XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How often on oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Recommended oil change intervals were different on the 4.2 litre and 5.0 litre engines. I believe the recommended interval was 10K on the 4.2 litre and 15 K or 1 year on the 5.0 litre. The oil in the 5.0 litre has been the subject of some debate in this forum. It is not obvious whether it is a synthetic, a combination of synthetic and standard oil or standard oil from the part number and description.

My BMW uses synthetic pure and simple and requires a change every 1 year or when the service indicator shows a need for a change (this depends on how you drive the car and the conditions under which the car is operated) whichever comes first.

I tend to agree with Jagular on oil changes. Although there are a lot of differing opinions on whether more frequent oil changes help, the old reason, which was due to more rapid oil break down and the fact that engine tolerances tended to result in more metal in the oil, are no longer valid. The manufacturer has done a lot of research and unless the marketing guys came along and told them that they had to have longer intervals between changes, I will go with the manufacturer. I am sure that if these cars needed new engines after 100K miles due to servicing when the manufacturer recommended , there would be serious consequences in the market place. I try not to second guess the engine designers.

As I understand it the 5.0 comes from the factory with Castrol SLX 5W-20 and Castrol says that it's synthetic as to if it is group III or IV I have no idea. To be able to go 1 year or 15,000 miles it had better be good oil and conventional oil just isn't going to cut it.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Really can't go wrong going by the Jaguar book. Once a year or so for me. Changing it yourself is easy enough just a question of is it worth your time. I think you can expect to pay around $100 for your annual oil change unless you trust the boys at Jiffy Lube.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XF 5.0 l

So I ahve heard 15k miles from a dealer but others hear 10k miles on a oil change. Is the dealer exteneded life 5-20 rated for such a long interval?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The limit on service life for modern synthetic oil is the filter capacity. Once per year is still recommended due to moisture and fuel contamination issues. The oil has no known service life limit under currently known conditions. Change the oil and filter once per year regardless of mileage.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Pulled this from an ebay search from another website. This was posted by someone in 2009. I would obviously not take it as gospel, because it is less than second hand. Maybe someone here can validate?

"Jaguar and Castrol - two legendary English companies - have teamed up to develop a new 5W-20 synthetic motor oil which enables the AJ-V8 Gen III 5.0L engine to achieve high horsepower and torque without impacting fuel economy. Previously oil changes were required every 10,000 miles. Now that has been extended to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. The new oil, Castrol Professional FuelSaver SLX A1 5W-20, is exclusive to and must be used in the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines.

Benefits of this new oil include:

· Stable viscosity for sustainable performance
· Improved engine cleanliness and engine protection
· Better ability to compensate for various driving styles

There are several features your new Jaguar customers should know about:

· The new Castrol oil, SLX Professional 5W-20, is the only oil recommended for the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines
· A service reminder in the Message Center lets the driver know when it's time to change oil
· Service Interval is every 15,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. It's important that your customers visit your Jaguar dealership yearly for annual service
· The first scheduled maintenance service visit is Complimentary
· Maintenance Interval Message automatically appears when it's time for service
· Checking the oil level is simple using the built-in "digital dipstick" on the car's onboard computer. The new engine does not have a traditional dipstick

The Jaguar/Castrol co-engineered 5.0L engine 5W-20 synthetic motor oil is the only lubricant completely tested to be compatible with Jaguar’s new engine components and other fluids and sealants. No substitutions should be made as the warranty coverage requires the use of the proper Jaguar specified lubricant."

Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

For those who are less trusting and more research minded, below is a link to an oil testing company that will tell you more than you likely want to know about your oil. I have never used them. I think it is $25. If nothing else, their website has a pretty humorous read (see FAQ). Also, check out the June 2, 2012 newsletter if you think you oil hasn't been changed enough.

What is Oil Analysis

P.S. I am not affiliated with this company in anyway, and find them to be quite funny and informative.

Last edited by jaguny; 07-20-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

It will probably surprise you to discover the viscosity of engine oil used in F1 these days. Every bit of viscosity wastes power.

Best oil website

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Last edited by jagular; 07-21-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a good bit of evidence accumulating that frequent oil changing does not accomplish what most folks suppose: less engine wear. Actually, maybe the opposite. Ford-Conoco has done two studies, reported in SAE papers, that show the most engine wear occurs with new or fresh oil during the first 3000 mi of use. So the more often you change the oil, the more you are putting your engine through that cycle of sub-optimal lubrication during the first 3000 mi. The Effect of Oil Drain Interval on Valvetrain Friction and Wear.

As for the 5w-20 viscosity, someone mentioned Formula 1. I read a little while ago that Ferrari uses 5w20 for qualifying, and IIRC, 5w30 for the race (maybe it was 5w20 - - I can't remember). As is often said on the BITOG oil forum, "thin is in". Doug Hillary, a lubrication engineer who often posts on BITOG, reported a while ago that some BMW teams at the ADAC 24 hrs of the Nurburgring, were using 5w20 engine oil.

Oem oil change intervals are based on a lot of field testing in cooperation with their lubricants partners. OCI's of 15000 mi are not that unusual today. That, plus most cars today have OLM's (oil life monitors) in the crankcase. Some are very sophisticated (a Bosch OLM actually measures the oil viscosity by sending sound waves through the oil). They are not going to let you trash your oil.

The following 2 users liked this post by mpwr:
jagular (07-21-2012), plums (03-24-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil change intervals

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Recommended oil change intervals were different on the 4.2 litre and 5.0 litre engines. I believe the recommended interval was 10K on the 4.2 litre and 15 K or 1 year on the 5.0 litre. The oil in the 5.0 litre has been the subject of some debate in this forum. It is not obvious whether it is a synthetic, a combination of synthetic and standard oil or standard oil from the part number and description.

My BMW uses synthetic pure and simple and requires a change every 1 year or when the service indicator shows a need for a change (this depends on how you drive the car and the conditions under which the car is operated) whichever comes first.

I tend to agree with Jagular on oil changes. Although there are a lot of differing opinions on whether more frequent oil changes help, the old reason, which was due to more rapid oil break down and the fact that engine tolerances tended to result in more metal in the oil, are no longer valid. The manufacturer has done a lot of research and unless the marketing guys came along and told them that they had to have longer intervals between changes, I will go with the manufacturer. I am sure that if these cars needed new engines after 100K miles due to servicing when the manufacturer recommended , there would be serious consequences in the market place. I try not to second guess the engine designers.
I just got back from the dealer and had my oil changed at 12,500. The service manager said the interval is 15k or 12 months (whichever occurs first).
2012 XF NA

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I change mine once a year with Castrol Syntec. Never make the miles in a year.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
I change mine once a year with Castrol Syntec. Never make the miles in a year.
Good advice.

Where did you get the chrome side vents? Were they easy to install?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by RayICS
Good advice.

Where did you get the chrome side vents? Were they easy to install?
The chrome side vents are Jaguar OEM. I got them off of ebay at a good price. My dealer installed them as part of my purchase deal.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

... the results showed that the aged engine oils provide lower friction and much improved wear protection capability. These improvements were observed as early as the 3000 mile drain interval and continued to the 15000 mile drain interval.
hmmm .... like fine wine

Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All I know is that after 221K miles, my 2000 XJR (with Nikasil engine, mind) is still in fabulous mechanical condition and, thanks to 5K service intervals from new with full synthetic, still looks like it did internally when new--i.e. clean as a pin.

Oil is cheap enough, and I've seen enough positive results on enough cars, that I'll stick to 5K service intervals.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Just bear in mind that 2000 was 13 years ago. What worked then may not be appropriate now.

Your engine was designed to run on 5W 30 mineral oil, not synthetic.

New Jaguars run on 5W20 and synthetic oil is preferred, for some cars it is now essential.

The points being made are that new engines should not have their oil changed as frequently as was desirable in times past.

I changed my 1986 SAAB turbo from conventional oil changed at least twice per year every 7,500 km (approx 5,000 miles) to fully synthetic once per year or 16,000 km (10,000 miles). That engine ran flawlessly for over 300,000 km and 20 years. So, anecdotally, neither of us proved anything except I saved a lot of money on oil changes.

All my current cars get once per year or 16,000 km fully synthetic oil changes. Our 1991 Alfa Romeo runs flawlessly at 210,000 km and has followed this factory directed oil change schedule from new.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I change the oil & filter every 5,000 miles with full synthetic Castrol Edge 5W-30.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

You're wasting your money.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps I am wasting my money, but it's a pittance compared to the alternative.

And yes, although my engine was designed for conventional oil, I was lucky in that the first owner elected to go synthetic right out of the chute and stuck with it until I bought the car from him. I work for a Jaguar dealer in service, BTW, so I'm well briefed on the new cars' oil requirements. And, FWIW, if the car isn't going to be kept past warranty, go ahead and do the 15K services. Personally, I wouldn't if I were planning on keeping one well into and beyond the 100K point.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
You're wasting your money.
That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. I've been driving and working on cars for over 40 years and I know what works for me.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

It's actually fact, not opinion but I'm not trying to change your mind just convince others not to waste money and unnecessarily burden the environment. It is a fact that your engine wears more when it has to restart with no oil pressure than it would while running for many hours. Every oil change shortens engine life.

Quick Reply: How often on oil changes?