XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bluetooth Streaming Adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sorapp
I have a 2010 XF Portfolio. I connected my Tune2Air directly to the 30 pin iPhone connector that came with my car, I did not need anything else. It works perfectly with my iPhone 5s.
Unfortunately, when I purchased my car used over the summer, it did not come with this cable. I went ahead and purchased the cable from the link I posted earlier...so we'll see how that works out.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

It looks right to me - we have a Land Rover LR4 as well as the XF and they appear to be the same cable connectors. Only difference I can see is that the XF is a short straight cable and the LR4 is a coiled cable. But I think you'll find it works fine!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can the phone connect to both the car blue tooth for phone, and the tune2air for music? I thought you could only pair it with one device?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The iPhone connects to the Tune2Air via Bluetooth. The Tune2Air is connected to the car via the cable in the console. The iPhone does not actually connect directly to the car for streaming. The iPhone does simultaneously connect to the car Bluetooth for phone operation. If you are listening to music and you wish to make or receive a call, the music mutes until the call terminates. This is because the Bluetooth protocol in the iPhone supports multiple connections. The secret to the Tune2Air is that it supports digital audio from the iPhone, which is necessary for the car to interact with the iPhone. Most low priced Bluetooth adapters only support analog. This is the equivalent of plugging in a headphone. That's why they do not provide control from the head unit nor display song info.

Last edited by sorapp; 01-28-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,
Just another suggestion. This is an adapter very similar to tune2air but cheaper and available at futureshop.
Aluratek 30-Pin Bluetooth Adapter (AIS03F) : Bluetooth Home Audio - Future Shop

Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sorapp
The iPhone connects to the Tune2Air via Bluetooth. The Tune2Air is connected to the car via the cable in the console. The iPhone does not actually connect directly to the car for streaming. The iPhone does simultaneously connect to the car Bluetooth for phone operation. If you are listening to music and you wish to make or receive a call, the music mutes until the call terminates. This is because the Bluetooth protocol in the iPhone supports multiple connections. The secret to the Tune2Air is that it supports digital audio from the iPhone, which is necessary for the car to interact with the iPhone. Most low priced Bluetooth adapters only support analog. This is the equivalent of plugging in a headphone. That's why they do not provide control from the head unit nor display song info.
Thanks for replying. I ordered the tune2air, and can't wait to get this working. Everything was fine in my 2012 xfR until I upgraded from the iPhone 4s to the 5s. I've seen other posts from people with the same issue that this will resolve. This is going to be great!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 AM

I'm curious what you feel the Tune2Air will do differently than what the 2012 XFR does. I had a 2012 loaner recently and it has the same capabilities as the Tune2Air, built in. I have an iPhone 5s and was able to use the phone and streaming features without any issue.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 S/C and I just got my Tune2Air in the mail today. I set it up, it connects but only plays a second of the song on Pandora and then it stops. I can continue to hit play on pandora and it will only play a second again and then basically pause. Any one experience this?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

What if you start it playing on the car vs. on the phone (go to 'audio', check it's got ipod selected, and hit the play button on there)?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 AM

I can't speak to the Pandora app since I don't use it. I have had experience with the SiriusXM app on my iPhone 5s and I can report that it works perfectly through the Tune2Air.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

this happens occasionally. Go to Audio and push "Aux", then go back to Ipod. This should fix the issue

Old 05-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nooncat
I have an 09 S/C and I just got my Tune2Air in the mail today. I set it up, it connects but only plays a second of the song on Pandora and then it stops. I can continue to hit play on pandora and it will only play a second again and then basically pause. Any one experience this?
Same thing here! iPhone 5, Pandora One, 2012 XKR-S.

This happens whether I plug the phone in directly (via Lightning adapter) to the car's 30-pin iPod connector, or connect via the Tune2Air Bluetooth.

Driving me nuts... plays for a second and stops. ARRRRRGGGHHHHH!

Rich

Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using Tune2air with a Samsung Galaxy S5 in my 2011 XF portfolio. Pandora and all other services work great BUT...
As near as I can tell(from trial and error) the Tune2air treats the in dash system as authoritative. When I am playing any music service off my phone the commands executed in the app don't "hold". If I hit pause in the app for example it will only do so for a second then right back to playing. If I go to the console audio option, select IPod, then press pause it work just fine. Same goes for playing if it is paused on the console I can't restart from the phone. A bit annoying to but not a show stopper. Happier now that I know how the darn thing works. They should add an FAQ on their site about the logic employed. Hope that helps demystify it a bit.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by iptv65
I am using Tune2air with a Samsung Galaxy S5 in my 2011 XF portfolio. Pandora and all other services work great BUT...
As near as I can tell(from trial and error) the Tune2air treats the in dash system as authoritative. When I am playing any music service off my phone the commands executed in the app don't "hold". If I hit pause in the app for example it will only do so for a second then right back to playing. If I go to the console audio option, select IPod, then press pause it work just fine. Same goes for playing if it is paused on the console I can't restart from the phone. A bit annoying to but not a show stopper. Happier now that I know how the darn thing works. They should add an FAQ on their site about the logic employed. Hope that helps demystify it a bit.
Hmmm... do you think it would make a difference whether Pandora was started on the device prior to Bluetooth pairing? I'm trying to find out if I'm just screwing up a necessary sequence order...

Rich

Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I've been using this:

Robot Check Robot Check

It's been working like a champ with my Iphone 5 playing podcasts, music, itunes radio and switching from calls to music.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajay Mann
Hey guys,
Just another suggestion. This is an adapter very similar to tune2air but cheaper and available at futureshop.
Aluratek 30-Pin Bluetooth Adapter (AIS03F) : Bluetooth Home Audio - Future Shop
This one does not work for me in my '10 XKR.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems I haven't seen a direct answer to this - does the Tune2air work with Android in the same way it works with iOS? I have a LG G3 and would love to be able to control it via the head unit in my '11 XFR. I already have a device called the BlueTrip (plug into 12V, it has AUX out and turns your AUX jack into a Bluetooth input). It's a very simple device however and just let's you playback music (no control).

If the Tune2air would add the ability to control playback and track selection I'd splurge for it and the cable (bought my car private party so no cable). Otherwise if it's just simple streaming I'll stick with my Bluetrip.

Thanks!

-Ross

Old 12-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LotusExige
Seems I haven't seen a direct answer to this - does the Tune2air work with Android in the same way it works with iOS? I have a LG G3 and would love to be able to control it via the head unit in my '11 XFR. I already have a device called the BlueTrip (plug into 12V, it has AUX out and turns your AUX jack into a Bluetooth input). It's a very simple device however and just let's you playback music (no control).

If the Tune2air would add the ability to control playback and track selection I'd splurge for it and the cable (bought my car private party so no cable). Otherwise if it's just simple streaming I'll stick with my Bluetrip.

Thanks!

-Ross
I just got a tune2air it will allow control but it will NOT show text on the screen.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler
I just got a tune2air it will allow control but it will NOT show text on the screen.
Ok, so to be 100% clear I can control playback of next/previous track and volume from the steering wheel but that's it. I assume the headunit just displays something like "iPod Input" or something like that but again no display of what track is actually playing from Android.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Android to add that - is it a core OS, driver or App issue. Either way it seems that my Bluetrip is nearly as good as the tune2air as I can easily skip tracks just using the phone's lock screen.

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LotusExige
Ok, so to be 100% clear I can control playback of next/previous track and volume from the steering wheel but that's it. I assume the headunit just displays something like "iPod Input" or something like that but again no display of what track is actually playing from Android.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Android to add that - is it a core OS, driver or App issue. Either way it seems that my Bluetrip is nearly as good as the tune2air as I can easily skip tracks just using the phone's lock screen.

Thanks for the information.
Yes and it displays iPod Input on the screen.

[APP][4.0.3+] PodMode - Connect ur Android d… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

There is this project that allows you to make a custom cable that will give you full functionality and it also works with some bluetooth adapters but not tune2air. The developer comes across as an arrogant ***** when people ask him about compatibility with other devices so i doubt he ever updates the app to work with tune2air and he has no plans on making it an open source project.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Streaming Adapter?