XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Battery replacement for key fob

Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery replacement for key fob

I am new to Jaguar..purchased a 2009 XF SC about 6 weeks ago so what i am about to say may be old hat to the seasoned vets but for us new guys, they need to hear this.

Yesterday, my car computer told me that my battery is running low on my key fob..can you imagine that...I have never seen that in any other car...anyhow, I went to my dealer and picked up a new battery ($8) and inserted in the key fob...message on my car computer went away.

It's the little things described above that will keep me , not only impressed but I may become a life long Jaguar buyer.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchgeek
I am new to Jaguar..purchased a 2009 XF SC about 6 weeks ago so what i am about to say may be old hat to the seasoned vets but for us new guys, they need to hear this.

Yesterday, my car computer told me that my battery is running low on my key fob..can you imagine that...I have never seen that in any other car...anyhow, I went to my dealer and picked up a new battery ($8) and inserted in the key fob...message on my car computer went away.

It's the little things described above that will keep me , not only impressed but I may become a life long Jaguar buyer.
Your Smart Key can start your car two ways, Actively or Passively. Passive starting is when the key is in your pocket and you start the car. Passive relys on the battery inside the key, as does the remote button functions. Active starting is available for the instance your key battery has failed or run down. It will still start the car, but you have to put the Smart Key in the start control unit in the rear of the console cubby in order for the car to recognize the key. They had the forethought to make the car tell you if the battery gets low.

Welcome to life long Jaguar ownership!!

Cheers,

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Also, the battery is a commonly available calculator type pan battery readily available just about everywhere for much less than $8 ( though you probably have to buy them in pairs). The installation instructions are in the owners handbook and are simple.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try Amazon... I got a deal on 5 five paks (25) of Energizers for under 10 bucks... I see they now have five paks for under five bucks... I have a drawer full of "watch" batteries because every time I need one I go to Amazon and buy multiples for way cheaper... Not trying to rub it in anyone’s face but batteries are a pain in the butt when you buy one at a time... especially for eight bucks... Google is your friend... lol

Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wife's Tech
Try Amazon... I got a deal on 5 five paks (25) of Energizers for under 10 bucks... I see they now have five paks for under five bucks... I have a drawer full of "watch" batteries because every time I need one I go to Amazon and buy multiples for way cheaper... Not trying to rub it in anyone’s face but batteries are a pain in the butt when you buy one at a time... especially for eight bucks... Google is your friend... lol
Yes, but batteries do have a shelf life. How often do the FOB batteries need changing? I suppose for $5, it's not a big deal to keep some around even if they're not totally fresh, but I can see a situation where, if the timing isn't right, the spares go bad just as the battery in the FOB needs changing. Or, you change the battery and it soon needs changing again because the "new" battery is actually "old." Only lithium ion batteries have a really long shelf life.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
Yes, but batteries do have a shelf life. How often do the FOB batteries need changing? I suppose for $5, it's not a big deal to keep some around even if they're not totally fresh, but I can see a situation where, if the timing isn't right, the spares go bad just as the battery in the FOB needs changing. Or, you change the battery and it soon needs changing again because the "new" battery is actually "old." Only lithium ion batteries have a really long shelf life.
Been there with old "new" batteries... lol This happened at Radio Shack and it was a pair of new batteries I bought off the shelf for my remote starter... lasted maybe a month. The 2032's I bought from Amazon are lithium ion and supposedly have a 2017 good to date. I bought them from a seller on Amazon and not from Amazon directly. I added the batteries on a book order that was over $25 so I would get free shipping. Sounds funny when I write this... 40K car finding a deal for $5 batteries... lol