XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How many XF drivers use snow tires in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLegend;584334[B
][/B]This makes me question your age...I mean, WTF would you drive a beautiful and expensive car in the winter time? Have you ever heard of taking good care of something? Would you drive a Bently GT in the winter time? If the answer is yes, then I'll say you are probably about 18 years old. 1st of all, no car looks good in the winter time. All cars are dirty! No car stays clean. And why get all the salt on there? Why chance it that someone will slide into you?

Storing your car for the winter is called taking good care of your car. Keeping the salt off the paint and in mint condition. Just kind of common sense dude.
I already told you why....not very eclectic, re-read my post again.

Try answering a question with an answer and not with a question. Me starts to think you are 18 too like me, since comprehension is so difficult concept for you.
##ck yea, i would drive a Bently in a winter. I don't care if it's a Rolls Royce. It's a sheet metal with 4 wheels on it, made to be driven.

A member on here just sold in XF, because his dashboard bubbled from the heat. Another members dashboard had to be replaced because the leather shrank from the summer heat. You think the sun is good for the paint on your car? I can keep going..... You drive it in the rain don't you? You think that's any good for your car? You heard of rust....

Mine stays very clean in the winter. There is thing called washing. It's actually amazing the way it works. It's basically combination of using motion, cloth and water. As you rub it on surface, it removes anything dirt - crazy right.

Sh#t, why chance to drive at all? You might get into an accident....

I am going to make you more valuable by educating you. Most accidents happen in the summer time. The lowest number is in the winter time.
.........not bad for a 18 year old right.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used Blizzak tires on my 2010 XF and now plan to use them on the 2012. The 2012 did come with M & S Continentals, but I am making the change over in November.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

I was kind of hoping to leave the petty, childish arguing to the kiddie "Honda" type sites.

This is what I did:

A week ago, I bought/won a set of 4 used VOXX wheels off of EBay from Discounttiredirect. After I called to have lugs and rings added to the sale, they said that these wheels may not fit (they have a software program that tells them I guess). They sent them to me to check.

I got them two days later and sure enough, they were 1/4" too small on the inner drum to clear the calipers.

Called them and they sent me new UPS labels to return them, they also refunded my entire payment. Awesome customer service.

So, a day later, I called my salesman back and we discussed my options. They agreed to sell me a new set of Drag-33 gloss black (normally $135 each), with a full set of Yokohama Ice Guard IG20 (235/45/18 - normally $195 each), completely mounted and balanced with proper rings (free w/wheels) and lugs ($45) for a grand total of $1202.00 shipped to my door.

An unbelievable deal.

If you price each item out and total it up, parts comes to $1365.00, mount/balence is usually about $125 for a set, and shipping would be around $150 for everything. A grand total of over $1600.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

Ok, I made a mistake. Wrong size tires. Called Discount back and confirmed my mistake, they were still waiting on the tires so no harm done.

They swapped out the 235/45/18 Yoko's for the 245/45/18 Hankook I*cepts Evo w310 for even money. And they are a bit more money.

These guys rock. Very understanding and go the extra mile.

I recommend them 1000%.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought Yokohama W-drive 902 Bs 19 245 40 for this winter.. Brilliant.. Just drove up a road with 6" of rutted snow no problem .. Packed Ice no problem .. These tyres are Brilliant in cold rain and wet; and not once have I got stuck in snow or ice.. Of course the back steps out a little sometimes but DSC and Winter mode keep it under control. My initial doubt about the expense (refurb jag wheels and new tyres) has evaporated and I go looking for snow to drive on now.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PS XF 3.0 Diesel S with Adaptive Dynamics etc (20" wheels as standard)

Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
I drive anything in winter. High performance or not. Winter tires are essential to get the best out of a car in winter. A good road car that handles well on dry road should handle well on snow and ice. This is one reason I do not consider BMW to handle well.

Horsepower does not adversely affect winter performance. My Audi biturbo chipped S4 has plenty of grunt and is an absolute hoot in winter, on four snow tires.

And just BTW, where I live it gets cold enough for winter tires in October and doesn't warm up enough until May to warrant taking them off. Ditto the expected snow season, October to May. That's why it is important to realize that the XF is a satisfactory winter car, on snow tires.
You will drive anything in the winter? So would you cut grass in a suit? Would u play football in a $1500 watch? It's just some things are meant to be taken care of. Right now my car is stored in garage. Keeping it off the streets where there's salt and alleviating the chance of someone sliding into me because they can't drive in the now. Just cause U have winter tires doesn't mean the next Person does. And if you still don't get it then maybe you never will.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLegend
You will drive anything in the winter? So would you cut grass in a suit? Would u play football in a $1500 watch? It's just some things are meant to be taken care of. Right now my car is stored in garage. Keeping it off the streets where there's salt and alleviating the chance of someone sliding into me because they can't drive in the now. Just cause U have winter tires doesn't mean the next Person does. And if you still don't get it then maybe you never will.
You know, when winter can begin in September and not be over until June of course I drive anything in winter.

Btw, I don't wear my car, I drive it. I don't play football but I believe it is dumb to wear any watch, of any value, when playing contact sports. I recall that one is not allowed to wear a watch when playing basketball just for example (and yes, basketball is a contact sport).

I don't wear a raincoat when scuba diving, if that helps you understand my thinking on this.

The following users liked this post:
TheLegend (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

usually I run all seasons without any issues.......however when I had my XF, the all seasons were crap in the snow.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You know, when winter can begin in September and not be over until June of course I drive anything in winter.

Btw, I don't wear my car, I drive it. I don't play football but I believe it is dumb to wear any watch, of any value, when playing contact sports. I recall that one is not allowed to wear a watch when playing basketball just for example (and yes, basketball is a contact sport).

I don't wear a raincoat when scuba diving, if that helps you understand my thinking on this.
You will never get it, thanks for trying tho.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Haha TheLegend...I am with Jagular here...running my XF in the snow with all-seasons and it runs fine. What determines if a car should or should not be run in the winter? I have seen a Aston DB9 driving around my area (until October or so) when we had snow on the ground. The heater in the XF is by far the best I have come across and the heated windshield, steering wheel and seats definitely make this a winter car in my opinion.

Let's be honest the XF isn't a "sports car"...it has the same clearance as a Mercedes E550 and has a built-in winter mode...obviously for using in the winter. We are not talking about the F-Type.

Maybe us Canadians just drive better haha jk obviously.

Edit: Sorry just saw the post about the Bentley as well. There is a guy that parks in the same lot as I do at work who had a 2008 Bentley Continental GT. He recently traded it in for a Bentley Continental GT Convertible...thats his winter car...his summer car is a Ferrari Spider. Oh and I saw a Porsche 911 on Sunday and I see a GT-R around every now and then...

Last edited by AaronW; 01-29-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

I have already got it. You might also if you look in a mirror.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AaronW
Haha TheLegend...I am with Jagular here...running my XF in the snow with all-seasons and it runs fine. What determines if a car should or should not be run in the winter? I have seen a Aston DB9 driving around my area (until October or so) when we had snow on the ground. The heater in the XF is by far the best I have come across and the heated windshield, steering wheel and seats definitely make this a winter car in my opinion.

Let's be honest the XF isn't a "sports car"...it has the same clearance as a Mercedes E550 and has a built-in winter mode...obviously for using in the winter. We are not talking about the F-Type.

Maybe us Canadians just drive better haha jk obviously.

Edit: Sorry just saw the post about the Bentley as well. There is a guy that parks in the same lot as I do at work who had a 2008 Bentley Continental GT. He recently traded it in for a Bentley Continental GT Convertible...thats his winter car...his summer car is a Ferrari Spider. Oh and I saw a Porsche 911 on Sunday and I see a GT-R around every now and then...
Best winter beater I ever saw was a Maserati Quattroporte getting its snow tires on at my local independent Ferrari shop, his "summer" car was a Ferrari. I have seen a Maserati GT used as a winter car. Best vanity plate ever was "BEATER" on a Mercedes 500 SL also driven year round.....

Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Best winter beater I ever saw was a Maserati Quattroporte getting its snow tires on at my local independent Ferrari shop, his "summer" car was a Ferrari. I have seen a Maserati GT used as a winter car. Best vanity plate ever was "BEATER" on a Mercedes 500 SL also driven year round.....
It's funny hey Jagular...people who don't get "snow" (I inlclude vancouver in this) think that an inch on the ground means the city better shut down. If you aren't used to the snow driving an XF on it probably isn't the most fun. However when you get 6 feet or more a year and it last for 8 months it becomes second nature no matter what you are driving and no matter what tires you are driving on. The car IS drivable in any condition with A/S or Winter tires. For best performance use winter but either way they car wont leave you stranded and it is meant to be driven.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

NYC doesnt often get a lot of snow.......happens once in a while....but on normal occasions we'll get 2-3 inches.

however when we do get a lot of snow....the biggest bitch is the piles of snow along the sides of the parked cars....requiring you to drive over mountains to get in/out. The other bitch is getting stuck IN a parking spot and needing to wiggle your way out.

thats where my XF failed me all the time. it was embarrassing....never the less all the XJ's walked out

Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Got my snow tires for free.

I traded a Infiniti G35X on my first XF and it was four wheel drive. With all season OEM tires in any snow you could not feel the four wheel drive improve the traction and driving.

When I traded up to my SC last December I got a set of Pirelli Sotozero's. It was a deal by Jaguar and also included two seasons of free rotations. What's not to like? In winter mode the rear-drive car drives great. My rear drive Dodge Charger Squad Car also had winter mode and it also worked very well. However driving though heavy or deep snow, I'll jump into my mighty Sequoia SUV and engage 4X4. What's more fun than tooling around in a big truck through the snow?

In Milwaukee we get Alberta Clipper snow storms from Canada (dry snow)and Pan Handle Hooks from Texas/gulf (wet snow). Three days ago the high was 7 F, yesterday it was 59 F and now its snowing like craZY! This is normal in Milwaukee and I'm not boasting.

I'm going to Florida tomorrow and park everything. lol I still would recommend the snow tires. lol

Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM
Default Freezing

Here is the temp this morning...nuff said.

PS. Good ol global warming. -47 today and -1 on Monday. Gotta love it.

Attached Thumbnails How many XF drivers use snow tires in winter?-img_1589.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 20" Snow tire availability

Hey guys,

Anyone have luck with the stock 20" wheel setup for snow tires? My local tire guy can't find anything, and the best I can find locally at Mavis Tire is a matched set of Continental DWS tires.
My current Dunlops left me stranded last week in a light but icy snow on Long Island.

I'm willing to buy 19" wheels if they clear the calipers on the S/C, or even another set of 20" OEM wheels to make tire swaps easier as the season requires.

Anyone have a link to a reputable or known supplier that I can use? I don't mind buying and having shipped to NY, but I'm trying to stay local if possible. Much appreciated!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Those Continental's are very good but they are not winter tires, they are all seasons.

Better to fit 19 inch, non staggered setup on new rims if you can afford the outlay. Otherwise, Pirelli Sottozero or Nokian WR ( this Nokian is the only all season winter tire made) come in 20 inch.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AaronW
Here is the temp this morning...nuff said.

PS. Good ol global warming. -47 today and -1 on Monday. Gotta love it.
This means our Chinooks are reaching a long way to the East.

Minus 25 two days ago and plus 7 expected for the weekend.

Bring on those Pineapple Express storms from Hawaii, I say.

Quick Reply: How many XF drivers use snow tires in winter?