XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fuel Filler Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Filler Door

Ok, did a search on fuel filler door issues, the last thread I could find was date 2009. Has the problem gone away after Jag issued a 'fix' back in '09? Had my '09 door assembly supposedly replaced on my '09 XF 2 weeks ago because it was sticking. Now, it will open properly every so often and other times not. Following a tread from '09, someone mentioned they oiled the latch mechanism which I assume resolved it, so I did too. Didn't completely resolve it but it opens more frequently now properly.

I did notice when it opens correctly I hear what seems to be a little motor returning the latch to it's open position?

Anyway any suggestions beyond bring it back to my Jag dealer again?

Thanks,

Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Try pressing in the center of the door, not the edge.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM

Hi Jerry,

I've tried all over the door including directly over the latch and in the center. When the door decides to work, it opens and we heard a motor or latch whine. When it won't open correctly and I need to hit it with the heal of my hand to open, no motor or latch whine.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I Have an 05STR and just had my fuel door harness replaced about a month and a half ago. I treat it very gingerly meaning I close it very slowly with even pressure. I'll see how long it lasts this time. Didn't do the research to see if there is a motor sound when the door opens though.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry S
Try pressing in the center of the door, not the edge.
That really made a difference for us also. But if you go not quite in the center but right over the latch it works best. If yours is still giving you problems after the replacement I would try it again. Our original one locked me out more than once no matter what you did you could not get in it. Once they replaced it and we started pushing right over the latch it is a one push smooth as butter thing.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The latch is mechanical, the locking mechanism is electric. Perhaps your electric lock is not completely unlocking intermittently.

The original fix was for the mechanical release which is a push/push latch: push to open and push to close. The fix was to fit a stronger spring on the hinge to pop the filler door open more decisively. Before the fix the latch was re-engaging after the push and before the hinge spring could pop the door.

Your problem sounds different.

It seems to help if you make the push quite definite rather than hard or abrupt. The key is to release the filler door quickly by removing your hand abruptly. The press or push need not be abrupt.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by KRBos54
Hi Jerry,

I've tried all over the door including directly over the latch and in the center. When the door decides to work, it opens and we heard a motor or latch whine. When it won't open correctly and I need to hit it with the heal of my hand to open, no motor or latch whine.
I'll make one last observation based on you hearing no latch lock whine after hammering the door to open it. I assume that you don't have the security system set to rearm automatically after you exit the vehicle with the key fob. If it is set to auto-rearm, you only have about 40 seconds to open the fuel door before the fuel door unlock function is disabled unless another key fob happens to be inside the vehicle. If all key fobs are outside the vehicle, you will have to open and shut a vehicle door to activate another time-out period. Oddly, the security auto-rearm option only disables the unlock funtion for the fuel door and does not lock the vehicle doors even thought the alarms are rearmed.

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2011, 05:19 AM

You are correct I do not have the security system set for auto arm. But you bring up an interesting point, maybe I'll try opening the filler door with the fob in hand just to see what happens. It's funny it works perfectly sometimes and others not so much. They tell me they (Jag dealer) replaced the mechanism the day before I purchased the car because it was "operating funny". It actually delayed me picking the car up a day because they needed to order the part.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by KRBos54
You are correct I do not have the security system set for auto arm. But you bring up an interesting point, maybe I'll try opening the filler door with the fob in hand just to see what happens. It's funny it works perfectly sometimes and others not so much. They tell me they (Jag dealer) replaced the mechanism the day before I purchased the car because it was "operating funny". It actually delayed me picking the car up a day because they needed to order the part.

Thanks!
Also try it the other way around. Leave the fob in the vehicle and see what happens

Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Hi all,

Mystery solved, thank you to all who helped and replied.

As a new owner of a slightly used XF which I bought from my local Lincoln dealer (traded-in my Lincoln MKS) for the XF, the owners manual was not in the car nor could the dealer locate me one.

With everyone's input I learned that the fuel door locks when the car is locked then verified that was the root cause of my problem this evening. I've also tracked down a web site where I was able to download the 300 page owners manual. Can you say 'operator error?'

Anyways, all's well that ends well, love this forum!!

Thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (02-27-2014)
Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good to hear a happy end on your door lock dilemma
Happy safe driving

Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what a waste

I know this is an old thread, but I'm not a happy camper with Jaguar. Just came home from Jaguar service because my fuel door was stuck too and I was told that it would cost almost $800 (parts & labor) and that's including 15%. Ridiculous, I say.

I believe in the saying you pay for what you get...in this case, we paid and we need to pay more! I don't get it! Yes, I didn't extend my warranty, but when I think of car warranty it's leans to mechanical than cosmetic fixes. Jaguar makes beautiful cars, but I would never recommend it to anyone.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum mrshill,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your fuel door.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by mrshill
I know this is an old thread, but I'm not a happy camper with Jaguar. Just came home from Jaguar service because my fuel door was stuck too and I was told that it would cost almost $800 (parts & labor) and that's including 15%. Ridiculous, I say.

I believe in the saying you pay for what you get...in this case, we paid and we need to pay more! I don't get it! Yes, I didn't extend my warranty, but when I think of car warranty it's leans to mechanical than cosmetic fixes. Jaguar makes beautiful cars, but I would never recommend it to anyone.
Wait until you pay for the repair and find out the replacement part is as bad as the old one!

This is a known fault without a cure as far as I know. My head mechanic recommended against trying to replace it for this reason. The catch can be adjusted and lubricated but eventually it will stick again.

If you keep pressing gently but firmly about one third of the distance from the back edge of the filler door it will open eventually. Using more force doesn't help.

All 2009 cars had their fuel filler flap replaced under a TSB. Mine worked fine until it was replaced with the supposedly improved part. The new part is still not working every time (according to the next purchaser I sold the car to).

Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 AM

Mine is at the dealer now for the fuel filler door among other things. They are quoting ~$300 to fix. They have to do something. I hate stopping to get gas because it can take 10 minutes to even get the door open.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by blrx7r1
....... I hate stopping to get gas because it can take 10 minutes to even get the door open.
Absolutely. It's a Jaguar and that's just not dignified.

However, it's a frightening cost for the repair.

Graham

Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Absolutely. It's a Jaguar and that's just not dignified.

However, it's a frightening cost for the repair.

Graham
Not just undignified but people think I stole the car.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

It has steadfastly refused to open on a few occations. After trying for 20 seconds I haved pried the lid itself off opening out the top left edge with the credit xard. Then push the hinge well in and pull carefully while the lock makes its noises. Slide the lid back on. Undignified but works.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Does anyone have the actual TSB for this issue?

Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Jaguar dealership service advisor here. (No throwing things -- that's not nice.) I just walked an hysterical customer through addressing this over the phone. I looked for a TSB but cannot find one, so I wanted to share that. Also mention that if all else fails, we've had luck disconnecting the negative battery cable -- hard resetting the car. In this specific case, telling the customer the leave the key fob in the vehicle (after confirming he had the auto lock and rearm turned off) did the trick.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filler Door