XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cat Back Exhaust Modification like Mina - Impacts to CPO Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat Back Exhaust Modification like Mina - Impacts to CPO Coverage

Planning to install a Mina cat back exhaust system on my 2012 Portfolio, which is still under CPO warranty. My concern is towards dealer denying CPO coverage citing aftermarket modifications.

I understand that some of these depends on the dealer attitude ( but I am not familiar with service folks at the dealership yet). Ideally they should deny coverage on problems directly related to the modification, or for problems mods actually cause

Having said that, my concern is that can the dealer "extend" it to deny coverage? Ex Aftermarket exhaust with different back pressure than OEM caused abc to happen which lead xyz to fail etc etc

Any CPO coverage dealer experience specific to this will be greatly appreciated

Old 01-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would talk to the dealer ...

However, I don't anyone thank can say less back pressure caused xyz to happen.

It mufflers , not straight exhaust .

Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

My dealer fitted my mina for me on my 2010 XF SC while still under extended warranty. No questions asked and no issues. Just a comment that it sounded great!
Talk to your dealer. I think they would struggle to deny on an exhaust

Old 01-06-2017, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Talk to your dealer first.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Talk to your Service Manager - mine said Mina exhaust would kill my warranty so I waited until after it was over (CPO).

Old 01-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
Talk to your Service Manager - mine said Mina exhaust would kill my warranty so I waited until after it was over (CPO).
How??? It's a muffler.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act should cover you on an aftermarket exhaust. If your car did need repairs, the onus is on the dealer to say the damage was a direct result of you modification, so if your wheel bearing needs replaced, they can't say no because of your exhaust.

More info here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

And exhaust specific info from Magnaflow: https://www.magnaflow.com/support/fa...tory-warranty/

The following 2 users liked this post by Maddshadez:
carzaddict (01-08-2017), MarkN (01-12-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:04 PM

Thank you all.

Talked to one of the service guys. While he didn't say its perfectly fine; he said something to the effect that CPO warranty should be valid and will cover things other than the aftermarket exhaust Any issues caused by the aftermarket exhaust will not be covered.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You have the right to put whatever you want on your car. As long as it doesn't cause any issues with your car, then the dealer can't refuse to work on your car solely because you have mods.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Maddshadez
The Magnuson-Moss warranty act should cover you on an aftermarket exhaust. If your car did need repairs, the onus is on the dealer to say the damage was a direct result of you modification, so if your wheel bearing needs replaced, they can't say no because of your exhaust.

And exhaust specific info from Magnaflow: https://www.magnaflow.com/support/fa...tory-warranty/
Thanks Maddshadez...Its very useful info

Thanks everyone.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddshadez

2nd this - and I have called a couple of dealers out on this in the past. In both instances they acquiesced. However, tough to say whether Jag NA would tools and try and slug it out or not.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sdelliott58
2nd this - and I have called a couple of dealers out on this in the past. In both instances they acquiesced. However, tough to say whether Jag NA would tools and try and slug it out or not.
They almost certainly would not. While dealers often have only a hit and miss version of a legal department, manufacturers almost always have a real one. Since the Magnusson-Moss Act here in the USA the legal requirements for warranty protection are extremely strong and they have been well tested and upheld in court. Warranty coverage can only be denied when there is smoking gun lock solid proof of user abuse (i.e. there is no other possible explanation for the problem), and even then numerous courts have sided with the user.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Johncy2000
You have the right to put whatever you want on your car. As long as it doesn't cause any issues with your car, then the dealer can't refuse to work on your car solely because you have mods.
Can't work on, and offer to cover the repairs under warranty are 2 different things. Not sure if you meant that...