XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Heated windshield replacement

Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Heated windshield replacement

I am attempting to make the decision to replace the windshield on my 2013 XF Supercharged 3.0. It originally came with a heated, rain sensor windscreen but I happen to have a non heated windshield that I could just drop in and save the money on buying a new one. I realize that the central console would have buttons that would now control nothing but I am wondering if the lack of operation from these buttons would cause a service code to be activated or if the car would just go about its business as if it never had a heated windscreen? I do also have a non heated center console that I could exchange that would match the non heated replacement but here again, I am not sure if the heated windshield option is programmed into the main computer and in a never ending attempt to look for the units operation, it would cause a perpetual code to light up. Any thoughts or experience with this issue out there?

As always, thanks for your time.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

You will have no issues at all. When my heated one cracked due to a rock on the highway I replaced it with the non-heated one. It made a huge difference for me. I hate the JLR heated windshields, I find them very distracting. Making the swap made a huge difference to me. You'll find some people wouldn't live without it and others wouldn't live with it so it may affect resale a little bit. Since yours is not damaged you could keep it and the next owner would just be out labor to swap it out. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

The following users liked this post:
kenbowen (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for that info BlackCat! Just to confirm...... when you put in the non heated windshield there were no codes that popped up or Service Required lights that came on?

I am also assuming that the original "heated windshield" control panel is still in place??

Thanks,

Old 01-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Ken, you should be able to test it first by removing the fuses for the left and right heated elements to see if any driver warnings are given. It is unlikely there would be any. Fault codes may be logged if the switch is activated and no current is drawn, but could be ignored if they were.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I changed nothing other than the windshield and there are no codes, warnings, etc. I can't comment whether there is a code stored if it is triggered but no current draw like xdave mentioned. It has been cold enough that the rear window defroster automatically comes on at startup (and whatever else comes on at the same time, not sure if the front windshield is included but I would think so) and there have been no notifications on the dash saying there is an issue.

Last edited by BlckCat; 01-14-2017 at 01:21 PM.