XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Resetting Low Brake Pad Warning Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:18 AM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Resetting Low Brake Pad Warning Code

I changed the brake pads on my XF and the warning sensor for low brake pads is still on. How can I reset this? do I need to do this on my scanner or is there another way?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Did you rip the old sensor out and replace it with a new one?
As far as I know this is the only way to reset the warning.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Did you rip the old sensor out and replace it with a new one?
As far as I know this is the only way to reset the warning.
I agree ... old sensors need replacing.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

The sensors are nothing more than a "closed" circuit that when the pads get thin enough, the rotor bites into the plastic sensor head and cuts the circuit.

If you do not want to rip the brakes apart to replace the sensor, then just cut the wires up near the plug in the wheel well and short them out to each other. Do not cut into the body harness, just the old sensor wiring.

If you just cut the wires on the sensor cable and twist them together, you can easily replace the sensor the next time you are doing a brake job.

That will turn off the warning indicator on the dash.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

As others have said, you need a new sensor. When I replaced my front pads last year, the indicator had not yet turned on, so I thought I could reuse the old one, but it broke as I was removing it. Not having a new one on hand, I removed the sensor and ordered a new one, which arrived in a couple of days. At least in the case of the front one, you don't need to remove the brake pads. But, before you remove the old one, either take pictures of the routing of the wires or pay careful attention so you can route the wires on the new one the same way. The sensors are around $90 each (one front, one back) from the dealer but you can find them on Ebay, Amazon and other places for under $30. I bought the PEX-brand and have had no issues. Part no for 2010 XF Premium front sensor is C2P17004 (rr is a different #)-- just do a search on Google.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I put a new sensor in when I changed the front pads. The rear pads look fine visually looking at them without disassembling the caliper and pads from the hub assembly. I just ordered a set of pads for the rear. So I will be replacing them and the sensor next week. The rears may be the culprit why the warning light is still on. I will let you all know.