XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Thinking of an XF

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Thinking of an XF

I'm on the x308 forum mostly...but, stopped by the local dealer to see what was on the lot...thinking of an '11 or '12 (all the cars are CPO'd, so, warranty out to 6yr/100K miles)...and had a chance to drive an '11 and '12 XF. (the '12 was a Prestige, '11 was the base)

Freakin' WOW. 5 liter V8...gobs (as compared to the relatively sedate XJ8) of power, flappy paddles, and what's with that rotating gear selector?

Noticed that the ride was a bit (heck, a lot) firmer than the base XJ8, but plenty of acceleration when I pressed the loud pedal and the noise, even inside with the windows up, I could hear was the Right Noise for a Jag. Wow.

Anyway...thought I'd throw in and ask...gotchas? (brake pads lasting 7K miles? WTH?). Plusses? Minuses? It's just me and the missus, no curtain climbers anymore, so the backseat looked ok for occasional legal age adult use.

Lots of gadgets though. Almost too many, I think, but that's what the original owner paid for (and ate in depreciation, right?).

The '11, with a little under 34K miles, is around the 28K mark; the '12, with a little over 40K on the clock is coming in at 32-33K (it was just traded 10 minutes before I test drove it...thinking the salesman was drooling at the thought of flipping it the same day as it came in, right? Hadn't even been detailed...still had dirty carpets and Christmas tree needles in the trunk..LOL).

Thinking the '12, even with a little over 40K would be a better deal (especially since the Jag warranty would stretch out to august '18 (original date in service was august 12). Only downside, in my mind, is that it's a black car, charcoal prestige interior. Black is good for hearses and limos, and never looks clean a day after detailing it out.

Thoughts? Insights from other XF owners. But, I have to say, I did like how the car felt, how it drove (stiffer suspension aside), and the powerrrrrrr....intoxicating.

Thanks, guys.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to XF...MY first thought would to consider a SC If you plan on some mods to increase HP. Also , I typically go for the lower mileage as long as the car is clean. The XF is a touring beast , with the right engine..best of both worlds with a great riding experience. No real major issues IMHO ...haven't heard brakes that frequently ...drive mine about 4-5k a year.
It's a head turner so be prepared for some attention .
Good luck.!

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 10:59 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

The 2012 has the updated front end that mirrors the XJ and I believe more updated wheels as well. I have two of these and I really like them. The 5.0 V8 with 385 HP is a perfect fit for this car. I would not even consider the SC for an additional 10K. The NA V8 is plenty of power for me. Coming from an XJL, the ride is stiffer but the car is a lot sportier. I say get the 2012 and wash it weekly....it will be fine.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by XJL
The NA V8 is plenty of power for me.
And not for me. Check out the XFR or XFR-S and the XJR as well. Then see if the NA car is acceptable

Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 AM

LOL. More Powerrrrrr...

Actually, here in the people's republic of the northeast, there really are not a lot of places to exercise the power's potential. I owned a Turboesprit for 6 years...the roads are sooo crowded on the boston-ny-dc corridor and the revenue enhancement so oppressive, that opening the taps fully is a recipe for adding funds to the town you're in. Had it above 130 a couple times...but most of the time was spent +/- the legal.

Leaning towards the '12, even if it IS black. Not looking to do any performance enhancements; maybe, just maybe, a tasteful coachline (it has none right now) to break up the expanse of black on the sides. That would be all.

(FWIW, my X308 is just bone stock and that's ok with me...)

Old 12-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an '03 XJ8, that I loved, had to let it go when it started having transmission issues sadly. And being a huge Lotus Esprit fan... I have come close a few times to buying one, again sadly I lived in WV for a few years and now Cincinnati, let me say that roads suck in WV except for interstates and I lived 30 miles from one and here in Cincinnati road destruction is a daily thing. Anyways... bought me a '13 XF SC AWD and I can say I love it. Best of many worlds, AWD for winter and plenty of HP for interstate driving. My only complaint is the sound just isn't right. If it had the F type exhaust I would be a happy camper. Yes it is a little stiffer than my XJ8 in the ride but it makes up for it in every other way possible.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Bdboyle- I'm on Long Island population 9 million. Believe me you find roads lol. Whatever you decide you'll be happy is my point . Good luck and let us know what you purchase

Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

I'd be more interested in the 12 since it's a higher trim level, has the updated styling and nav, and the original warranty would theoretically be in effect longer (that may or may not be the case since the 11 had a longer warranty with maintenance included). Remember, the certified warranty doesn't cover trim issues, so make sure to address all of those before it expires.

And I have the same issue with black. My advice would be to find out what you like ie which generation, trim level and colors, then find the closest and cleanest one you can afford. Then enjoy.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

The base really gives up a lot to the premium edition in features and in the quality of the leather. I think you will be kicking yourself later if you get the base. Why does it have to be one of those 2 cars? There's always a ton coming to the market for sale. Wait just a little and get what you want instead of big time compromises on color, features, etc...

Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I have a '12 and that is what I would recommend. You'd get the updated looks.

I was a long time track racer and for me, the base 5.0 engine power in this sedan is plenty enough. When it comes to hard driving I can keep up with just about any car on the roads. It will also pay off in the long term with significantly better MPG. Also, if you wish you can safely run regular fuel in the NA 5.0 where you should never consider that with a boosted engine.

The XF handles quite well with the stock suspension, more agile and more responsive than my XJL and, it actually rides better. It is a stiff suspension but, does not do that constant tire "pattering" that comes with my XJL.

You are not going to be sorry if you go for the higher interior levels and options.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't think you'd regret either though I'd go with the 12 for the updates styling which IMO gives it the look it should have had from launch. Mine is the 3.0L, I've had if for nearly 18 months; I've had two bad O2 sensors(which seemed to be relegated to the AWD model) and now my front rotors seem to be warped, so it's going to the dealer tomorrow(~15,000 miles). Other than that it's been a solid car, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
I don't think you'd regret either though I'd go with the 12 for the updates styling which IMO gives it the look it should have had from launch. Mine is the 3.0L, I've had if for nearly 18 months; I've had two bad O2 sensors(which seemed to be relegated to the AWD model) and now my front rotors seem to be warped, so it's going to the dealer tomorrow(~15,000 miles). Other than that it's been a solid car, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another.
I've had a bad O2 sensor. I don't have AWD. About 14,000 miles when the sensor was replaced.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by glenonoka
I've had a bad O2 sensor. I don't have AWD. About 14,000 miles when the sensor was replaced.
Like I said, it seemed that way, mine went at 3k and 6k, oddly enough my CEL came on in the exact same spot, what are the odds of that? But there was a thread about it and the others that had them go bad were in Ohio like myself. I chalked it up to being a bad batch as searches for it didn't result in a widespread problem.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by joey4420
I had an '03 XJ8, that I loved, had to let it go when it started having transmission issues sadly. And being a huge Lotus Esprit fan... I have come close a few times to buying one, again sadly I lived in WV for a few years and now Cincinnati, let me say that roads suck in WV except for interstates and I lived 30 miles from one and here in Cincinnati road destruction is a daily thing. Anyways... bought me a '13 XF SC AWD and I can say I love it. Best of many worlds, AWD for winter and plenty of HP for interstate driving. My only complaint is the sound just isn't right. If it had the F type exhaust I would be a happy camper. Yes it is a little stiffer than my XJ8 in the ride but it makes up for it in every other way possible.
Ain't nothing like an Esprit...especially when you get into the twisty bits. The last of the "G" (Giugiaro) turbos (86-87) were the pinnacle of Chapman's original design; they had worked all the bugs out of electrics (GM-owned by this point), and the only weak point was the Citroen SM transaxle they used; the box was built to handle the 160-ish HP that the original Maserati 6-pot put out in the SM...when you put it behind a 215 HP boosted engine that liked to wiggle the pressure needle...well...the ring and pinion (as well as second synchros) didn't last too long.

That, and the hard-edge styling...they redid it in 88 and it was just not the same 'bad boy' look. A bit softer, a bit more 'upmarket'.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Default Well

Going to stop by the dealer today; sales guy left a couple messages later Saturday afternoon. (guess they want to move iron for the end of the year...) I'm leaning toward the 12, just on price alone.

Dealer is offering to eat an extended warranty on top of the CPO extension to bring me out to August 2019 on powertrain and suspension, 1 full spring detail a year, and bring all the software and maps up to date.

Oh, yeah, the tires are all being replaced; dealer said that they are below 50% tread.

Hmmm....maybe a new kitty in the drive is in my future? I must be insane to have nothing but Brit cars in the garage. SWMBO said "Isn't ONE Jag enough?" Don't think her head's around the concept yet (but has no problem borrowing the XJ to drive to work (her boss has an 08 XJ8) or running errands...).

Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Ain't nothing like an Esprit...especially when you get into the twisty bits. The last of the "G" (Giugiaro) turbos (86-87) were the pinnacle of Chapman's original design; they had worked all the bugs out of electrics (GM-owned by this point), and the only weak point was the Citroen SM transaxle they used; the box was built to handle the 160-ish HP that the original Maserati 6-pot put out in the SM...when you put it behind a 215 HP boosted engine that liked to wiggle the pressure needle...well...the ring and pinion (as well as second synchros) didn't last too long.

That, and the hard-edge styling...they redid it in 88 and it was just not the same 'bad boy' look. A bit softer, a bit more 'upmarket'.
Trying to stay on topic... I love my Jag , as far as the Esprit goes... I loved the Giugiaro body style I came very close to buying an 84, very low mileage and very well taken care of. If I were to go with the Steven's body, it would have to be an 89.5 model but not the V8... I like the idea of the V8, but if you have issues the cost of engine replacement is more than the car...

Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Seems like a great early Christmas present to me, go for it.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

I like the idea of the V8, but if you have issues the cost of engine replacement is more than the car...
Actually, an engine failure is just as devastating with earlier cars for the cost to repair vs value of the car, unless it's ones of the collectibles, like an S1.

Even though they are Lotus' own engines, both the 4 and V8 only blow up if you do something stupid.

I have owned both, and once you have owned the V8, you won't go back. Here's what I have right now:

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of an XF-new-wheels-048-medium-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Trying to stay on topic... I love my Jag , as far as the Esprit goes... I loved the Giugiaro body style I came very close to buying an 84, very low mileage and very well taken care of. If I were to go with the Steven's body, it would have to be an 89.5 model but not the V8... I like the idea of the V8, but if you have issues the cost of engine replacement is more than the car...
Loving my Jag also...

Old 12-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

To add a few thoughts (or to muddle up your thinking), here's our experiences with Jaguars the last 4 years or so. We got a 2009 XF premium luxury NA 4.2 L in 2010 and put 40,000+ miles on it before recently trading it. Enjoyed every mile, and maybe it was my imagination, but I did hear more engine roar in the cabin compared to the 2008 XJ8L that we had for the last 2+ years, putting 25,000 miles on it. The XF satisfied my wife's desire to have a newer looking, sports sedan, the XJ8L satisfied my desire to have a traditional Jaguar XJ with more interior space. Those two cars each had the same 300 hp engines, 6 speed transmissions and I felt they each had ample power. In early November, we traded both the XF and XJ8L on a 2012 XJL SC with the 5.0L, 470 hp and boy does it go. I guess the newer XJL is the perfect compromise for both of us, newer styling with plenty of interior space. The extra hp is a plus. By the way, we found our XF (non-AWD) using winter driving mode with snow tires to be our preferred driver in the winter, leaving our Escalade in the garage. Since you have an XJ now, have you looked at the XJL's? . . . 2011 or 2012?

Quick Reply: Thinking of an XF