XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

What should I do

Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What should I do

I recently purchased a 2009 XF S/C with 36k miles.I was looking underneath the car today and I noticed a whole in the rubber bottom of the car. Previous owner must have run over something creating the break in the rubber. It has not affected the car in any way..

What would you do:

1. Don't concern yourself with it

2. Contact dealer and have them replace the entire bottom ofnthe car?

If number 2 is selected, should the dealer pay for it?

Please advise.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

I would hope the bottom of your car isn't made of rubber !

Are you talking about the plastic undertray covering the engine and transmission ? If so, a hole in this is not of too much importance unless what caused it also caused damage to the components that lie behind the cover.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am talking about the plastic under tray...when I take the car in for servicing, I will have them look at it...if there is damage to components, should the dealer pick up the costs?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

You certainly need the tray taking off and an examination done by the dealer, but if the car is going OK, all would seem to be well, although the inspection may show some cosmetic damage.

I would think under US law the selling dealer would have to pick up repair of any damage, but if it is just a scratch on a casting it is not worth bothering about. Cracks and bent tubes is another matter.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Laws regarding used car repairs, disclosures, and warranties vary from state-to-state. Generally used cars are sold "as-is" and the seller is under no obligation to repair every fault.

Many states have requirements about tires, brakes, windshields, seat belts and other safety related issues....as well as disclosure laws regarding frame damage, branded titles, and the like.

If there is no mechanical or safety issue involved here....and it doesn't sound like there is...I suspect the dealer is under no obligation to provide a free repair. However, some dealers might consider a goodwill repair at no charge to keep a customer happy.

Cheers
DD