XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Am I losing power or is it my imagination.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i bought a cheapy $20 OBD scanner from pepboys yesterday. reported 0 codes, which is good.

but i wonder if there is a huge difference between a $20 scanner and a $200 scanner. would the more expensive one actually work better?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
No, it's the actual intake valves. Deposits build up on them slowly as you put more miles on the car. So it's a slow effect of robbing power so you won't notice it since you drive the car every day.

You need to remove the intake manifold and clean them off. It's a very baked on tar-like substance, and I found it's best to use throttle body cleaner by letting it soak the valves and then scrub gently with a firm brush.

Not a fun job, but that's the downside of direct injection. You can google it to learn more.

I did it on my gray XF and it made a big difference in power.
my intake was only replaced a few months back could this still be an issue? It was replaced in November ?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, literally thousands of codes can be generated without causing a CEL, a good/proper code reader will show most of them, although to see all of them in detail you need the proper SDD equipment.
I use an iCarsoft i930, picks up almost everything, see here: iCarsoft -Professional Multi System Scanner For LandRover / Jaguar / OBDII -i930 eBay
i like how this is targeted for jaguar. Would this work better than the Bluetooth options available ?

Old 02-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
my intake was only replaced a few months back could this still be an issue? It was replaced in November ?
We are not talking about the intake. We are talking about the intake valves. They probably didn't clean them, or bother to even look at them when they replaced your intake. So yes, it can still be an issue.

How many miles on your car?

Old 02-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
i bought a cheapy $20 OBD scanner from pepboys yesterday. reported 0 codes, which is good.

but i wonder if there is a huge difference between a $20 scanner and a $200 scanner. would the more expensive one actually work better?
Well yeah, the cheap generic OBD2 scanners only read P codes, and often only the standardised codes set by the SAE.

In these modern vehicles there are four different types of codes;

P - Powertrain
C - Chassis
B - Body
U - Network

For example if you have an ABS fault, that will have C codes, if you have an airbag fault, that will be B codes, and so on. But a little $20 generic scanner will not see these.

And of the powertrain codes, there are literally hundreds of manufacturer-specific codes that a generic scanner will not see.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:54 PM

We are not talking about the intake. We are talking about the intake valves. They probably didn't clean them, or bother to even look at them when they replaced your intake. So yes, it can still be an issue.

How many miles on your car?
ah I wasn't sure if it was part of the whole thing.. pushing close to 100k now

Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Mine were pretty gummed up at 50k miles. I have a thread on here somewhere with pics showing the before and after. My car also idles smoother after the cleaning. Clean you MAF and throttle body while you are at it..

Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Mine were pretty gummed up at 50k miles. I have a thread on here somewhere with pics showing the before and after. My car also idles smoother after the cleaning. Clean you MAF and throttle body while you are at it..
could that be why I feel a rumble / shake while at idle? Is cleaning the maf and throttle bottle big jobs?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

my car too has a rumble/shake at idle. would LOVE some information on how to clean the intake valves as well as the MAF and throttle body

Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

The MAF sensors are a doddle to clean, just get a spray can of MAF sensor cleaner (I use CRC brand).
Each sensor is held on with a pair of Torx screws (T20 IIRC), just undo those screws, disconnect the wiring plugs, then take the sensors to your workbench and spray the wires (two bits on each sensor) 5 or 6 times, allow a minute or so to dry, then refit.

The following users liked this post:
webshark (02-21-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

just dropped off the car at the shop for an oil change and to look into cleaning out the sensors