XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How many XF drivers use snow tires in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
You are just wrong. I drive my XF year round in all conditions. It is just fine. The winter setting is just to make it easier to drive in very slippery conditions. It doesn't matter how powerful the car is if you use winter mode. What you can't do is drive in winter on summer tires. Even all season tires are insufficient. All wheel drive does not improve winter driving. Winter tires improve winter driving. Period.

Good job you park your XF though.
Winter tires are always a plus in the winter but to say AWD doesn't improve winter driving is just simply not true. Again, u don't have a supercharge XF so you really just don't know.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by AaronW
HAHA Agreed! Some people choose to drive in the winter and some do not. Saying the car is undrivable is not correct and saying the winter mode does nothing is not correct. The car does not need to be stored. It is stored out of preference because (what I hear on this forum) is that people are scared others will hit them when it becomes slick (and maybe making it up a driveway).

The car is NOT an AWD vehicle so no it does not act the same but the tires do make a large difference. Storing your vehicle because you are concerned others will hit it is pretty rediculous too. Yes other drivers may not care as much about their vehicle that you or I do but how many times have you been hit in the winter time? Common people it does not happen that often. Unlucky people it will occur once in a lifetime?

It comes down to it I would not lable the Jaguar as a "winter car" but I would put a ton of vehicles in the same class. There is nothing about this car that makes it different than another RWD vehicle other than it being more expensive?

PS -5 degrees celcius here today and there was a Nissan GT-R sitting outside my building and a Bentley Continental GT Convertible. Saw an XJ the other day too.
To say havin an accident in the winter isn't often is just a pretty dumb comment.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLegend
To say havin an accident in the winter isn't often is just a pretty dumb comment.
There u go again, demonstrating your incompetence as a driver.

I have had one accident in winter conditions, caught on a mountain road in mid October without snow tires. I've been driving in severe winter conditions for over 40 years and learned to drive in winter. My advice is to stay home if you can't drive the XF in winter.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

a common mistake i hear people say.....is associating AWD and winter tires in the sense that both are equally good in snowy conditions...........this is both true and false.

for example, I know a lot of Audi S5 guys or BMW X-Drive guys that are wearing summer tires, but think they're fine because they have AWD

AWD will help you go forward, snow tires will help you come to a stop

Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM

There u go again, demonstrating your incompetence as a driver.

I have had one accident in winter conditions, caught on a mountain road in mid October without snow tires. I've been driving in severe winter conditions for over 40 years and learned to drive in winter. My advice is to stay home if you can't drive the XF in winter.
I've never had an accident in the winter, though I have temporarily lost control several times. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that bad winter conditions significantly raises ur chances of an accident. I'm not sure what is it about that fact that u don't get.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never had an accident in the winter, though I have temporarily lost control several times. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that bad winter conditions significantly raises ur chances of an accident. I'm not sure what is it about that fact that u don't get.

Definitely raises your chances but you have just contradicted yourself.

Won't drive the XF in the winter as a competent winter driver however is scared of others crashing into you yet have never had an accident in the winter. That's flawed logic to me.

And to say getting in an accident in the winter is not often is not "just a pretty dumb comment" as you have demonstrated not getting in an accident in how many years? 15 years as I recall you saying. Seems like I would call that "not often".

AWD is better FWD which is better than RWD. Winter tires are better than all-seasons which are better than summers. No matter what car you are driving you run the risk of getting in an accident. This occurs in the summer as well.

The problem with a lot of people and AWD or winter tires is that they believe they are safe now so do not drive with caution. Because you have this advantage people will then go out and drive like it’s a summer day.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by AaronW

Definitely raises your chances but you have just contradicted yourself.

Won't drive the XF in the winter as a competent winter driver however is scared of others crashing into you yet have never had an accident in the winter. That's flawed logic to me.

And to say getting in an accident in the winter is not often is not "just a pretty dumb comment" as you have demonstrated not getting in an accident in how many years? 15 years as I recall you saying. Seems like I would call that "not often".

AWD is better FWD which is better than RWD. Winter tires are better than all-seasons which are better than summers. No matter what car you are driving you run the risk of getting in an accident. This occurs in the summer as well.

The problem with a lot of people and AWD or winter tires is that they believe they are safe now so do not drive with caution. Because you have this advantage people will then go out and drive like it’s a summer day.

There's no contradiction, ur just inept to comprehending. Just because I haven't had an accident doesn't mean it can't happen. When the weather is bad, I slow down, drive more careful and using the proper equipment. Now if I don't do those things, I'm sure I will have an accident. That doesn't change the fact that ur chances are high for an accident in bad winter conditions. The chances are still very much there, I'm just extra careful. Now, re-read what I just wrote before we continue....... Now re-read again........

take a minute.....

let it marinate a little........

and finally, re-read again.......

Ready?

Now lets continue.....far as AWD I only said it helps. I didn't say it was better than having winter tires or anything. I'm only saying AWD helps. Please comprehend that.

Lastly, I don't care what winter weather equipment you have, anybody can still slide and have an accident. In fact, It's those dumb asses that think they can drive 75mph In the snow just because they have winter tires is the reason I keep my vehicle In the garage.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

You say "I have temporarily lost control several times" and you're calling us dumbass?

Every time you lose control you are an accident waiting to happen. I can count the number of times I've lost control of a car, under any and all road conditions, on the fingers of one hand. That's in over 40 years.

There is no reason why I cannot drive at over 75 mph in winter. That's why they make high speed snow tires. I have driven over 100 mph in winter on snow tires.

There's clearly a reason why you should not do so, even on winter tires. I don't think I'd drive a Taurus that fast in summertime!

Awd is useless and actually dangerous in winter if you try to drive on summer tires.

The safest drivetrain layout for winter driving is fwd, on snow tires, because it is so predictable. The most difficult to drive safely in winter, even with snow tires, is awd because it becomes unpredictable at the limits of adhesion.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM

You say "I have temporarily lost control several times" and you're calling us dumbass?

Every time you lose control you are an accident waiting to happen. I can count the number of times I've lost control of a car, under any and all road conditions, on the fingers of one hand. That's in over 40 years.

There is no reason why I cannot drive at over 75 mph in winter. That's why they make high speed snow tires. I have driven over 100 mph in winter on snow tires.

There's clearly a reason why you should not do so, even on winter tires. I don't think I'd drive a Taurus that fast in summertime!

Awd is useless and actually dangerous in winter if you try to drive on summer tires.

The safest drivetrain layout for winter driving is fwd, on snow tires, because it is so predictable. The most difficult to drive safely in winter, even with snow tires, is awd because it becomes unpredictable at the limits of adhesion.
So you've never slid or lost traction for a second or two in 40 years?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ahh man just give it a rest. You don't drive your car some do. To say it's not drivable is ludicrous.

Some choose to store it and some choose to drive it year round.

Those who choose to drive it all year have no issues and you have your own reasons for not wanting to.

You should not comment on the use of snow tires in the winter when you don't even drive the car in the winter.

You have your opinion which you base off of someone telling you it's not a winter car and not being able yourself to drive it in the winter. Having said that there are a few of us who do drive it and one would think that would make us more experienced in the matter.

The following users liked this post:
jagular (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Always in control.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
I am trying to decide if I need to buy a set of snow tires for Midwest winters. My car has brand new OEM 19" rubber (ContiProContact) and I would like some real world experiences with our cars using the stock tire setup in the snow and ice.

I realize that if things get deep, and having a low slung ride can cause its own set of issues that even snow tires wouldn't help much, my main goal is to see if the OEM setup is ok for a inch or two, morning ice, normal plowed road coverage, etc.

Any experiences welcomed.
I live at 3800 feet with a 1:8 slope driveway (855 feet long) so I put Michelin X-Ice tires on my 14 XF and they worked beautifully, even on several inches of snow; the all-seasons were barely capable on light snow. Unfortunately Snowpocalypse has arrived, and even my wife's 4x4 needs chains to climb our glacier-in-training, so I am waiting for the ice to melt. I fear that's March.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
a common mistake i hear people say.....is associating AWD and winter tires in the sense that both are equally good in snowy conditions...........this is both true and false.

for example, I know a lot of Audi S5 guys or BMW X-Drive guys that are wearing summer tires, but think they're fine because they have AWD

AWD will help you go forward, snow tires will help you come to a stop
Agreed. I bought a 05 X-type because on the test drive up my snowy driveway with all-seasons, it worked very well. Now it has studded snow tires, and I only use it in winter to protect the 14 XF from the idiots who drive 4x4s at 75 on ice.

Last edited by claytoncramer; 01-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nope I have high end all seasons, but winter is mostly under the padded car cover. And a start and run for 15 min every week.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I swear by the Nokian Hakkapilita studless snow tires. About $450/ea and even come in our staggered sizes.
The Conti DWS have been good all season for light snow, but they don't hold a candle to the Hakka's.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Default snow/ice tires: yes

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
I am trying to decide if I need to buy a set of snow tires for Midwest winters. My car has brand new OEM 19" rubber (ContiProContact) and I would like some real world experiences with our cars using the stock tire setup in the snow and ice.

I realize that if things get deep, and having a low slung ride can cause its own set of issues that even snow tires wouldn't help much, my main goal is to see if the OEM setup is ok for a inch or two, morning ice, normal plowed road coverage, etc.

Any experiences welcomed.
Not just YES but Hell, YES

I replaced my 2000 Corvette with a 2014 XF AWD. I have a gravel road leading to my asphalt driveway. It is 800 feet long, with a 1:8 slope. (Any questions why the Corvette had to go?) Right now it is a glacier-in-training; a couple inches of ice with a few inches of snow and more arriving every week.

I first bought studded snow tires for my 2005 X-type, and they would climb my aspirational glacier almost as well as all-seasons on bare pavement. The experience was so wonderful we outfitted the TrailBlazer with them as well. For the XF, Michelin X-ICE tires, which work about as well as the studded snow tires.

Right now, in the middle of the worst winter on record, the TrailBlazer needs chains to climb the toboggan track. We could probably drive the X-type and XF up the driveway (down is never a problem), but getting stuck in this howling wilderness is expensive, so we're waiting for the glaciers to melt.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanman
I swear by the Nokian Hakkapilita studless snow tires. About $450/ea and even come in our staggered sizes.
The Conti DWS have been good all season for light snow, but they don't hold a candle to the Hakka's.
Thanks for the segway to advertise the sale of mine from my XF that I sold. Posted in classifieds. Yes they are excellent snow tires.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Nokian sells their "previous generation" Hakkas under the brand name 'Nordman 4'. They're fairly affordable, and work very well in snowy conditions. There are 4 of them, on our XF.....

Old 02-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I love how this thread came back to life after 4 years!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I love how this thread came back to life after 4 years!

Well, you know how it is.....we keep getting snow every winter, and new members (like myself) keep signing up to this website...

Quick Reply: How many XF drivers use snow tires in winter?