XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Neutral with a dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Neutral with a dead battery

The owners manual gives no helpful information on how to put the transmission into neutral for moving. Is it the same remove center console panel and pull the red strap (still hard to believe they actually did that)? There's few enough Jaguars around my neck of the woods to worry about this.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
The owners manual gives no helpful information on how to put the transmission into neutral for moving. Is it the same remove center console panel and pull the red strap (still hard to believe they actually did that)? There's few enough Jaguars around my neck of the woods to worry about this.
No info but IMHO I would always have the car on a flat bed towtruck and not pulled anyway if it had to be moved. But it is a good question to ask Jaguar.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
No info but IMHO I would always have the car on a flat bed towtruck and not pulled anyway if it had to be moved....
So how do you get it on the flatbed? Not all tow trucks are equipped with dollies.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:12 PM

All tow truck drivers know that if the car has a dead transmission they cannot tow it on either the front or rear wheels depending on car. BCAA here and AA or AAA in UK would be same. They know the safe way to move your car if it cannot be boosted or driven. it is generally not recommended to tow any auto car in neutral for more than a short distance and below 50MPH here. I would specific the flatbed and see if it is available. Otherwise they tow the car Rear up or front up depending on the fwd or rwd.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
All tow truck drivers know that if the car has a dead transmission they cannot tow it on either the front or rear wheels depending on car. BCAA here and AA or AAA in UK would be same. They know the safe way to move your car if it cannot be boosted or driven....
I don't have the same confidence that all the tow operators in the South West United States have the expected expertise. I want to be able to instruct them if they don't know. There's many stretches of 100 miles in the deserts that have limited towing capabilities and you get what is available. I have 5 years of free towing but that doesn't mean I want my car damaged in the process just because it's covered. Yes I'm being over concerned but experience tells me it's better to be safe than sorry. Incidentally, I've never been towed in 55 years of driving except once when the car was totaled and damage from towing meant nothing.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I don't have the same confidence that all the tow operators in the South West United States have the expected expertise. I want to be able to instruct them if they don't know. There's many stretches of 100 miles in the deserts that have limited towing capabilities and you get what is available. I have 5 years of free towing but that doesn't mean I want my car damaged in the process just because it's covered. Yes I'm being over concerned but experience tells me it's better to be safe than sorry. Incidentally, I've never been towed in 55 years of driving except once when the car was totaled and damage from towing meant nothing.
Heh. I have 55 years of driving experience too. Started out in an Austin A50 manual gearbox. Loved it.
I share your concern. If the tow truck picks up the Jag by the rear(ie re txn) then the nose is on the ground. It makes me shudder. We have the Jaguar Emergency number which I would use and they would hopefully send a rig which can flatbed the car. Hope I don't have to find out or you either. And we do go Stateside too.
AL

Old 12-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Many of these cars are AWD so you won't want to tow on either set of wheels

And even with a flatbed they will need to drag the car on its wheels up the ramp onto the flatbed. So you will absolutely want to disable the transmission.

There must be a way to do it - surprising that it's not in the manual. Is there a small panel in the central drive tunnel with the red tag in it like on the older XF model?

Old 12-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
....There must be a way to do it - surprising that it's not in the manual....
Per the manual....."The recovery agent must activate the transmission park release before recovery commences. The procedure is covered in a separate publication for service personnel. Failure to activate the transmission park release can result in serious transmission damage."

Originally Posted by BritCars
.... Is there a small panel in the central drive tunnel with the red tag in it like on the older XF model?..
I asked in the thread starter but no responses.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To put a 2016 and up Jaguar XF in Neutral

From the AAA Road Service manual.

Operating the Shift Interlock Override: The shift interlock override is located in the engine compartment on the driver’s side of the intake manifold. To access, carefully remove the black plastic cover on the intake manifold by lifting upward. 
Lift the black lever on the shift interlock override to the vertical position (1).
 Engage the securing latch to hold the handle in position (2). 
The transmission will remain in Neutral until the shift interlock override is released.

Here is a link to the manual there are illustrations
https://aaacampus.aaa.biz/wp-content...F%20QRG%20.pdf

Old 04-18-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

I had a similar problem a few years ago when the transmission on my BMW died....3 tow trucks could NOT get it in neutral. it was AWD...so towing was not an option, had to be flatbedded.

some trucks come with "skates"....a plastic piece that they can slide under the wheel to slide the car on the flatbed. the wheels dont turn

Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing link to solve all kind of issues. Hard copy just went in the manual. Thank you mtores1