XF (X260) 2015 onwards

XF Auto stop start

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XF Auto stop start

Can anyone help me here? i have a brand new Jaguar XF Prestige and the aoto stop start is dring me mad, is there anyway of deactivating it pernanenty? Maybe a fuse somewhere.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Read the previous thread called Start Stop Revisited. That should help

Old 12-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

No way to shut it off permanently. You have to shut it off every time you start he car.

This is absolutely the worst thing about this car. I hate it. At least you can shut it off, there's some cars where you can't at all.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:18 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

But what about https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...isited-171626/ where the fellow says:

"Aha moment! There is a small black wire connected to the right side of the battery (the post has 2 screws) and the one on the right screw disconnects the start stop function."

================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 12-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

This is a completely computer controlled behavior. Any wire or something like that is just trying to make the computer think there is a failure and not do what it is supposed to do. The problem is you don't know what the side effects of it could be.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It drove me mad too when I first had a vehicle with the technology but you get used to it or you learn to adapt. Whenever you place your car in gear, make it a habit to always turn it off.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW I just read in my Jag manual that on my 2016 XF Prestige the auto/start stop does NOT activate over about 100 degrees F or below 32 degree F which might be helpful for those living in extreme climates who don't like the feature. Just saying...

Happy New Year 2017 everyone
AL

Old 01-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT h0llywood
It drove me mad too when I first had a vehicle with the technology but you get used to it or you learn to adapt. Whenever you place your car in gear, make it a habit to always turn it off.
After 6 months, I still occasionally forget and release a small burst of profanity when it shuts off and "reminds" me. For me, I'm not adventurous enough to pull the wire in the trunk to disable. Too many posts about potential issues to battery charging, warning messages, to say nothing of potential warranty coverage issues.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was young all my cars had pull-up handbrake arms. I have taught myself to simply hit the disconnect button right after starting the car. If is a poor auto-start actuation which BMW had on it's first auto-start cars. I don't see why the DEALER cannot disconnect it for customers who don't want it. BMW did!!

Old 01-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by uab9253
.... Too many posts about potential issues to battery charging, warning messages, to say nothing of potential warranty coverage issues.
Mine's been disconnected for weeks now with no side effects, no failure messages, and there's only one (main) battery in the X260. If you're worried about warranty coverage it's so quick and easy to connect/disconnect just reconnect it before service.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Mine's been disconnected for weeks now with no side effects, no failure messages, and there's only one (main) battery in the X260. If you're worried about warranty coverage it's so quick and easy to connect/disconnect just reconnect it before service.
Thanks! I may lay back and watch for a bit to those who have done this to see if there ends up being any gotchas.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Been plugged over a month now with no side effects.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:24 AM
Smile It Works

Hi, i did disconnect the wire to the battery. Absolutely no problem, no warning lights or issues at all. The best thing ever.
Thank you all who suggested this.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I took an easy path (read:lazy path). I called to Jaguar care NA (1-800-452-4827 option 9) and left a suggestion that they either put a stop delay or (preferred) make possible that it remembers the last settings (i.e if it was off when I turn off the car it remains off when I start it) I figured if enough people complain they might actually think of implementing it. Slim chance, but a chance nevertheless... So people, start dialing!

Old 03-22-2017, 04:47 AM
Default Legally

Legally, at least here in the UK they can't give you the ability to turn it off permanently due to emission laws and the revenue (BIK).

Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerard
Legally, at least here in the UK they can't give you the ability to turn it off permanently due to emission laws and the revenue (BIK).

I'm not asking to turn it off permanently. All I'm asking is to remember its last settings instead of turning it on by default.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
"Aha moment! There is a small black wire connected to the right side of the battery (the post has 2 screws) and the one on the right screw disconnects the start stop function."
Where are you seeing the small black wire? Thanks.

This is a '16 XF-S

Old 04-21-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by JGarland
Where are you seeing the small black wire? Thanks.

This is a '16 XF-S

Duh, the battery is under the spare. Found the black wire (it was actually blue and orange under the black wrap) on the side of the positive battery post, removed it.

Will check if it works and report back.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JGarland
Where are you seeing the small black wire? Thanks......This is a '16 XF-S...
No little black wire in the x260. Just disconnect the plug at the module. The module is accessed through the service panel on the passenger side inside the trunk. Open door, the module is above the fuse panel (black, about 3"X4") remove the large grey plug with one heavy gauge black wire coming out of it. Disconnected mine a couple months now with no issues. "A Off" shows up automatically now every time the car is started. No error codes. No annoying rumble when you forget to push the button Unless you spend an exorbitant amount of time idling there's little noticeable fuel savings with Stop/Start. Also, as a side effect, your battery should stay happier, longer and your AC will be more efficient.

PS: Hmmm....you're the second person that has reported a different battery arrangement. I wonder if that was a MY '17 change? Either method works as both remove the ground from the Stop/Start module.

Last edited by mleskovar; 04-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SPNJHockey (07-04-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
No little black wire in the x260. Just disconnect the plug at the module. The module is accessed through the service panel on the passenger side inside the trunk. Open door, the module is above the fuse panel (black, about 3"X4") remove the large grey plug with one heavy gauge black wire coming out of it. Disconnected mine a couple months now with no issues. "A Off" shows up automatically now every time the car is started. No error codes. No annoying rumble when you forget to push the button Unless you spend an exorbitant amount of time idling there's little noticeable fuel savings with Stop/Start. Also, as a side effect, your battery should stay happier, longer and your AC will be more efficient.

PS: Hmmm....you're the second person that has reported a different battery arrangement. I wonder if that was a MY '17 change? Either method works as both remove the ground from the Stop/Start module.
Ok thanks. Here is a pic of the trunk fuse box. Which module do you pull?

FYI. I can confirm pulling the small cable from the right of the battery does work.

The following users liked this post:
SPNJHockey (07-04-2017)