XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jag XF - Disable or bypass Tire Pressure Sensor warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jag XF - Disable or bypass Tire Pressure Sensor warning

Well, I took the plunge. I am now the proud owner of another Jag. A 2010 XF Premium in Lunar Grey with 37,000 miles. I'll post a pic when I get a good one.

The previous owner had just purchased a set of winter wheels and tires. He did not install the Tire Pressure Sensors and I have a continuous warning. I can disable the warning but it needs to be done every time I start the car, and the warning symbol remains lit. Is there any way of disabling or bypassing the warning? It's annoying as hell. I haven't priced the TPS sensors yet.

Thanks - You guys have been a lot of help in the past and I expect the relationship to continue

Cheers!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The warning would drive me nuts. Sensors are around $50-$60 each from Rock Auto. I'd buy a set and not futz around with trying to defeat the warning system.

The following users liked this post:
Fairlane500 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairlane500
Well, I took the plunge. I am now the proud owner of another Jag. A 2010 XF Premium in Lunar Grey with 37,000 miles. I'll post a pic when I get a good one.

The previous owner had just purchased a set of winter wheels and tires. He did not install the Tire Pressure Sensors and I have a continuous warning. I can disable the warning but it needs to be done every time I start the car, and the warning symbol remains lit. Is there any way of disabling or bypassing the warning? It's annoying as hell. I haven't priced the TPS sensors yet.

Thanks - You guys have been a lot of help in the past and I expect the relationship to continue

Cheers!
Strong recommendation that you buy OEM sensors. I put aftermarket ones in my winter wheels and they worked 80pc of the time and gave irritating warnings the other 20pc. My dealer says it's a common problem that the system is quite sensitive to non Jag sensors and they see that issue a lot. I recently swapped out for jag sensors and it has been perfect ever since. And my summer wheels with jag sensors likewise never given an issue. So I'm sure it was the aftermarket sensors

By the way, as mentioned above the official sensors run at $60+ each. But there is someone on eBay in the U.K. selling new jag official tpms for the Us market (the 315Hz ones) for $65 for a set of four! And will post to the us for about $10. I was skeptical but took the plunge and they work perfectly for me
Anyway - I have no connection with them and this isn't an endorsement - at your own risk... but it was so cheap it was worth it for me

Of course you still have to pay to have the tyres dismounted, remounted and balanced...

Good luck

Fairlane500 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

OEM for sure and no...absolutely no way to bypass the system.

Fairlane500 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member

well..you could tape a piece of paper over the whole dash...hope you wouldn't do that though

Fairlane500 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:45 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

You can disable the TPMS, I've done it on a couple of cars now (including a 2011 XFR).

The dealers diagnostic system SDD is needed, but ironically a dealer cannot do this for you, as they are "not allowed" to. It's locked out for them...

But it can be done...

And going the other way, I've retrofitted the original TPMS system to a few cars that did not have it fitted from the factory, same deal.

Fairlane500 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:05 AM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

If you do get the sensors, +1 on getting OEM because I blew hundreds trying to get non-oem to work with my local tire dealer. In the end, I bought used ones off ebay for around $100 for all 4. Could've saved a lot of headache by just getting OEM in the first place, and the full priced from the dealer would have been cheaper than everything I put into it.

Fairlane500 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot
If you do get the sensors, +1 on getting OEM because I blew hundreds trying to get non-oem to work with my local tire dealer. In the end, I bought used ones off ebay for around $100 for all 4. Could've saved a lot of headache by just getting OEM in the first place, and the full priced from the dealer would have been cheaper than everything I put into it.
How long do you expect your used ones to last? They couldn't have been close to end of life by the time you bought them, despite what the ebay seller said.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

So I thought disabling these things would set off all kinds of codes during inspection time. Isn't illegal to do that?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
So I thought disabling these things would set off all kinds of codes during inspection time. Isn't illegal to do that?
My XFR was one of the cars that Cambo helped disable the TPMS on.
No codes, no messages, no nothing other than the peace of mind knowing I would never have any TPMS hassles.
I have no idea about the legalities in your neck of the woods, but who is going to know and who is going to test it?

Old 12-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Strong recommendation that you buy OEM sensors. I put aftermarket ones in my winter wheels and they worked 80pc of the time and gave irritating warnings the other 20pc. My dealer says it's a common problem that the system is quite sensitive to non Jag sensors and they see that issue a lot. I recently swapped out for jag sensors and it has been perfect ever since. And my summer wheels with jag sensors likewise never given an issue. So I'm sure it was the aftermarket sensors

Good luck
I agree 100%.

When my wife and I bought a new XJ-L, in 2012, our 2009 XF then became the "year-round, daily driver", and I bought a second set of rims, and winter tires for it. I was retired from full-time work at the time, but working part-time for the local Advance Auto Parts store, as a delivery driver. It gave me something to do, as well as a little "pocket money".

Since I received an "employee discount" on any parts I needed, I bought the Dorman brand TPMS sensors, from the store I worked at. Long story short, they wouldn't work, the car wouldn't "recognize" them.

I spoke directly with a Dorman technician, and he readily admitted that they were having problems with the Jaguar application. He went so far as to send me a set of OE sensors, in exchange for my Dorman parts. That was 3 years ago, and everything has functioned 100% since then.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

well, what would it take for someone to disable my TPMS then..**** I would do it to save the $400

Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Get in touch with Bob Gauff here on the forum Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: motorcarman he's in Decatur which like 65 miles from Plano.

He can do it for you.

Cherry_560sel (01-11-2017)
Old 10-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!
Hi do i know, if my car has TPMS or not?
As I see in the manuals, it must have, but neither it shows up on ignition, nor it alert me of low pressure.
But how do i make it for sure, that it is not just disabled?
Thanks in advance!
G.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaffi
Hi guys!
Hi do i know, if my car has TPMS or not?
As I see in the manuals, it must have, but neither it shows up on ignition, nor it alert me of low pressure.
But how do i make it for sure, that it is not just disabled?
Thanks in advance!
G.
The only way to know if it is disabled is to check with SDD. I do know others have done manual wiring to make it look like it always senses it.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

You could also check if you have the tpms antenna to detect the signals - see post here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cation-187200/

But if there are no errors or issues then go with it. Much better to just check your own pressure regularly.