XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Thoughts on selling 2010 XFR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thoughts on selling 2010 XFR?

Ive been going back and forth on selling my 2010 XFR- 45k miles, brand new tires and brakes. Cosmetically and mechanically flawless except for two rims with pretty bad curb rash - im a cautious driver and the combination of low pro tires and rim sitting just outside the tire wall these things are impossible to keep pristine.
The CPO warranty expires in 3 months and while it has not required much service since I bought it I understand these can get expense as they get older and out of warranty. Ive always owned higher end cars so expecting 2-4k a year in repairs and maintenance does not scare me but something in the 7-10k range (like i ran into twice with my v10 Audi) makes me scared to keep the car much longer. Not to mention how little it will be worth in another year or two
Overall I love the car, cant think of another sedan I would rather own under 80k and everyone who asks me about it thinks its a 2013/14 - its aging well.
If I sold the xfr I would likely switch directions and get a sports car, 9114s, f type coupe s or a part of me really likes the new stingrays but the car snob in me probably wont go that direction though its arguably a better car at a lower price.
When ive done some casual shopping around at the dealer it looks like id be looking at 30-33k on the trade in. I see them selling in the high 30s online and am sure i could get a bit more selling it privately but would rather not go through the hassle.
im 75% likely to keep the car. When i drive it and see it in my garage i seems like a car worth much more than it actually is. Seems like id be giving away a fantastic car that i really like and free of issues just for peace of mind or the itch to have something new
Im also thinking that having it out of warranty opens up some cool tuning and visual customization options i didnt want to get into while under CPO. could hurt reliability or make the car all the more enjoyable to own.

General thoughts or feedback? im sure those on the forum who bought the early years of the xfr have kicked around similar thoughts so it would be great to hear what direction you ended up going and reasons that led you to that decision.

Worth noting I have a Range Rover HSE I drive in the winter and with the XFR paid off i could justify buying a sports car and keep the xfr but the reasonable side of me thinks that is a bit excessive for someone living in a middle class suburb of Cincinnati and maintaining / paying insurance for 3 cars I hardly drive is a crazy waste of money for a 31 year old.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

If you love the car which it sounds like you do, have you looked at buying an extended warranty? I've got one on my 2010 XFR for 6 years 100k miles. I am with you though I can't imagine owning this outside of warranty.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 PM

I started looking into aftermarket warranties this month. Which one did you go with? I read a few posts on the forum around this subject but a couple of the companies suggested are no longer in business and trying to figure out what your actually buying from these guys is tough. Received quotes for 2-3 years of coverage ranging from 24000 miles up to 100,000 miles for about 3k. Both seemed to provide comprehensive coverage but had weird carve outs for the exhaust system (which i assume includes cats and 02 sensors) and just about everything on the inside of the car
Would like to buy something that provides as close to the jaguar CPO warranty i currently have, low or no deductible for authorized service, ability for jag dealers to work on the car and provide 3 years of coverage - ill likely drive it for two more and it should help sell with a clear title and 12 months remaining on the warranty.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat. Down to the curb rash. My '10 has 48k on the ODO, and I'm about to list it for sale. The only difference is mine is CPO through 7/2016, I just don't want to keep it until the last minute.

And aftermarket warranties worry me; just too many things they exclude, or they must authorize repairs first, etc.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Have you guys thought about the delta between possible repair costs vs. depreciation on the new vehicle? You'll easily break even on that deal even IF you have any larger repairs. If you love your car and you have low miles (and you will continue to drive low miles) why not keep it?

Now if you're just ready for something different, don't try to make your emotional decision logical. It never works.

The following users liked this post:
dbeck84 (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by dbeck84
I started looking into aftermarket warranties this month. Which one did you go with? I read a few posts on the forum around this subject but a couple of the companies suggested are no longer in business and trying to figure out what your actually buying from these guys is tough. Received quotes for 2-3 years of coverage ranging from 24000 miles up to 100,000 miles for about 3k. Both seemed to provide comprehensive coverage but had weird carve outs for the exhaust system (which i assume includes cats and 02 sensors) and just about everything on the inside of the car
Would like to buy something that provides as close to the jaguar CPO warranty i currently have, low or no deductible for authorized service, ability for jag dealers to work on the car and provide 3 years of coverage - ill likely drive it for two more and it should help sell with a clear title and 12 months remaining on the warranty.
I bought the Jaguar Select warranty I think? Mine was CPO but the biggest sham about CPO warranties is that they start the clock from the date of the original purchase. I negotiated the extended warranty from Jag in (price would have been I believe $2100) and for 6 years from the date of my delivery or 100k miles. That should easily outlast the note I have on it. I'll have to look back through the paperwork but I think it's a $100 deductible, covers most of the major systems.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, as stated above……an extended CPO AFTER your existing CPO expires, is available if you ask for it. I got one for 3 years and it started the day I paid for it, which was about two months before my existing CPO expires. Keep in mind that this new CPO must be in place for one month before one can use it. However since it is a Jag policy (through Assurant Solutions), the work will be done by Jag tech. and there is no waiting for an approval since it is entirely in-house. Using a Jag dealer means NO deductible but any other repair shop requires a $100 deductible.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Your comment is spot on - and something more car owners should think about. On one hand I have a slightly aging high end sedan that COULD need expensive repairs but these are good cars if well maintained. Seen several with nearly 100k on the clock. If i trade it in i might get 30k, will be buying something else in the 70-80k range leaving me with a 700 / mo payment. Very easy to look at it as instead of a 700 a month payment i could set aside 8400 a year for repairs and its unlikely i will ever go above half that in a given year. Throw in the 5k for state sales tax on the new car and the finances always make sense to keep what you have if your happy with it. Can always dump it later if repairs start getting out of hand. Most of my worry is due to my last car a 2008 Audi S6. Last year i had it, spent a total of 5 months at the dealer and had 9k in repairs. Became a family joke that my v10 s6 always looked a lot more like a 2013 a4 - loaner car

thanks for the feedback. Confirmed most of my thoughts but always good to hear rational opinions from others removed from the situation

Old 04-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going to have the same discussion with myself in 4-5 years when my warranty will run out. It all depends on:

1. How bad I want something newer?
2. How much better is the new one?
3. What is mine worth then?
4. How good of a deal can I get on what I would replace it with?
5. My service history over that time period and what others have experienced.
6. Overall financial situation at the time.

Complex math for sure, but the first, fifth & sixth will be the biggest determining factors. Worrying about what might happen, within reason of course, will not. Now if a lot of motors or trannys are blowing/burning up at 100k, that may scare me too much. So there's a limit to the risk I'm willing to take as well. Not going to put a $15k motor in a $15k car.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am actually interested in buying a 2010 XFR and came upon this post. Looking at the local autotrader postings in my area I see an XFR at around the 60k miles ODO for 36 grand CAD$.

I wanted to get this car and keep it for maybe 2-4 years until buying another newer car depending on my finances (maybe newer X260 xfr?).

I was wondering since you all own XFR's , what is your average annual maintenance/repair costs? Is that all covered under your warranty? How much would it have cost without the warranty?

Would u recommend I get warranty on a car like this, or spend own cash to repair problems at a non jag dealership?

I heard these cars are very reliable, would you say so?

Regards

Old 04-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I had the same dilemma....I had a 2010 XFR that was in pristine condition (and no curb rash) with a 105,000 miles.

I spent a lot of time and effort to keep it perfect despite the fact that it was a daily driver and a four season car. That said, after it turned 100,000 miles, things went south. I hit a few issues back to back to back...fixed most of them, but then I was warned that the car would probably need a timing chain within the next 12 months. When I heard the price, I said it was about time to abandon ship.

I traded it in for an F type R. I love the F type, no doubt. But, I have to say that the XFR is simply a special car. I just loved it....it was the right balance of everything you could want in a car. However, I just could not financially justify dumping thousands of dollars into a car that was only worth in the low 20s. Something had to give, and I decided to trade in at the right time, and get Jaguar's flagship model.

The F type R is an awesome car, and in many ways, picks up where the XFR left off. I think these cars are amazing as long as you are within warranty. After that, if problems start, it becomes difficult to justify owning them especially if you are at high mileage.

That said, if my XFR had less than 50,000 miles and was running well... There is no doubt that I would still be driving it no matter how old it is, and regardless if I had a warranty or not.

My advice is to enjoy the car as long as you can, but figure out your "break point".

Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I was warned that the car would probably need a timing chain within the next 12 months. When I heard the price, I said it was about time to abandon ship.
How much was the dealer quote?

Can any of the techs weigh in here? Is this what's to be expected? Or was this the dealership scaring him into a sale of a new one?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

It was $9600 because many of the parts that needed to be removed to replace the timing chain need to be replaced with new parts. I had to get Jaguar NA involved, and after I dealt with a complete tool at customer service, my dealer worked with regional tech rep to get it reduced by 50%.

My dealer is excellent, so I don't think it was a scam. In the end, it was still too much for me and didn't make sense.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in a similar boat here as I have an '11 SC and it's only got 15k miles... I'd like to get a warranty as there's really not anything else out there that I really like...

I called Jaguar today and they said there's something called the Vehicle Protection Plan -- I found this site w/ a little details. Jaguar Parts & Accessories Warranty | Jaguar USA

Because I have owned the car since new, I can't get a Select Edition warranty. I am going to call some dealers today to see what it costs.

Has anyone heard of this?

F Type guys were discussing this topic in this thread... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...y-today-99763/

Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM

I bought one to take over AFTER my present CPO ends next month. I was told it is very similar to the CPO and it is transferrable and has a pro-rated refund. The under lying company is Assurant Solutions which has been rated pretty high compared to any of the other third party solutions.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chuckh007
I bought one to take over AFTER my present CPO ends next month. I was told it is very similar to the CPO and it is transferrable and has a pro-rated refund. The under lying company is Assurant Solutions which has been rated pretty high compared to any of the other third party solutions.
I purchased the Assurant warranty and had my supercharger coolant pump replaced yesterday.. Picked it up today and paid nothing. So I'm happy so far.

WRXtranceformed (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I purchased the Assurant warranty and had my supercharger coolant pump replaced yesterday.. Picked it up today and paid nothing. So I'm happy so far.
No issues with the warranty / dealership with the mods you have so far?

My local Jag dealer is really good and I made friends with one of the service techs there. He said I should be fine as long as it's just minor stuff like exhaust.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
No issues with the warranty / dealership with the mods you have so far?

My local Jag dealer is really good and I made friends with one of the service techs there. He said I should be fine as long as it's just minor stuff like exhaust.
No. None at all. They all know I have a tune and pulley and even call me if they have someone looking for a tune. And the tune or the pulley has nothing to do with the pump not pumping coolant. Magnuson-Moss has me covered. Now if I burn a piston or a valve, I might have a bit more of a discussion.

I even have a sticker that says I have a Jaguar approved modification to the vehicle. They put it on there about the time we had the reflash for the emissions, so I'm not sure it's for anything more than that, but it keeps people from reflashing it.

WRXtranceformed (04-24-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by chuckh007
What did they charger you? I just got a quote from them for 3 years 30k miles for 4400. seemed a little high to me. Thoughts?

Old 04-26-2015, 12:43 AM

That is high……try another dealer !

Quick Reply: Thoughts on selling 2010 XFR?