XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

A Poll on XF defects is it worth it. If so How?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default A Poll on XF defects is it worth it. If so How?

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Well, really the Moderator Boys, and Girls.

I may be looking for a XF 5ltr NA / XFR 2010ish and while going through all the threads for the common faults, would not one "Poll register thread " of all the Jaguar XF forum owner/members who want to participate, with the faults that they have experienced during ownership and at what mileage, be a useful tool and display database, for future and present owners.

Common on other forums.

An example is attached. early days this AT box was the end of the world, not looking so bad now?

'01 and '02 xc70 owners only, when did your transmission die? - View Poll Results

In this XF forum, to consolidate all the faults, common or not. (Are they?)

It could show on a thread, spreadsheet/ table how many are experiencing what problems and issues. with thread comments as and when required.

I do not mean the one long endless thread like on the F type forum, "F type issues" as it just degenerates, and is not focused.

Also , Without the old soothsayer's, replying, "that's always a common problem with these XF's." engines, water pumps, dashes lifting, sunroofs rattling etc, etc.

Also, I do not mean the reliabilty study which is on going, sort of, by the name of which escapes me at present, but goes along the lines of, come on, I only need another 2500 of you to enter your problems??

but a real live poll from real owners, which each and every XF owner can comment on, model, engine ,year, mileage etc.

To give some sort of commonality of issues and experienced.

A case in point is the water pump on the 5.0 ltr, how frequently do they fail and at what Mileage/KM.

Given the last 4 cars I have viewed, or requested the service history for, pretty common.

Viewed
XF 2010 5ltr. NA 77Km water pump leaking, as expansion tank low, alarm showing in the dash, and water all over the front of the engine. dealer and ready to take for test run. no thanks.

Service history.
XFR 2010 water pump replaced under warrantee at 54Km,

Viewed.
2008 Sv8 77k ok expansion tank leaking. low level. worn disks on the back.
ready to go, no thanks. Well they did polish it.

Service history.
XFR 2010
The bubbles on the dash, dash lifting.
XFR 2010 dash replaced under warrantee 59km

Sorry, if I offend anyone. ............Let the fun begin.

Bydand: icon_couch:

Old 09-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

It's worth it because you will face issues from MB, BMW, Audi, Porsche, LAMBO, Ferrari, RR, BENTLEY GM, Ford, Toy, Niss.... ALL THE MAKES HAVE THEIR OWN ISSUES. I think what matters is how they take care of their issues and the customer.
When you get into the Ultra lux its more expensive but they are more just complicated and you pay for prestige.

The following users liked this post:
bydand (09-27-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

I think it would be helpful as the OP said to not have to answer the same questions over and over and over every time someone is interested in a used vehicle.

It needs to be carefully worded that this shouldn't be used as a "percentage of defects" but as a commonly reported failures poll. Kinda like the colored dot system Consumer Reports uses, but with a lot more specificity as to what the problems are and their cost to cure.

bydand (09-27-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

You also have to remember that people discuss the faults of their cars on these forums (as all forums). You will not necessarily experience the same problem. I have had only a couple of issues with my current Jag. I had my 04 XJ8 for 8 years and never had any problems with it except for a clock spring replacement under warranty.

bydand (09-27-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

There should be a column for "covered by warranty " or something simple to indicate such.

bydand (09-27-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
There should be a column for "covered by warranty " or something simple to indicate such.
If you do date and mileage you will be able to tell if it was warranty.

bydand (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Thanks for all the replies, and suggestions.

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
You also have to remember that people discuss the faults of their cars on these forums (as all forums). You will not necessarily experience the same problem. I have had only a couple of issues with my current Jag. I had my 04 XJ8 for 8 years and never had any problems with it except for a clock spring replacement under warranty.
Thank you, that is what I am trying to identify and confirm with the poll. Hopefully the results of the poll will show a correlation to the number of posts with that type issue, fault etc.

Originally Posted by jaguny
I would suggest a fault or failure is just that, whenever it occurs in or out of the warrantee period.

Since I am looking at car out of warrantee, I would be interested to know if common faults had or had not been tackled.

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
If you do date and mileage you will be able to tell if it was warranty.
Not that easy, with the poll format, we have. Participants, will have to add details in a post on the poll thread I have just posted. Since this is for a MY2010 I am looking at all will be out of Warranty by now.

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
It's worth it because you will face issues from MB, BMW, Audi, Porsche, LAMBO, Ferrari, RR, BENTLEY GM, Ford, Toy, Niss.... ALL THE MAKES HAVE THEIR OWN ISSUES. I think what matters is how they take care of their issues and the customer.
When you get into the Ultra lux its more expensive but they are more just complicated and you pay for prestige.
Very true, that is why I am correlating the 2010 XF 5L NA & XFR information and data now, to have these issues at hand. I would rather know what is likely to be happening, or going to happen, or had indeed happened, before I go onto a purchase. With the evidence I am see from the service records and on viewing the few cars, the common issues? would appear to be ..... well common.

But lets see how common.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...issues-150595/