XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

bubbling dashboard on my XF

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default bubbling dashboard on my XF

Hello, I have the same issue with my XF with bubbling dashboard. I called JaguarUSA and got the lame excuse that it has something to do with the heat from the sun. They claim they do NOT have a bulletin(notification and/or complaints from other customers) so therefore, they are NOT willing to fix the dash. It's so frustrating because these cars are expensive and they are not old enough(XFs 1st year of prod was 2009) to have this issue. Call 1800 452 4827 and complain again. They made note of my complaint in which I have a case # for, but they are still not willing to pay for repair. I will take them to court as well. Best wishes!

The following 2 users liked this post by lex2dre:
Caribbeangirl7 (02-13-2017), loco4myjag (03-21-2016)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same thing with mine. I just bought it and the dash is bubbling. It's an 09 so I doubt they'll cover it, but it sucks that it happened.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 10 and mine did it too.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2010 with the same issue and many in this forum have had the same problem. Mine is being replace by Jaguar warranty when the new dash arrives. I would try a different Jaguar dealership and see if you have better luck.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Mine is starting to come up near the defrost vent. I know Jag won't cover it. I am still under extended warranty but the extended warranties are a joke. I know it won't cover the dash. I'll probably pull the dash out and fix it on my own.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My car is an '11 and I had that issue. My dealership covered it, no questions asked. They say that the new dashes won't have that issue as Jag switched their adhesives, but I'm skeptical that I won't be back in for the same issue in a few years...

Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I have an 09 and had the same issue. Went to the dealership and of course since I was into the extended "jag select" warranty they said it wouldn't be covered. I left it alone but everyday as I got into my car I was irritated with the dash and that the car cost too much to be having this issue. I decided when I hit about 97k miles to give it another shot as I was coming up on expiration of the extended warranty. I called Jag corporate and went a few rounds with them expressing my complete disappointment with what was going on each time (but in a frustrated yet respectful way). They finally told me I needed to make an appointment with the dealership to have them do a "diagnoses". Called the service dept to have them ask exactly what it was they were to diagnose...lol, and responded that's what I would like to know. Anyway they scheduled they appointment, I took it in, they looked at it and agreed it was due to heat, no matter of negligence on my part. Had to call corporate and let them know I had taken it in, they called the dealership to confirm and then I was given an offer from the dealership (good faith policy) to either split the cost of having a new dash installed to include a one year warranty or they'd paid the entire cost but no warranty on the work. Needless to say I told them to keep their one year warranty. They took care of it and my baby looks brand new again, and this was just about a month and a half ago, so don't give up you all that have had no luck. Took me a second try to get it done but when calling in to corporate let them know that you've seen on the jag forum and in many places on the net where this is a common problem and basically a design defect that has been noted and so much so that Jag has corrected the way the replacement dash is made. They now staple the leather down to the board in more places in addition to using more leather material to wrap the board with. There's a YouTube video where this is shown. Good luck to you all.

The following 4 users liked this post by RodTee XF:
blrx7r1 (01-13-2014), Caribbeangirl7 (02-13-2017), liza (02-09-2014), loco4myjag (03-21-2016)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the post. I'll give it a try when I pull the car out of storage in the next few months.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lex2dre
Hello, I have the same issue with my XF with bubbling dashboard. I called JaguarUSA and got the lame excuse that it has something to do with the heat from the sun. They claim they do NOT have a bulletin(notification and/or complaints from other customers) so therefore, they are NOT willing to fix the dash. It's so frustrating because these cars are expensive and they are not old enough(XFs 1st year of prod was 2009) to have this issue. Call 1800 452 4827 and complain again. They made note of my complaint in which I have a case # for, but they are still not willing to pay for repair. I will take them to court as well. Best wishes!
I have read several threads as to where other Jaguar owners are saying the bubbling dashboard issue is caused by the sun(hot climate). The sun may be the underlining factor for the dash to bubble, but it DOES NOT take a rocket scientist to know if something is NOT sealed properly whether that is by glue, staples, nails, cement etc, you will not get a strong hold no matter how hot the climate is. If the dashboards were glued with a strong adhesive, the sun does not have the force to extract the leather from the dashboard. Stop blaming the sun when commenting which gives Jaguar Co the excuse to blame the issue on heat/sun.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My 09 started coming loose, I pulled the dash cover and took it to a local trim shop. They pulled it back as far as they could, re-glued it and it looks like new again, cost me 40 bucks and about 3 hours of my time. Super easy job to do if you consider yourself handy..

The following users liked this post:
Tom Kokinis (05-06-2020)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Any instructions? Not sure it's very easy??

Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wardo5757
My 09 started coming loose, I pulled the dash cover and took it to a local trim shop. They pulled it back as far as they could, re-glued it and it looks like new again, cost me 40 bucks and about 3 hours of my time. Super easy job to do if you consider yourself handy..
A quick description of what you did would be helpful to other owners. If you get time post something up. Did you pull the material off by hand and bring it in to have it reglued? How bad was it to begin with? If people only have a few ripples they may not be able to get it off by hand. Why not glue it back on yourself if you went through the trouble to pull it off. You can buy something like 3M spray on adhesive from almost anywhere.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
A quick description of what you did would be helpful to other owners. If you get time post something up. Did you pull the material off by hand and bring it in to have it reglued? How bad was it to begin with? If people only have a few ripples they may not be able to get it off by hand. Why not glue it back on yourself if you went through the trouble to pull it off. You can buy something like 3M spray on adhesive from almost anywhere.
I took a few pictures of the process, I will upload them when I get home. You shouldn't simply 3m the leather back to the plastic, for that you need a contact glue made for leather from what I learned, therefore I wasn't very comfortable doing it myself when it was so cheap to have a pro do it for me. He pulled the leather up as far as it would pull up, then attempted to stretch it out as he re-glued it down.
It was very simple to do though; I went to the topx website, paid for a week subscription then got my hands dirty. Took all of an hour to get the dash out and another hour to get it in.

Blackcoog (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 PM

Here are some pictures https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...=folder%2c.jpg I took along the way of the repair. Unfortunately they don't appear to help much as far telling how this dash comes apart. If you were to get a subscription at this site TOPIx - TOPIx , (it's very inexpensive for a weeks access) it will give you all this information you will need to remove the dash.
There are some screws on the top of the dash that are hard to get to, you will need to get creative with your tool selection to remove and reinstall these 5 screws, other that that it's very easy and straight forward with the manuals from the Topix website.
I hope this helps some of you get the nads to do the repair!!

Last edited by wardo5757; 01-16-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Blackcoog (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure if you pulled the dash to fix the issue. I'll definitely go that route. I'd like to learn how to take it all apart anyway.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure if you pulled the dash to fix the issue. I'll definitely go that route. I'd like to learn how to take it all apart anyway.
No problem! You won't regret doing it yourself...

Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 PM

I took my jaguar in today and the dealership said they will fix my dash under their warranty not mine. So those of you with a peeling dash, you should give it a shot at the dealership before trying anything else.

SlimGoody (10-22-2015)
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just left my jag at the dealer this morning having that replaced as well. Though under my CPO coverage

Last edited by JagVonder; 02-07-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, here's the deal...

(1) If your XF has a bubbling or delaminating dash it'll be fixed under the New Vehicle Warranty (4yr/50K miles).

(2) However, it will not be fixed under the Jaguar Select Certified Pre-owned warranty (6yrs/100K miles) if you have a certified car or plan on buying that warranty -- because it specifically does not cover "trim" in the fine print. This frankly is f-king ridiculous.

(3) Of course, there is no recall bulletin and so they wouldn't fix it regardless of age if the car is out of warranty.

(4) Good news is that if you don't restrict yourself to getting ripped off at a dealership. An upholstery shop -- the places that re-upholster seats and headliners -- can peel the leather off and glue it back on in about an hour. And they generally know what they are doing. Here in the SF Bay Area the labor rate is $60~80 an hour. So it's at worst a hundred dollar repair which is a lot less than replacing the whole upper dash at the Jaguar Dealer. In fact the local dealership has offered that option to customers with this complaint and are out of new vehicle warranty. Although the customer still has to pay for the work, they'll pitch in with a free rental while the work is done as a compromise.

Last edited by dwight looi; 02-06-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dwight looi
OK, here's the deal...

(1) If your XF has a bubbling or delaminating dash it'll be fixed under the New Vehicle Warranty (4yr/50K miles).

(2) However, it will not be fixed under the Jaguar Select Certified Pre-owned warranty (6yrs/100K miles) if you have a certified car or plan on buying that warranty -- because it specifically does not cover "trim" in the fine print. This frankly is f-king ridiculous.

(3) Of course, there is no recall bulletin and so they wouldn't fix it regardless of age if the car is out of warranty.

(4) Good news is that if you don't restrict yourself to getting ripped off at a dealership. An upholstery shop -- the places that re-upholster seats and headliners -- can peel the leather off and glue it back on in about an hour. And they generally know what they are doing. Here in the SF Bay Area the labor rate is $60~80 an hour. So it's at worst a hundred dollar repair which is a lot less than replacing the whole upper dash at the Jaguar Dealer. In fact the local dealership has offered that option to customers with this complaint and are out of new vehicle warranty. Although the customer still has to pay for the work, they'll pitch in with a free rental while the work is done as a compromise.
again every dealership is different. My car has no factory or CPO warranty. I have an aftermarket warranty, but the Jaguar dealership here said they would cover it themselves. That's why I would suggest everyone see what their dealership will offer. I'm sure there are more dealerships will go above and beyond to keep loyal customers than the ones only looking to take your money.

Last edited by neogod; 02-06-2014 at 08:38 PM.
SlimGoody (10-22-2015)

Quick Reply: bubbling dashboard on my XF