XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

"Check Tire Pressure" warning, but no TPS installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Check Tire Pressure" warning, but no TPS installed

My winter wheels do not have the TPS sensors installed. I was getting a TPS warning error which I could remove by clicking the small triangle and pressing "Clear Warning" I was resigned to the fact that I would continue to do this until the summer wheels were installed.

On Wednesday, I had the air filters replaced and while I was there, I thought I'd ask them to check the tire pressures. Pressures were all fine.

When I left the garage, I received a new warning "Check Tire Pressures" showing a top view of the car and a yellow rectangle which moved around from tire to tire. Now, in order to cancel the warning, I have to go through the "Clear warning" process 4 times.

I had the garage check and they couldn't find an error that they could clear. I am confused.. How can the vehicle tell me the tire pressures need to be checked when there is no TPS installed? Is there any way to get rid of this warning?

Thanks again for your help! and Enjoy the Weekend!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The sensors aren't present, so the system can't get a good reading and hence tells you there's a problem. That's all I think it is. This happens on all my cars when I swap to snow tires without TPMS on them.

The following users liked this post:
Fairlane500 (01-14-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

+1 ... I was just made aware of a way to disable the system and am thinking of setting some time aside to get that done. These things are the worst nuisance ever. They set off the warning so many times, often for no reason at all that I just ignore the dam warnings. defeats the purpose of having the system. PITA !!!

Fairlane500 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Yep, I had my TPMS disabled many months ago, I never had a problem with it but I had read so many horror stories about it I got it disabled while I was having some other tweaks done to the CCF to get rid of a few other potentially problematic nanny systems - disabled the pedestrian protection system (air bags), disabled the brake pad wear warning system, removed the speed limiter, and partially corrected the speedo over-read.

Fairlane500 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:25 AM

Regarding the rotating wheels warning, I had the Jag out for a quick roadtrip on Sunday and halfway through, the "TPS Warning" showed up. Next day when I started it, I only had the TPS warning, the rotating wheels warning was gone. I can live with clearing one warning until spring, but I would be very happy to learn how to disable it. So far, 3 places have told me it cannot be done. One of those places was the Dealership. I suspect that the Dealership isn't "allowed" to disable it.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Dealerships will not disable the system. Take it to a independent with the correct level diagnostics and have them switch off the system. Happy days, no more ridiculous warnings. Of course, it does mean you'll have to check the tyre pressures yourself, just like we used to in the old days.

Fairlane500 (01-20-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

TPMS is now mandatory on new vehicles in many parts of the world and we've only got ourselves to blame. For every one driver that monitors tires pressures properly, there's probably 100 that don't- and we all pay the price.

Having said that, I see no drawbacks to the system assuming it works properly. It caught a sudden loss of pressure on my SUV the other day where I had picked up a nail and pressure dropped from 36 to 20 within minutes. I was on a flat, straight piece of road and had not yet noticed any difference in handling or steering.

Similar to accurate coolant temp indication or charging system info, the other hurdle is drivers who can't interpret the displayed info appropriately.

Last edited by Mikey; 01-16-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Fairlane500 (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Dealerships will not disable the system. Take it to a independent with the correct level diagnostics and have them switch off the system. Happy days, no more ridiculous warnings. Of course, it does mean you'll have to check the tyre pressures yourself, just like we used to in the old days.
Is there any way to determine the "correct level of diagnostics"? I have taken it to both independents in the area that specialize in Jags, and neither can do it. One even said they had the latest diagnostic tool. I'm assuming that without the proper diagnostic tool, there is no other way to disable the system?

j./

Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I cannot comment on the aftermarket diagnostic systems, like the Autologic, since I have not used them.

But what I can tell you about the SDD Diagnostic System, when it comes to TPMS, is that the TPMS field in the CCF (Car Configuration File) is locked out and dealers cannot disable the TPMS without getting special coded access via a password from JLR Tech Support.

There are ways around this "lock" but typically a dealer won't want to be involved because of JLR policies.

To answer your specific question, yes without the proper diagnostic tool, there is no other way to disable the TPMS, but as I explained just before there is a little more to it than that.

There is no official instruction on how to do it, we figured it out for ourselves.

Fairlane500 (01-20-2017)