XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Supercharger Rattle?

Hey,
So i just got my '13 Jaguar XF and there seems to a rattle noise from what i believe is the SC. Is this rattle noise normal in these cars? It has the 3.0L Supercharged Engine in it.
The sound is in this Youtube Video i uploaded.

I really appreciate your input!

Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's the coupler ... common problem.

http://m.jlr.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10065162-6903.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Jasin Dhaliwal (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow993
It's the coupler ... common problem.

http://m.jlr.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10065162-6903.pdf
I did just pick up the car and Jag just had recently replaced the Isolator. The sound has gotten better but not gone completely. So unsure whats going on here.Do you think it just wasn't repaired correctly?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Also, that's the TSB for the 5.0 V8, see here for the TSB for the 3.0 V6: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1608731
Same problem but different parts.

Also, I'm taking my F-Type in tomorrow to get the quite loud engine noise fixed, and I was told when the tech diagnosed it a couple of weeks ago that it wasn't the SC torsion isolator rattle, instead it was the drive belt tensioner bracket rattling, or so he thinks. Exactly which drive belt (SC or other) and which tensioner/bracket I wasn't told, I'll find out Thursday afternoon one way or the other and report back!

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-06-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Also, that's the TSB for the 5.0 V8, see here for the TSB for the 3.0 V6: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1608731
Same problem but different parts.
Thanks for the reply. But like i said in the reply earlier, Jag just replaced the isolator kit and they said it's all good now, but I don't think that clunk when shutting down is. Any other suggestions for what it could be?

Thanks once again!

Old 02-07-2017, 02:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I've removed your duplicate of your post #1 from General Tech Help and the duplicate of post #5 from this thread.

Graham

Old 02-07-2017, 02:52 AM

You will hear a slight clunk when shutting down, but it shouldn't be that obvious.

Hard to explain... mine sounds like clu-clunk. ..... almost like the engine did another rotation and very noticeable. I listened to one with it replaced... more of a muffled , but there.

Last edited by Shadow993; 02-07-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Shadow993
You will hear a slight clunk when shitting down, but it shouldn't be that obvious.

Hard to explain... mine sounds like clu-clunk. ..... almost like the engine did another rotation and very noticeable. I listened to one with it replaced... more of a muffled , but there.
I for one hear a slight splash!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I for one hear a slight splash!
Bwahaha!!! You got me on that typo !

Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 PM

Jaguar dealer essentially said its fine, and this sound is 100% normal. Told them to compare it to another XF 3.0 SC standing there and that made no noise, and then they tried blaming that on the fact that XF was running cold, and would make a noise while shutting down after it warms up . After about half hour of arguing they ended up sending a sound clip to Jaguar (god knows why they couldn't just get it in and dig deeper themselves) and told me to sit tight to 48 hours till they get back to me.
Not the easiest bunch to deal with to say the least,.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Collected my F-Type from the dealer a few hours ago, and as I suspected the engine rattle has not been fixed.
They replaced the idler tensioner/bracket (on the main drive belt not the SC belt) they thought was the cause and no change, it still rattles.
So it's booked in again a week from today to this time replace the SC torsion isolator, which was my original diagnosis.
Mucho stuffing about, inconvenience and petrol cost, with no guaranteed fix yet.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 PM

The dealer in my city is being very uncooperative. Haven't called me back here with what the head office of Jaguar said in regards to the sound clip they sent them. Planning on calling corporate at this point and see what that say. Send this video to another dealer 3 hours away from my city, and they said there's something wrong with it for sure. May end up having to drop it there now. Absolutely unacceptable from Jaguar.

Last edited by Jasin Dhaliwal; 02-09-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jasin Dhaliwal
The dealer in my city is being very uncooperative. Haven't called me back here with what the head office of Jaguar said in regards to the sound clip they sent them. Planning on calling corporate at this point and see what that say. Send this video to another dealer 3 hours away from my city, and they said there's something wrong with it for sure. May end up having to drop it there now. Absolutely unacceptable from Jaguar.
Maybe a longer video would help, it is pretty short.
I had a bit better luck with my dealer, they accepted without any argument that the engine was rattle was too loud to be normal and needed to be fixed. Lucky they did, as the next closest dealer is 8 hours away!

Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Heres a bit longer video. Again normal operation seems to be fine after the isolator kit was replaced, but the clunk at the end, imo 100% is not normal.

Thoughts?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed, not much noise/rattle, fairly normal for a DI motor which are naturally a bit noisy (due to the high pressure fuel injectors), but definitely something not right with that clunk on shut down. However I have no clues what it might be.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
George05 (05-21-2020), Jasin Dhaliwal (02-09-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I cant see you tube at work but can tell you that if youre reffering to a clunk at shiut down it is the tolerance that is needed between the rotors. You notice this is the spring isolator while idling osilates between 5-20* before and after at rest centering. So when you shut down it goes to center and you hear the rotor knock. Did i explain that well enough?

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
bydand (02-13-2017), Panthro (02-13-2017), VPinGA (02-23-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
I cant see you tube at work but can tell you that if youre reffering to a clunk at shiut down it is the tolerance that is needed between the rotors. You notice this is the spring isolator while idling osilates between 5-20* before and after at rest centering. So when you shut down it goes to center and you hear the rotor knock. Did i explain that well enough?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by that. I've compared it to another XF just recently, and although it does have a slight sound thats similar, mine is much much louder. I am aware the supercharger does sometimes have a 'kickback' but i don't think the sound i'm getting is normal.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Yes, that is what mine does. thanks for the explanation.

If you get a chance to see the Youtube, the vacuum line loop on the right had bank, is above the plastic engine cover, and is wearing a groove on the supercharger badge, So I have tucked mine underneath the plastic cover, bit too late now. Is this were it is meant to go, I have seen them above and below the engine cover.

Jasin, have you had the water pump changed yet?

Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 PM

They blames the clunk on the "age of the car" and the km on it. Its a 2013..... and still under factory warranty. Said its bound to get louder with the age.............. Absolutely unacceptable by Jaguar

Old 02-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasin Dhaliwal
They blames the clunk on the "age of the car" and the km on it. Its a 2013..... and still under factory warranty. Said its bound to get louder with the age.............. Absolutely unacceptable by Jaguar
So, how many miles are on the car?

Yes, appears to be a little louder than mine.

Yes, it is still under warranty!!

I would go back and speak to the dealer first before Jaguar HQ.

The dealers do tend to be disgustingly polite....
I mean crawling and scraping polite without any technical knowledge or abilities.
Reminds me of a scene in Pretty Women. You Know the one.

The dealers sell cars. Jaguar manufacture and honour the warranty on that car.

You are correct, generally dealers give no feed back on issues, just e mails and phone calls to fill in their feed back forms. On how do you find our service?

Well fill it in.

I would go back to the dealer and explain your concern, with the loud engine noise and you do require feed back so this is recorded in the service history, before you may have go to Jaguar HQ if this is not resolved to your satisfaction.

There is no point, at this stage making a big deal about it on a public forum.
(If you know where I am coming from.)

Quick Reply: Supercharger Rattle?