Jaguar as we need it to be able to tow and aluminum don't tow. Looking at some 13 XFs will likely end up with an awd model but here is my rub, seems most of the ones locally have the hideous leaper installed (don't mind it on a car that had traditional styling but on the XF it just looks wrong). I'm guessing that is a dealer installed option likely coming form some of the city dealers that still think chrome and dinosaurs sells or is it a jag option?

Any input on the 13s and awd. Going to test drive a XF turbo tonight but not really thinking we can get away with 3 rwd cars. Don't have room for all those snow tires.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

By way of contrast, over here people sometimes complain about the LACK of a leaper.

It has to be easy to take off and fit the part they fit here

Old 12-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Started looking at a replacement and likely our last Jaguar as we need it to be able to tow and aluminum don't tow. Looking at some 13 XFs will likely end up with an awd model but here is my rub, seems most of the ones locally have the hideous leaper installed (don't mind it on a car that had traditional styling but on the XF it just looks wrong). I'm guessing that is a dealer installed option likely coming form some of the city dealers that still think chrome and dinosaurs sells or is it a jag option?

Any input on the 13s and awd. Going to test drive a XF turbo tonight but not really thinking we can get away with 3 rwd cars. Don't have room for all those snow tires.
Hi
I am curious about your comment re "...aluminum don't tow". The 2016 Jaguar XF is arguably better constructed and with crush zones and boron steel beams than other luxury marques. Has Jaguar told you they cannot be used to tow anything. I was told I couldn't tow with my BMW528i when I had it yet half of Europe with BMWs tow different things like small trailers and caravans,

Good luck in hour search. I would buy a used car from a dealer and make sure it was Certified as private sellers sometimes are remiss in reporting any deficiencies if in fact they know about any!
AL

Last edited by BCJAG; 12-11-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Just as a note you're in the wrong section of the forum for a 2013 XF. That is the X250 area you want. Maybe a moderator can shift the thread over?

I wondered about why you say it can't tow?

The leapers are aftermarket add ons - usually with strong double sided automotive tape. So could be easy to remove. But a few are drilled so definitely check...

The following users liked this post:
uab9253 (01-31-2017)
Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by BCJAG
Hi
I am curious about your comment re "...aluminum don't tow". The 2016 Jaguar XF is arguably better constructed and with crush zones and boron steel beams than other luxury marques. Has Jaguar told you they cannot be used to tow anything. I was told I couldn't tow with my BMW528i when I had it yet half of Europe with BMWs tow different things like small trailers and caravans,

Good luck in hour search. I would buy a used car from a dealer and make sure it was Certified as private sellers sometimes are remiss in reporting any deficiencies if in fact they know about any!
AL
Aluminum from my understanding will crack where the hitch is installed so no one will make a hitch set up to go on it. Doesn't mean it isn't strong, just not suitable to the nature. No one makes hitches for the 14-. I did realize that after I posted there is a dif. model number for the olders. Would prefer aluminum as I live in the rust belt but I don't see that happening as it just isn't a strong selling point to most Jag owners to develop a safe towing system for an alumium unibody. We just have a utility trailer for yard waste, etc so I'm not willing to buy a car that doesn't do what the car it replaces could do.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Aluminum from my understanding will crack where the hitch is installed so no one will make a hitch set up to go on it. Doesn't mean it isn't strong, just not suitable to the nature.
Not sure that's right. The Range Rover, RR Sport, new discovery etc are all aluminium chassis construction and they have amazing towing capabilities.

See this article on the Jag XF website in the U.K. From a few months ago.
JAGUAR XF MAKES IT FOUR WINS IN FIVE YEARS AT THE TOW CAR AWARDS 2016

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/news/tow-car-2016-awards.html

It looks like you can absolutely use it as a tow car

Old 12-12-2016, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Not sure that's right. The Range Rover, RR Sport, new discovery etc are all aluminium chassis construction and they have amazing towing capabilities.

See this article on the Jag XF website in the U.K. From a few months ago.
JAGUAR XF MAKES IT FOUR WINS IN FIVE YEARS AT THE TOW CAR AWARDS 2016

Tow Car Awards 2016 | Jaguar News | Jaguar UK

It looks like you can absolutely use it as a tow car
The Rangie was designed with towing in mind and has tow bars or hitches available, the XF even in England doesn't from my search The odd thing I've found is that in England tow bar makers say the bars fit thru 2015. I'd be happy with a aluminum as the car is a freaking pig in the weight department to begin with. Dont' want to pay $1000 for a custom made one that hasn't been thought out as far as the tear happy aluminum and of course the dissimilar metals.

Last edited by TreVoRTasmin; 12-12-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

I guess it strikes me as strange that the XF could win tow car award for tow car of the year in 2016 (again) and Jaguar promote that on their own website if it's not suitable for towing