Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How often on oil changes?

On the 2009 XF Premium Luxury?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The Owner Handbook should tell you the interval, but on my car, an X350 petrol V6 saloon, it is every 10,000 miles or yearly, whichever comes up first. I don't think the XF is wildly different to this. Funnily enough, cars with the diesel engine are allowed up to 15,000 miles.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The Owner Handbook should tell you the interval, but on my car, an X350 petrol V6 saloon, it is every 10,000 miles or yearly, whichever comes up first. I don't think the XF is wildly different to this. Funnily enough, cars with the diesel engine are allowed up to 15,000 miles.
Those figures are only for full synthetic oil.

Arlingtonman, I believe you bought your car from chantilly J/LR? I bought mine there to and my service interval is every 5k miles or one year.

Last edited by bryce804; 06-23-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do not hesitation on oil changes. Good consistent oil changes does wonders for your engine. It helps it perform at high efficiency levels. This will help the engine stay cool, and clean. And clean engine runs smoother and helps the gas mileage. I would change my oil every 4/5 months.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheLegend
Do not hesitation on oil changes. Good consistent oil changes does wonders for your engine. It helps it perform at high efficiency levels. This will help the engine stay cool, and clean. And clean engine runs smoother and helps the gas mileage. I would change my oil every 4/5 months.
Anyone do oil changes yourself? Just curious because of all the covers under the hood what a nuisance.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bryce804
Those figures are only for full synthetic oil.

Arlingtonman, I believe you bought your car from chantilly J/LR? I bought mine there to and my service interval is every 5k miles or one year.
No, Chantilly never had EVERYTHING I wanted in one car. I wanted the seats from this one, the vision package from that one, the leaper off this one...and they didn't like me very much

I got mine at Bobby Rahal J/LR/Volvo. Best move I made.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Oil change is 10,000 miles for conventional oil. No need to use synthetic to go that far. Once per year maximum time interval. Jaguar does not use synthetic but I recommend that you do.

Do not change your oil more often than specified by Jaguar. . It is environmentally unsound, a waste of money and does absolutely nothing for your engine. Anyone who thinks differently is living in the past.

Oil is better, engines are much cleaner and filters are better. In fact filter life is now the concern. Newer filters can go up to 20,000 miles and two years.

Diesels are cleaner than they've ever been. They also do not have high inertia loadings because they rev so low. The most load goes on the oil film at high rpm on the exhaust stroke. The other end of the rpm range is lower loading but the oil film is weaker due to lower journal speeds, lugging is bad for an engine because the journal speeds are low not because of vertical loading.

The following users liked this post:
richper (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 02:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by bryce804
Those figures are only for full synthetic oil.......
Do you have the Jaguar document ref which shows a different service interval for fully synthetic?

Graham

Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts
Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
Anyone do oil changes yourself? Just curious because of all the covers under the hood what a nuisance.

I change my own, its no big deal. On my SC the engine cover simply lifts off. There is a large tray under the engine that must be removed but it is just a matter of removing some bolts and nuts. Drain the oil and change the filter just like on any other car.

I must be living in the past as I change my oil at 5k miles or one year whichever comes first. Gives me peace of mind, I enjoy doing it and it doesn't cost much.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

One year is important because oil gets contaminated with condensation just sitting there.

You are wasting money and contributing to environmental damage if you change the oil more often than that unless you exceed 10,000 miles in a year, which many people do.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper

I must be living in the past as I change my oil at 5k miles or one year whichever comes first.
Not as much as people who change at 3K miles. There's no evidence that the factory intervals are too adventurous. I think almost all (most?) new cars today state 10K between oil changes.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Oil is better and engines run very clean now. No lead in the fuel and no excessive fuel enrichment means the main issue is contamination by water condensation.

Studies have been done that show there is no practical mileage limit if using fully synthetic oil. Only the heat/cool cycling which induces condensation and lack of filter capacity limits the change interval to one year. Mini specifies two years and my last Audi filter was a 2 year 30,000 km filter.

Last edited by jagular; 06-24-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Oil is better and engines run very clean now. No lead in the fuel and no excessive fuel enrichment means the main issue is contamination by water condensation.

Agree, synth oil is remarkable

Studies have been done that show there is no practical mileage limit if using fully synthetic oil. Only the heat/cool cycling which induces condensation and lack of filter capacity limits the change interval to one year. Mini specifies two years and my last Audi filter was a 2 year 30,000 km filter.
I just changed oil on my XF and the difference of the engine is noticable. My engine runs SO MUCH smoother. I will change oil in a year regardless of mileage. No matter how good oil is filters are the technical bottel kneck of the equation and once saturated will not filter properly.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to side with Jagular on this one. Americans have been sold a dummy (as us Euro "soccer" fans would say). I have long been puzzled why the same manufacturer will recommend a longer oil change cycle on the same car, depending on where it is sold. 5k is way too often for any car and as has been said, it is environmentally unsound. If you choose to buy a big V8 (and I do) then it is incumbent upon you to find other ways to save the whales etc. (and I do).

Good, modern oils don't break down with use, it is as simple as that. I agree also that filters are probably the bottleneck and the main reason to change oil. I am a bit worried for Rique's car that a change of oil had such a profound effect on how smooth the running felt! Yikes!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Overfilled sumps can be an issue with these engines, at least my dealer keeps doing it. That can make an engine run rough! Maybe Rique just filled to the correct level!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I did fill it by the book but I also read another thread on this forum of an XF that after oil swap ran much smoother. There was a sticker on my winshield that stated:
" Penzoil 10W30 next oil change 27000 miles" THis lead me to beleive I had the incorrect oil fitted in the engine.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arlingtonman

No! I'm not doing that myself. It has that big underbody protection panel and it's just not worth it. However, I don't go to the dealer either. I just found a good local shop that knows what they are doing and have them put in synthetic oil and change the filter.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change

Originally Posted by jagular
Oil change is 10,000 miles for conventional oil. No need to use synthetic to go that far. Once per year maximum time interval. Jaguar does not use synthetic but I recommend that you do.

Do not change your oil more often than specified by Jaguar. . It is environmentally unsound, a waste of money and does absolutely nothing for your engine. Anyone who thinks differently is living in the past.

Oil is better, engines are much cleaner and filters are better. In fact filter life is now the concern. Newer filters can go up to 20,000 miles and two years.

Diesels are cleaner than they've ever been. They also do not have high inertia loadings because they rev so low. The most load goes on the oil film at high rpm on the exhaust stroke. The other end of the rpm range is lower loading but the oil film is weaker due to lower journal speeds, lugging is bad for an engine because the journal speeds are low not because of vertical loading.
I believe my 2012 Jaguar come with 5W-20 Castrol long life synthetic. I don't think you can do 12,000 to 15,000 miles or 1 year on conventional oil.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Recommended oil change intervals were different on the 4.2 litre and 5.0 litre engines. I believe the recommended interval was 10K on the 4.2 litre and 15 K or 1 year on the 5.0 litre. The oil in the 5.0 litre has been the subject of some debate in this forum. It is not obvious whether it is a synthetic, a combination of synthetic and standard oil or standard oil from the part number and description.

My BMW uses synthetic pure and simple and requires a change every 1 year or when the service indicator shows a need for a change (this depends on how you drive the car and the conditions under which the car is operated) whichever comes first.

I tend to agree with Jagular on oil changes. Although there are a lot of differing opinions on whether more frequent oil changes help, the old reason, which was due to more rapid oil break down and the fact that engine tolerances tended to result in more metal in the oil, are no longer valid. The manufacturer has done a lot of research and unless the marketing guys came along and told them that they had to have longer intervals between changes, I will go with the manufacturer. I am sure that if these cars needed new engines after 100K miles due to servicing when the manufacturer recommended , there would be serious consequences in the market place. I try not to second guess the engine designers.

Quick Reply: How often on oil changes?