Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Current ) > XF and XFR ( X250 )
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2008 - Onwards

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Default So do you have fold down rear seats? Perhaps we all do…

So I had a friend ridding the rear passenger side seat today. When he pulled down the center arm rest, the driver side seat started to fold down. Seems the latch that locks the seat needs adjustment/replaced. My trim level doesn’t include the fold down seats. But I can’t imagine it would be very difficult to install the “plungers” in the trunk that I think release the seats given that the mechanical seat parts are there. There is material directly behind the seat that would also need to be removed. I personally don’t anticipate the rear seat fold down being something I would be interested in pursuing. But I thought I would share in case this isn’t common knowledge.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Split fold down rear seat is standard on all XF. The release cables are difficult to see and hard to reach, poor design as you have to push on the seat back and pull on the release cable simultaneously to release the seatback. When returning the seatback to upright locked position one needs to give a firm push to engage the lock.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular View Post
Split fold down rear seat is standard on all XF. The release cables are difficult to see and hard to reach, poor design as you have to push on the seat back and pull on the release cable simultaneously to release the seatback. When returning the seatback to upright locked position one needs to give a firm push to engage the lock.
Jagular – Thanks for that. I only checked MY12 for my info. So it would seem that this was changed with the MY12 as fold down rear seats are no longer standard except on the R trim.

The dealer took care of it today. Looked like they had failed to trips the switch at the factory to allow the latch to close. Once they figured that out … along with the fact that fold down rear seats are no longer standard (first 12 they had to address) all was good.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Canadian website confirms fold down rear seats are now an option.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

I'll never figure out why they didn't put a release for the seats inside the car. Its a two person procedure to fold mine down.. one to pull the cable and one to pull the seats down inside the car.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Anti theft feature. My Audi solves this by having locking releases inside the cabin. Most older designs had a substantial security weakness in that locking the trunk did not lock access from the cabin.

However, Jaguar's design is poor as you have to push on the seatback and pull on the release simultaneously to flip the setback down. I use my snowbrush to poke the seatback while I pull the release. Or you can park facing downhill and do it!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHealy View Post
Jagular – Thanks for that. I only checked MY12 for my info. So it would seem that this was changed with the MY12 as fold down rear seats are no longer standard except on the R trim.

The dealer took care of it today. Looked like they had failed to trips the switch at the factory to allow the latch to close. Once they figured that out … along with the fact that fold down rear seats are no longer standard (first 12 they had to address) all was good.
Here is where I got the confirmation for the operation of your rear seats when we had the car yesterday. You my find the rest of the information helpful.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012MY_XJ_US_Product_Brief_04-19-11Public.pdf (533.1 KB, 411 views)
File Type: pdf 2012MY_XF_US_Product_Brief_4_20_11Public.pdf (853.6 KB, 343 views)

'95 XJR
'97 XK8 Conv. [Sold, and missing it!]

Last edited by xjrguy; 01-19-2012 at 08:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xjrguy For This Useful Post:
jagular (01-19-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM

I pulled the yellow rear seat release handles in the trunk on my car and each rear seat unlatches and pops forward a bit automatically! Then all I had to do was open the door and lay the seat backs down. If yours do not, perhaps adjustments are required.
2009 XF SC

2007 Corvette Z06

2004 Harley Davidson V Rod
All 4 modded of course!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Is a similar document issued for the XF?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
Here is where I got the confirmation for the operation of your rear seats when we had the car yesterday. You my find the rest of the information helpful.

Cheers,

Cool Steve. I didn't know you were on here. Here's a snipet from the on-line brochure that had me prepaird not to complain about missing parts. First columne is base, next is Portfolio, third is Supercharged and fourth is R.

Click the image to open in full size.

But at least now I know who to ping in my efforts to enable the rear view camera. And those XJ Smart Keys look sweet!
Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Thumbnails
So do you have fold down rear seats?  Perhaps we all do…-xfbro.jpg   So do you have fold down rear seats?  Perhaps we all do…-xfkey.jpg  

Last edited by WHealy; 01-18-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Finally they fitted a ski bag and pass through.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular View Post
Is a similar document issued for the XF?

OOPS! My bad! I put the wrong one in the post. I've now added the one for the XF. A thousand pardons!

Cheers,

'95 XJR
'97 XK8 Conv. [Sold, and missing it!]
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post

Cheers,
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the info. Would it be difficult or costly for a dealer to retrofit the pull handles on an XF that wasn't spec'd with the split folding option? I bought a 2012 without realizing it was no longer standard, so a thread about it on another forum caught my attention- it sounds like some dealers in the UK were just retrofitting it free of charge to customers who asked. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM

I know that this is totally unrelated, but I tried sleeping on a long drive home in the XF recently and was very disappointed in all the further the passengers seat goes back. My camry (also power passengers seat) goes almost flat...I couldn't even get back half way (to a 45* angle!)...

Regarding the subject at hand, my 2009 XF Premium Luxury has two little yellow pulls up under the roof of the trunk that you pull for the seats to fold down. Not sure about the base Lux model though.

2009 Jaguar XF Premium ~ 38,000 miles
Ebony Exterior, Spice/Charcoal/Gloss Figured Ebony Interior

Mods Done: Leaper, Illuminated Door Sills, Chrome Side Vents, Limited Edition Plating
Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Tags
2012, back, down, fold, folding, jag, jaguar, locks, put, rear, release, seat, seats, xf, xfr