XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bloody Portland Potholes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Bloody Portland Potholes

Yesterday I managed to drive over a 1' long 4" deep pothole on a side road in Portland. End result is a new rim and tire as the tire was pinched, causing a rip I can put my middle finger through and the rim has a heck of a ding in it..... At least $1k is the estimate, and I haven't had the suspension inspected for bent/broken things.... Nothing to do but replace, but boy this winter has taken a toll on the road around here and the council doesn't seem to be fixing anything... Just venting.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:09 AM
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by timfountain
Yesterday I managed to drive over a 1' long 4" deep pothole on a side road in Portland. End result is a new rim and tire as the tire was pinched, causing a rip I can put my middle finger through and the rim has a heck of a ding in it..... At least $1k is the estimate, and I haven't had the suspension inspected for bent/broken things.... Nothing to do but replace, but boy this winter has taken a toll on the road around here and the council doesn't seem to be fixing anything... Just venting.
That's a fact. Not much better on the outskirts of PDX. I have done plenty of venting too but no one but us commoners seems to listen. I have lost some parts on vehicles due to our unexpectedly difficult winter. <Sigh> At least it gives me something to do this Spring

Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 314 Likes on 241 Posts

If you have a lot of potholes, don't tailgate, and pay attention to the road.

I have a Lambo and a Lotus, and the last thing I want to do is hit a pothole with those cars, and I never do, because I don't tailgate, and I pay attention to the road.

That's why the city makes it hard to get them to pay for your damage due to potholes, because you aren't supposed to tailgate, and you're supposed to pay attention to the road.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
If you have a lot of potholes, don't tailgate, and pay attention to the road.

I have a Lambo and a Lotus, and the last thing I want to do is hit a pothole with those cars, and I never do, because I don't tailgate, and I pay attention to the road.

That's why the city makes it hard to get them to pay for your damage due to potholes, because you aren't supposed to tailgate, and you're supposed to pay attention to the road.
lotus....the reality is the last thing you wanna do is come to Portland and tell us that you are here...such a snotty little chap ; )

Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 AM

ive got a full set of jag chrome wheels... un bent ill sell you cheap as they are just sitting in boxes in the garage

Old 02-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 314 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Injekter
lotus....the reality is the last thing you wanna do is come to Portland and tell us that you are here...such a snotty little chap ; )
Been almost everywhere, but never wanted to go to Portland. Let us know when you are the great state of Texas you sweet little pansy!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 PM

Just a comment on the tailgating. I was the only car on the very poorly lit side road, doing ~25MPH, in the dark and it was raining (well it is Portland). I just did not see it in time to completely avoid it. I did see it and managed to avert driving into the pothole with the front tire, but the rear was no so lucky...

Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Been almost everywhere, but never wanted to go to Portland. Let us know when you are the great state of Texas you sweet little pansy!
hahaha...... ill do that

Old 02-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by timfountain
That's tough. Do you have the Volans wheels ('09 SC model)? They are selling on eBay around $400

Any chance you can have it straightened? I've had great success straightening a bent 20 inch rim on mine. And it cost about $120 all in

Old 02-26-2017, 09:57 AM

OP... ive used skips wheel werks... in beaverton to straighten and paint the wheels on my STR excellent work...

Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the messages. The rim turned out to be OK and balanced up fine, but cosmetically not as it was before. They are the Volans wheels. I'll just wait to see how it plays out, for sure the lacquer is damaged so I will need to get it refinished at some point. I looked at the ebay wheels but honestly, most of them were in pretty poor condition from kerb rash, which mine don't have.....