XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaner

I understand that the 5.0L engine uses direcet FI. Can I use regular fuel injector cleaner on the car as any regular FI engine? I use LiquiMoly that is pretty expensive stuff but works wonders on my other cars.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Check first but I think Jaguar is now recommending BG 44K fuel additive.

Originally Posted by Rique
I understand that the 5.0L engine uses direcet FI. Can I use regular fuel injector cleaner on the car as any regular FI engine? I use LiquiMoly that is pretty expensive stuff but works wonders on my other cars.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

If nothing is wrong with the car, i wouldn't put any type of additives in there. Just use premium/super gasoline in the car and you will be fine.

The following users liked this post:
Norseman02 (03-11-2015)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Modern fuels contain enough cleaner to keep the engine clean. The one real issue with DI is the fuel does not pass over the intake valves at all so fuel injector cleaner is a huge waste of money. You are literally burning your cash outlay directly in the combustion chamber. There is no way any fuel additive can make a difference. This has been a significant problem with some early to market DI systems. I note that some manufacturers are reverting to partial port injection on DI equipped engines and I wonder if this is just to keep some detergent flowing over the intake valves. These can carbon up due to valve overlap effects.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

I was told to run a bottle of that BG 44K cleaner with every fill up. I know that's ridiculous but I may run some through every oil change or once a year. The car was already in for an injector clean that I narrowly escaped paying $300 for, and my car is under warranty. Apparently, it's a common issue on the Jags and running that BG cleaner is the best solution. I usually don't go for the magic bottle solution but everyone swears by this BG cleaner the more I research it. I picked some up off of Ebay for about $20. Not many stores seem to sell it.

For the DI motors you will probably want to run some through the intake to clean out the carbon deposits on the ports and valves. Most DI cars suffer from severe carbon build up on the valves where in the older motors fuel would keep it clean. I read through many posts on the Audi forum that noted the RS4 losing nearly 100hp after the carbon starts building up.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 03-21-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The cleaner will do squat to keep the valves clean as it does not touch them. The way to keep the valves as clean as possible is to keep the oil fresh and the EVAP and crankcase ventilation equipment as efficient as possible. The bad stuff that runs over the valves in a DI engine is coming from the crankcase, so keep it clean. That's about all you can do. Running something like 44K will stress the O2 sensors, they aren't made for those temps all the time.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I meant to say that, as already mentioned, some of the carbon comes from valve overlap when the intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time. Nothing you can do about it, but you can keep the crankcase systems clean and this will help. Dirty oil offgasses all kinds of stunky crud that can stick to valves

Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
The cleaner will do squat to keep the valves clean as it does not touch them. The way to keep the valves as clean as possible is to keep the oil fresh and the EVAP and crankcase ventilation equipment as efficient as possible. The bad stuff that runs over the valves in a DI engine is coming from the crankcase, so keep it clean. That's about all you can do. Running something like 44K will stress the O2 sensors, they aren't made for those temps all the time.
I know... I said they have a intake cleaner which you put in the intake not in the fuel tank. It would then go through the intake and to the valves.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM

This product seems to address our questions for DFI cleaning.
http://www.wynns.net/product_files/d...l)%2023079.pdf

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Modern fuels contain enough cleaner to keep the engine clean. The one real issue with DI is the fuel does not pass over the intake valves at all so fuel injector cleaner is a huge waste of money.
That says it all right there.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealership tried to convince me that I needed a 30K fuel injection cleaning ($360).

I take it from this thread:
1) Not necessary as one can buy BG44K for $20 off the internet and accomplish the same thing?
2) Not necessary at all?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

I'd be REAL careful running any cleaners through the Supercharger, if your Jag is so equipped.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by igolfchip
The dealership tried to convince me that I needed a 30K fuel injection cleaning ($360).

1) Not necessary as one can buy BG44K for $20 off the internet and accomplish the same thing?
2) Not necessary at all?
You can answer your own question.

If the dealer had not suggested this procedure, is there any difference in the way your engine runs now (as compared to 'new') that would make you think that something was wrong?

Old 03-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It can be used with Supercharge.

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
I'd be REAL careful running any cleaners through the Supercharger, if your Jag is so equipped.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q-Regarding injectors-does using Startron help with breakdown of ethanol and improve engine performance? Having read this thread I'm interested in if I'm burning money too. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Norseman02
Q-Regarding injectors-does using Startron help with breakdown of ethanol and improve engine performance?
No and no.

Ethanol is not Satan Incarnate as the snake oil sellers (like Startron) like to portray it. They're shilling their goods on the premise that 'bad things will happen' if you don't use it. I've been using E10 for 20+ years and never had ONE moment of trouble. This includes old carbureted cars and bikes as well as boats and garden implements.

The scamming is out of control.

The following users liked this post:
Norseman02 (03-11-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 08:08 AM

I can tell you from experience. Adding regular fuel injector to my 2011 worked wonders. Just get a bottle or two of fuel injector cleaner from STP, Liquimoly or other quality brand and give it a go. About 10 bucks, exactly what your ******* would do.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rique
I can tell you from experience. Adding regular fuel injector to my 2011 worked wonders. Just get a bottle or two of fuel injector cleaner from STP, Liquimoly or other quality brand and give it a go. About 10 bucks, exactly what your ******* would do.
Rique,

If I were in your shoes, I'd wonder why all my cars seem to need injector cleaner on a regular basis when most other folks never use them.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by igolfchip

2) Not necessary at all?
the dealerships "offers" these services because they are told to. They aren't really making money just changing your oil, and if there's nothing wrong with your car, it's almost a waste of time to do it. What they are expecting is that their customers are rich and ignorant (which most are), and will just say "yeah go ahead" so they can get as much money as possible. Which is why they increasingly overcomplicate the engineering of cars, so that they force you to go to the dealerships for everything.

As far as the BG44K goes, it's another fuel injector cleaner. You can't have it both ways, either they work or they don't. If none of the other brands work because they don't actually get to the injectors, then why would this one? If this one does work, why don't the others? My thoughts on this is, it doesn't matter if it's direct inject or not, the only important part of the injector on the outside is the end of the nozzle. The end of the nozzle has to be in the same space where the fuel comes out, because the fuel is coming out of it, so it would stand to reason that a fuel injector cleaner that works by breaking the carbon off the end of the nozzle by going through the fuel line and spraying out with the fuel will help clean and protect it.

Last edited by neogod; 03-10-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
It can be used with Supercharge.
Gus, my comment was in regards to it being mentioned that the only way to clean the intake valves on a direct injected car would be to pour it in through the intake.
I've used the BG cleaner in the tank and it works well..

Last edited by Bigg Will; 03-10-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner