XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Programming Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Garage Door Opener

I have tried everything to program my garage door opener. When i do it the way it says to in the manual it signals as if its learned the command but then the command doesnt work. When i use to "learn" feature on my garage door opener it doesnt seem to pick up. All of my other cars have programmed no problem (08 infiniti m35, hyundai sonata, dodge charger)

Has anyone had these issues?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Mine programmed in less than a minute and works perfectly.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

No issues programming mine. Worked the first time. Have someone else try it without any direction from you. Just have them read manual and try it.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe there is a "version" problem with Homelink and the year of your auto. The Homelink version is not compatible with some new vehicle versions. Call the Home Link number and tell them the problem. They had to send me an adapter for the 120 V receiver that un-scrambled the code so it could read the transmission from the vehicle. They sent it to me for no cost. Just a suggestion .

Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought I was having the same issue when I was programming mine way back when, and I remember having to vary a bit from what the manual was saying.

IIRC, the first part is where you're training the XF homelink button to your current garage door's remote. Once you get that complete, you have to hit the learn button on the garage door opener itself (the unit that actually raises/lowers the door), then hold down the XF homelink button you just programmed. I thnk it has something to do with the rolling codes most openers have nowadays.

Tried pulling this from memory, so keep us posted on how it works out. It does sound like you're going through the same thing I went through at the time I was doing mine.

The following users liked this post:
NuJagLuvr (09-12-2014)
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Most of these problems relate to your garage door opener and not the car. There are two distinct ways to program these: copying the existing remote or having the rolling code transmitter and your car synchronize.

One method will work but not the other. Most modern garage door openers are rolling code types which must be operated in their "learn" mode for the car to be assigned an initial code. It rolls over every time after that. I find you may need two people to program a rolling code transmitter system.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Yes, Jagular, the adapter came from the Garage door opener company and then could relate to the vehicle. It was not the fault of the Jaguar or Homelink per se, but the newer version of the new garage door opener that I installed. Sorry about the confusion here. (And yes, it was a rolling code system)

The following 2 users liked this post by chuckh007:
jagular (04-07-2013), JimC64 (11-10-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Good to know as I am taking delivery of my new XF SC V6 AWD in June and I have an older model of rolling code garage door opener. Should be fun to program.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I also had a problem with the programming. No matter what I did the yellow LED would never flash.
It turned out that the car has to be running and not in convenience mode as the manual states.
The second step is you need do is hold the 1st and 3rd buttons for 20 seconds or so until the yellow LED flashes rapidly.
Once this is done the yellow LD will begin to flash in different ways and not stay lit all the time.
I did not use another remote. I used the learn button on the garage door motor. I quickly went to my car and held the button I wanted to use. It did not link up the first time I tried and eventually went to a constant lit LED. The second time when I did it, it flashed again and was able to link up and work. I did not have to hit the learn button a second time, only the mirror's homelink button. I must have done it all in the 30 seconds the garage door motor gives you.
Yay!

JagJonz (01-19-2014)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Canadian cars need to use the alternate programming method. Learning from an existing remote won't work. Also, there's a different programming sequence for Canadian home link. I had a devil of a time programming my Subaru BRZ home link until I read ALL the instructions carefully and noted the Canadian specific instructions.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I originally had an older garage door opener and thought that wat the reason it want working with the homelink. (Just bought the car, so I figured it would be easier to get a new door opener vs new car)

Got a new one and it didn't work either. After. 2 hours with my brother I finally got it working.
First off you must have the car running.
I guess what I was doing wrong was skipping right to the rolling code step.
First you have to try with the remote, then proceed to the rolling code.

HomeLink

I think this is the video?
This video explains it well with step by step instructions.
(You can't seem to access it with an iPhone for some reason)
Try this one if the first one doesn't work.

This was totally frustrating me, so I hope it helps!

sherbercars (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

In my car, I found that I was "re-programming" the Homelink button. What worked was:

1) car off
2) open driver's door = convenience mode
3) press and hold Homelink button for 20+ sec
4) when the Homelink light flashes quickly, continue to hold the Homelink button and now hold down the button of the garage door remote (2-6 inches apart)
5) The flashing light frequency will change after a couple of seconds -- then release both buttons simultaneously and you're done.

Rich

Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rw99
In my car, I found that I was "re-programming" the Homelink button. What worked was:

1) car off
2) open driver's door = convenience mode
3) press and hold Homelink button for 20+ sec
4) when the Homelink light flashes quickly, continue to hold the Homelink button and now hold down the button of the garage door remote (2-6 inches apart)
5) The flashing light frequency will change after a couple of seconds -- then release both buttons simultaneously and you're done.

Rich
This doesn't work in Canada. It would be nice if it did.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am in Canada, and despite dozens of tries, going through the manual step-by-step... no deal. Have resorted to using the ugly remote that came with my garage door opener. I did get past the first step (syncing the Jaguar Homelink to my remote opener), but then couldn't get the garage door unit to recognize Homelink despite using the 'learn button' etc as instructed.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPack
I too am in Canada, and despite dozens of tries, going through the manual step-by-step... no deal. Have resorted to using the ugly remote that came with my garage door opener. I did get past the first step (syncing the Jaguar Homelink to my remote opener), but then couldn't get the garage door unit to recognize Homelink despite using the 'learn button' etc as instructed.
You once you get to the rolling code, you have to push the homelink button and the learn button a like two or 3 times? Back and forth.
I am going to try to find the instructions again.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

In Canada it is frustrating but it does work if you follow the Canada only instructions. I've done both my 09 and my 13. I also had the same issues with my '13 Subaru BRZ. Patience is rewarded.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

I had problems programming the homelink buttons of my 04 XJR to the brand-spanking new jackshaft Chamberlain door opener. My research showed that there is an incompatibility between the older homelink protocol used in older cars and some garage door openers built in 2011 or later.

The solution was simple. I installed a homelink repeater ( https://homelink.com/homelink-repeater-kit-detail) , programmed according to directions and had full garage door functionality from my XJR's homelink buttons.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Good news……but I guess your research didn't include reading the above messages since I called Homelink and told them my problem with my new Chamberlain opener and they sent me a repeater for free……however, what they did not tell me was that it worked better (consistently) if it is plugged into a different 120 outlet then the one the opener is plugged into!! Also I suspect that the higher the better.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Holeecow
I originally had an older garage door opener and thought that wat the reason it want working with the homelink. (Just bought the car, so I figured it would be easier to get a new door opener vs new car)

Got a new one and it didn't work either. After. 2 hours with my brother I finally got it working.
First off you must have the car running.
I guess what I was doing wrong was skipping right to the rolling code step.
First you have to try with the remote, then proceed to the rolling code.

HomeLink

I think this is the video?
This video explains it well with step by step instructions.
(You can't seem to access it with an iPhone for some reason)
Try this one if the first one doesn't work.

This was totally frustrating me, so I hope it helps!
Use the video, it is almost perfect. I had to press the button on the review mirror a couple of times after programming to get it to work. Recommendation: go through all steps in the video even if you know that you have a rolling code opener. Double thanks for posting the link to the video and lowering my blood pressure

SunFlower (09-21-2019)
Old 11-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Thumbs up Purple "Learn" button

If your garage door opener's "Learn" button is purple, Homelink suggests this procedure. Procedures listed in the Owner's Manual and on this forum did not work for me, so I called Homelink and their instruction worked perfectly. Here are the details.
For this process you will need to use your existing garage door opener remote AND THEN the “Learn” button on the opener itself. Make sure that you have access to that button before you start programming. You may need a ladder to reach that button. On some models the “Learn” button is hidden behind the cover, so open it prior to starting.
1. Your vehicle must be parked outside of your garage! I tried it inside 20 times and it didn’t work.
2. Press and hold outside Homelink buttons (1 and 3) on the rearview mirror for 20 seconds or until the light starts flashing rapidly. Then release both buttons.
3. Press and hold the button you want to program and the button on your existing garage door opener's remote until the light starts flashing rapidly. Then release both buttons.
4. Go to your garage door opener and press the “Learn” button. There is usually a light next to that button. That light will turn solid.
5. Go back to your vehicle immediately (you have only 30 seconds for the whole process) and press and hold the button you want to program 2 times for 3 seconds. The light starts flashing rapidly at 3 seconds mark.
It should work after that. I hope my instruction will help someone.

XJL (02-14-2015)

Quick Reply: Programming Garage Door Opener