XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Death of a jag... I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death of a jag... I think

I have a jag and she died, maybe, perhaps... I don't know

2009 xf 2.7 diesel luxury model

A few times, the DPF light came on sp motorway to clear out and all is well.

But I have not had the time to clear it out as of late. So it's started to judder, getting worse and worse... but on the balance with a failing business my head is all over. Today I did try to clear it out though as the juddering had gotten stupid.

So here's a little story about how my life got twist, turned upside down.....

-sounds ruff
-tried to clear it on motorway, so much smoke out the back, I could not see out the rear view.
-then she lost power and eventually died, but started right up though limping.
-sounded like a mustang on idle and judder.
-random warning messaged coming and going.
-amber warning, dpf full check handbook
-amber warning, dcs not avaliable
-amber warning, restricted performance
-red warning restricted performance
-red warning, engine oil pressure low (though level is good)
-red warning, parking brake not available (though it's engaged)
-red warning, gearbox unavailable (turn engine off and back on and was fine)
-amber warning, smart key battery low (though works perfect)

When trying to start and would not turn over, heating system came on by its self on full blast but would not go off, no screen.

Then car died, seems no power at all, flat battery.... pretty quick.

I apologise for the lengthy post, I'm desperate for your assistance though.

Thank you kindly for your time.

James

Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

If it's juddering, giving you red engine warning lights and smoking out the back, I would not start it again! You could be destroying the engine (if you haven't done that already). Have it towed to a mechanic for a thorough investigation. Maybe some electrical gremlins (or perhaps a dead battery causing errors etc) but clearly a major engine issue underneath that too which needs to be investigated. Sounds like you need an in person diagnostics, not an online one.
As you are presumably out of warranty I'd suggest you take it to a good indy shop that knows Jags - or go have the diagnostics done at the dealer then take it somewhere else for the work.

The following users liked this post:
tompullizzi (01-24-2023)
Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
If it's juddering, giving you red engine warning lights and smoking out the back, I would not start it again! You could be destroying the engine (if you haven't done that already). Have it towed to a mechanic for a thorough investigation. Maybe some electrical gremlins (or perhaps a dead battery causing errors etc) but clearly a major engine issue underneath that too which needs to be investigated. Sounds like you need an in person diagnostics, not an online one.
As you are presumably out of warranty I'd suggest you take it to a good indy shop that knows Jags - or go have the diagnostics done at the dealer then take it somewhere else for the work.

The last time I had smoke out the back of a car like that, my car had dumped all of its oil on the freeway and the engine had vapor locked. I tried starting it again and ended up seizing the engine. Don't do that. It's dumb.

tompullizzi (01-24-2023)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

All the symptoms you described lead me to think it is a bad battery, including the "Then car died, seems no power at all, flat battery.... pretty quick." Did you check the simple stuff?

Old 09-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by timfountain
All the symptoms you described lead me to think it is a bad battery, including the "Then car died, seems no power at all, flat battery.... pretty quick." Did you check the simple stuff?
Sorry for my lack of response. Had my head in my hand's 😕 the battery was flat. Charged it for 24 hours and still nothing. Could hear the starter click, battery reading 11.5v today, went down fast. Took starter out so I could look at it when I'm trying to start. The gear just kicks out but not spin at all. So hooked the starter direct to my terrano and I can get the starter to either spin at full speed... but not send the pin out at all, or send the pin out and not spin at all.

Earth to casing always,and positive to motor supply, she spins (no pin firing out) showing motor should be ok

Positive to starter S point, and pin fires out, but no spin (showing cil should be OK.

Bridge Positive feed to S feed and I assume pin fires out and spins.. but it only fires out and no spin

Bad starter accompanied by a bad battery in the jag? Battery is original.

Also can't turn the engine with a socket and breaker bar on the front main pullie... but I know on terrano engines ect it takes a lot to do it. So assumed this being 6 cylinder and the way it's configured it may be impossible to turn, I'm not world's strongest man by any means

Old 09-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Death of a jag... I think

Agree that battery may be bad. That could explain a lot of the warning lights. But not the spoke pouring out of the engine. You need a full mechanical diagnostic. Something serious is wrong.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

If smoke poured and engine died, you have a strong risk of a vapor lock, if not a siezed engine. If that happened and you tried to start the engine, it could easily have busted your starter. Repeated attempts could have stressed your battery to breaking too.
First things first-I'd check your oil. If there's water in it or it smells sweet like antifreeze, you've blown a head gasket. It not being there doesn't necessarily mean you haven't blown it, but it's one thing to look at.
Regardless, this is probably beyond the capabilities of an average shade tree mechanic. I'd have it towed to a shop for a proper look. I hate to say it, but the odds that you had smoke (or possibly steam) pouring out the back and it was nothing are remarkably small. You're probably looking at some fairly major repairs.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:29 AM

Thank you all for your time. I appriciate the help given. Will book it in

tompullizzi (01-24-2023)