XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

new to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default new to the forum

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am searching for assistance with front/rear strut removal for a 2014 XF, 3.0 with AWD. I have a 12,000 page FSM for my model, that somehow does not accurately depict my setup for struts&springs. I have a set of H&R springs I want to install, but none of the previous threads are accurate to a modern AWD version.
Does anyone have knowledge of changing struts or springs on a 2013 through 2015 AWD XF?
Thank you.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

ToPIX? Will help you for a price.

The following users liked this post:
VPinGA (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by VPinGA
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am searching for assistance with front/rear strut removal for a 2014 XF, 3.0 with AWD. I have a 12,000 page FSM for my model, that somehow does not accurately depict my setup for struts&springs. I have a set of H&R springs I want to install, but none of the previous threads are accurate to a modern AWD version.
Does anyone have knowledge of changing struts or springs on a 2013 through 2015 AWD XF?
Thank you.
Here is the guide for you:
front.pdf

rear.pdf

VPinGA (02-23-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:41 AM

Thank you for the guide. The AWD is a little different set up though, and where I am wanted to be sure, is the proper (or least invasive) method for lowering the lower control arm or other method for allowing enough clearance to get the strut out of the yoke it is mounted in.

strut/spring assy

frt suspension

frt suspension

Old 02-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by VPinGA
Thank you for the guide. The AWD is a little different set up though, and where I am wanted to be sure, is the proper (or least invasive) method for lowering the lower control arm or other method for allowing enough clearance to get the strut out of the yoke it is mounted in.

strut/spring assy

frt suspension

frt suspension
Yes, I know it, but I have send you the instruction from TOPIx struts replacement for AWD XF 3.0S/C 2014MY

VPinGA (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 AM

ok, I thought there was a step or two missing , but from what you sent removing the stabilizer bar and disconnecting the upper arm must give enough play for the strut to come out. I will have a go at it tonight and see how far I can get. thanks for the help.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:02 AM

OK, hopefully I can save someone thinking about installing H&R springs on a 2014 AWD XF...

Do Not Do It. Unless you are going for a slammed (wheels recessed into the fender) look. That was not what I was going for at all. I only wished to close the big gap on the AWD wheel wells, but I got a goofy huge drop. H&R stated a 1.4 front/1.3 rear drop, but mine was way too much, I didn't bother to measure since wheel was recessed I knew I hated the look and was too busy cursing. That coupled with a ridiculous camber told me I made a big mistake.

The good news is that I am am now adept and removing/installing the front and rear suspension, since I had to do it four times Off/On/Off/On.

The bad news is this is time consuming (even if you don't do it twice), and not a friendly DIY job. I don't recommend unless you have a weekend to blow. Getting the stabilizer bar off and on can be a challenge, and almost impossible to get a torque wrench in there to tighten correctly. Also, lowering the control arm just enough to get the strut assembly out without going too far and pulling out your short axle tests your nerves.

Just wanted to share in case anyone was thinking of this. I would say coil overs would be the proper way to go, but I think I will just learn to love the cat as is. At least until my hand, back, and pride have a chance to heal.

Last edited by VPinGA; 02-27-2017 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typo