XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XFR Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2010 XFR Overheating

Hi All,

My 2010 XFR overheats at low speeds in traffic. I have hooked up an OBD reader to find the following:
- The car is capable of regulating it's temperature when driving around in the city (60 kph/40 mph). It keeps the temp at roughly 90C.
- When idling the temperature will go above 90C. I watched it go to 115C when the 'engine hot' warning kicked in. Then to 117C when the engine 'overheating message' was displayed. During this time the rad fan turned on for 3 or 4 seconds then never turned on again. At this point I shut the vehicle off and went to work.

I tried to check the fuse. The manual says location F17 for an 80A fuse. Well, there is nothing in location F17. I think it's a mistake.

My questions to you guys are:
1. What is the correct location of the rad fan fuse?
2. Any ideas on diagnosis for the overheating problem? My best guess is the fan controller if there is such a thing

Thanks in advance for the help,
Oldie

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Is there a dealer in the 'toon or do you have to go to Regina?

It is likely the fuse is not an issue if the fan will switch on. If it is now permanently inoperative then obviously a fuse is number one and maybe a relay. Maybe call your closest dealership and ask?

Also, the AC system should energize the fan if AC is demanded by the HVAC. If it doesn't then you have an electrical failure.

The cooling systems usually have a low speed and a high speed function fed by two different relays or circuits.

If not a fuse or relay then I think Jaguar would use fan controller software unlikely to be faulty.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by oldie
Hi All,

My 2010 XFR overheats at low speeds in traffic. ........
Oldie,

I've deleted your duplicate thread in General Tech Help. To answer your question there, only the Moderator Team can delete threads.

Graham

Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
Is there a dealer in the 'toon or do you have to go to Regina?

It is likely the fuse is not an issue if the fan will switch on. If it is now permanently inoperative then obviously a fuse is number one and maybe a relay. Maybe call your closest dealership and ask?

Also, the AC system should energize the fan if AC is demanded by the HVAC. If it doesn't then you have an electrical failure.

The cooling systems usually have a low speed and a high speed function fed by two different relays or circuits.

If not a fuse or relay then I think Jaguar would use fan controller software unlikely to be faulty.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that a fuse is very unlikely however it's something I wanted to check anyway. If the controller is upstream of the fuse, I was going to see if there was voltage present that the fan wasn't acting on.

There is a dealership here and I am booked in however, if possible, I like to fix these things myself to save cash.

The ac engaging the fan is a good tip. I'll check that out.

I'm also going to give the fan a spin to see if it moves freely.

Any idea where the fan controller and relay are? I would like to probe it with my multi meter. I'm thinking this is where the issue is.

I'd also like to check all connections if I knew where they were. Any one have a wiring diagram for this car?

Thanks,

Last edited by oldie; 07-31-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I know exactly what you are going through. Unfortunately the fan and controller on an XF is an integrated unit that cannot easily be separated. Jaguar designed the unit to be able to a one part replacement. However the fan motor assembly is very expensive from Jaguar. I searched around and found several on eBay. Here is one so you can see the assembly and how the controller is mounted on to the fan motor assembly. The controller is the computer box at the center of the fan motor where the wires go in. You have to replace the unit as one part. This will solve your issues. The actual work to replace it is quite easy and only requires the removal of the intake tubing.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Fan controllers are a known issue with these, dealer did mine earlier this year. The fan and controller are replaced as one.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Default Dealer diagnosis

Took it to the dealer and they said the water pump is done. I guess the pulley has a pretty decent wobble. He tested to rad fan and controller and said that he was able to engage the fan without any issues. Im not sure how the symptoms point to the water pump. Hopefully he is right.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Took it to the dealer and they said the water pump is done. I guess the pulley has a pretty decent wobble. He tested to rad fan and controller and said that he was able to engage the fan without any issues. Im not sure how the symptoms point to the water pump. Hopefully he is right.
I hope that he is right for your sake. But I know that he is wrong. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 AM

Well, the new water pump is in after 1500 bucks. In just driving it home from the dealership, the car seems to regulate temperature just fine. In fact, it seems to have more cooling capacity. Now when the thermostat opens, the car gets even cooler than before. Seems unexpected given the original symptoms. Will report back status after more driving.

It was an expensive job. Two of the four bolts were stuck. I hope for my sake the replacement pump is a better design than the original (for design life). I also hope they used an anti seize compound on the bolts.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 PM

So today was nice and warm and I got to test the fan controller. Car still overheats, just like sharky says. Overheating happens in the same way - at idle. Fan doesn't turn on. Not very happy with the dealer at the moment

Old 08-12-2015, 05:08 AM

So today was nice and warm and I got to test the fan controller. Car still overheats, just like sharky says. Overheating happens in the same way - at idle. Fan doesn't turn on. Not very happy with the dealer at the moment
I posted all the info on my other thread in which you asked for the information and part numbers. If I were you, I would order it myself and then replace it myself. It should take about a half hour to change. Maybe if you are mechanically challenged, an hour to do it. But it is very easy and I can give you the directions.

Ed

Old 08-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Kind of sucks when guys on the internet know more than the dealer and you waste $1500

Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 AM

LOL, Actually, I think dealers love to prey on the uninformed and mechanically challenged. I just hate paying for something that I can do myself and save money. I just wish that I could do that with my health care. Can you imagine me doing a write up on the internet for heart surgery?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 AM

Agreed. Although, I don't consider myself mechanically challenged.

I knew what the problem was going in. They had three people on the line assuring me that they need to fix the water pump because the pulley was wobbling like crazy and that the pump was grinding and growling. I'll post a video of what it sounds like and the bearing shimmy it has (if you can even call it that).

This biggest thing I'm afraid of is breaking a bolt in the block. Otherwise, I prefer to do my own work as well. Except now I have a baby that runs my life...

Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 AM

I was just wondering if they gave you the old water pump or if you were able to examine it to see what exactly was the problem with it.....

Old 08-21-2015, 07:55 AM

Yes I have it. I'll post pictures and a video hopefully this weekend.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 AM

I've attached the updated instructable and native file.

My new fan finally came in. I was able to install it and successfully test it. Looks like the problem is solved so far. More driving while watching the temperature of the car is in order to make sure the problem is gone.

Hopefully someone can post the instructable in an area where others are located.

Thanks for all the help.

Ryan

Attached Files
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Sharky
I was just wondering if they gave you the old water pump or if you were able to examine it to see what exactly was the problem with it.....
I've taken a look at the water pump and disassembled it as much as I could without using a hyrdaulic press which I don't have. The pulley has a very slight wobble and it sounds like a bearing clip has rattled loose. Other than that, it turns nicely, is fairly quiet and very solid. In my opinion, it probably would have lasted a long time. I have a feeling the clip that came loose is the reason for the slight wobble. So the bearing might be fine.

The wobble and rattle are not ideal however, both are so minor that I don't believe the function or reliability of the pump were greatly affected.

I certainly wasn't on it's last legs as the mechanic and manager led me to believe. I'm going to be talking to the dealership about this.

I would like to try to refurbish the pump if anyone can walk me through getting the bearing out of the housing.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 XFR Overheating-20150822_063800.jpg   2010 XFR Overheating-20150822_064241.jpg   2010 XFR Overheating-20150822_064304.jpg   2010 XFR Overheating-20150822_064333.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Sharky
I took the pump because I was upset with them and wanted to examine it. See previous post for my diagnosis. I've attached a video of it.

Attached Files
Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 AM

I've attached the updated instructable and native file.

My new fan finally came in. I was able to install it and successfully test it. Looks like the problem is solved so far. More driving while watching the temperature of the car is in order to make sure the problem is gone.

Hopefully someone can post the instructable in an area where others are located.

Thanks for all the help.

Ryan
One quick update (attachments)

Attached Files

Quick Reply: 2010 XFR Overheating