XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Code reader and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts
Default Code reader and TPMS

Hi - seem to have developed an intermittent TPMS fault - system comes on for a couple of days saying TPMS system fault (not pointing to a specific wheel, just a general system fault). After a day or two it goes off again and TPMS works.

So, two questions. Does the TPMS system leave any error codes in the Jag memory that I can pull to see what the source of the fault is? Just fitted new wheels and worried that one of the TPMS transmitters may be defective - but no way to know which one!

Secondly, recommendations for a good code reader that can pull all relevant codes from Jag and LR (even better if it can do some settings too, but not looking for anything crazy expensive - just occasional use for diagnostics)

Thanks

Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Most tire shops will be able to grab general info from your TPMS system.
I'm not sure if that system reports anything to the car's ECU, but I had a very similar issue myself. My fix was to inflate the tires over 40psi (although the label on the car said 35). Not a single issue since then.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot
My fix was to inflate the tires over 40psi (although the label on the car said 35). Not a single issue since then.
Not sure that's the best way to fix it. Could cause you other issues, not to mention that it must ride terribly at that pressure. Bet you're getting great mileage though!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Not sure that's the best way to fix it. Could cause you other issues, not to mention that it must ride terribly at that pressure. Bet you're getting great mileage though!
When I was in high school I worked at a tire shop, so I've had a bit of exposure to this scenario. Really the biggest detriments are a stiffer ride (my car has 20s, so that's already gone) like you said, and uneven wear on the inside of your tires.
For now, I'll keep going as I am and pay attention to the wear patterns to see what happens over time. I bought the car with these non-stock wheel and rim sizes and figure it's worth experimenting with anyway. I'd kinda like to replace the all seasons with winter/summer tires anyway, so wearing them out a bit early isn't the worst thing to me.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi - seem to have developed an intermittent TPMS fault - system comes on for a couple of days saying TPMS system fault (not pointing to a specific wheel, just a general system fault). After a day or two it goes off again and TPMS works.

So, two questions. Does the TPMS system leave any error codes in the Jag memory that I can pull to see what the source of the fault is? Just fitted new wheels and worried that one of the TPMS transmitters may be defective - but no way to know which one!

Secondly, recommendations for a good code reader that can pull all relevant codes from Jag and LR (even better if it can do some settings too, but not looking for anything crazy expensive - just occasional use for diagnostics)

Thanks
Did you allow time for the TPMS to "learn" the TPMS codes when you swapped wheels? There's a wait time and a drive time at normal city speeds to allow the TPMS to locate each TPMS separately each time you change sensors or possibly even the wheel positions on the car.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Much has been written on this topic. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be bad two batteries on the newly-installed sensors when I replaced my tires. The Jaguar dealer was able to determine this when they used their diagnostic tool. I would suggest you go to a tire shop and have them check it out before you waste a lot of time thinking about the possible causes. I had the sensors replaced on the two offending wheels and so far (three weeks later) no fault warnings.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Thanks all. Yes - the system learned the new TPMS quickly and was all working fine for a while. As you say it's a strange learning process (car moving, car stationary etc.) but it seems to work it out.

That was my thought - that it's bad batteries / fault on a sensor. I'll take it back to the shop and see what they can do. Unfortunately I bought the sensors separately with the new wheels so I may be out of pocket on this one...

Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The TPMS valve stems have a very low and very specific in lb installation torque. This affects the seal. I don't know if over torquing the valve stem on install can also damage the TPMS itself.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Much has been written on this topic. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be bad two batteries on the newly-installed sensors when I replaced my tires. The Jaguar dealer was able to determine this when they used their diagnostic tool. I would suggest you go to a tire shop and have them check it out before you waste a lot of time thinking about the possible causes. I had the sensors replaced on the two offending wheels and so far (three weeks later) no fault warnings.

Well, I spoke too soon. After around 5 weeks, I got the same TPMS fault warning that I've been getting for over a year, and as before, I cleared it and after 20+ miles of driving, the fault went away. I took it to the dealer again, and they ran some checks and found nothing wrong. I spoke with the shop foreman and he said that Jaguar issued a bulletin on this that said that occasionally the TPMS misses a reading and that triggers the fault warning. They apparently have no solution to this. He noted that I have non-Jaguar sensors (now only two are non-Jaguar) and he said that COULD have something to do with why I started getting the fault warnings after I changed the sensors. Given the cost of the Jaguar sensors, plus installation and re-balancing, I'm not in a hurry to do anything more at this point.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

When I had my tune re-done via SDD I had the TPMS disabled.
I've never had a TPMS issue or problem, but I had it turned off for three reasons:
1. I check my tyre pressures once a week anyway, and if I have a puncture I'll feel it, so I don't need a Nanny system looking after this.
2. I've read too many stories about TPMS faults.
3. I may want to temporarily swap out my after-market rims and tyres for the stock rims and tyres which I still have for some drag strip action (the original tyres are close to shot and I swapped over the TPMS valves so the stock rims don't have them any more), and this way I won't have any annoying warning messages.
The point is, you don't really need TPMS and any dealer or indy mechanic with the Jag SDD can turn it off. But I suspect not many dealers would be willing to do so.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:22 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
When I had my tune re-done via SDD I had the TPMS disabled.
I've never had a TPMS issue or problem, but I had it turned off for three reasons:
1. I check my tyre pressures once a week anyway, and if I have a puncture I'll feel it, so I don't need a Nanny system looking after this.
2. I've read too many stories about TPMS faults.
3. I may want to temporarily swap out my after-market rims and tyres for the stock rims and tyres which I still have for some drag strip action (the original tyres are close to shot and I swapped over the TPMS valves so the stock rims don't have them any more), and this way I won't have any annoying warning messages.
The point is, you don't really need TPMS and any dealer or indy mechanic with the Jag SDD can turn it off. But I suspect not many dealers would be willing to do so.
The disable TMPS via SDD doesn't simple "one click" procedure, common dealer can't make it.