XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

uncomfortable seat

Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uncomfortable seat

Hello

I just bought a XF jag.
Noted that the seat was not very comfy- started to hurt my butt after a long drive. never happened before.
Anyone had same issues?
Any suggestions to solve this- seat cushion? or any other suggestions?

thanks
pankaj

Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Seat may break in a little as you put the miles on.

However, the seat cushion is a little narrow between the side supports if you are, ahem, a little broader in the derrière than the average skinny Englishman.

Nothing can be done in this regard. The original base XF had quite flat seats which did not pressure the outer thigh bone. The newer seats are more body hugging and for some uncomfortably so.

The only thing I can say is as the seats break in so does your @$$ to some degree. Or, put another way, if you don't get used to it there really is no satisfactory solution. The sport seats are even more confining than the standard portfolio seats. I do not know if the base seats are still flatter than the portfolio or sport seats.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Sometime it can take a little while to ensconce yourself into the seat, especially on a new car.

Give yourself a week or two and keep adjusting the seats. You will find the perfect position.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 PM

thanks guys...
i have a small derrier...lol
i think its the thigh bone that kinda rides on the edge of the seat.
car is used....so will wait, as suggested, for a few weeks.

thx again

Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

So maybe you need to raise the caloric intake for some additional padding?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

It definitely is the outside of each thigh bone that feels the pressure. I think you get used to it.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
So maybe you need to raise the caloric intake for some additional padding?
hehehe......doubt that'll solve the issue

Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

This seat cover should take care of your problem. I have purchased one for my XJL, not so much because of the seat was uncomfortable but, because of the harsh ride of my particular car. Most likely something is wrong with my suspension and the car will go to the dealer soon. But, the memory seat pad works well, it is thick foam, really comfy.

Amazon.com: Thermo Sensitive Memory Foam Seat Cushion: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Thermo Sensitive Memory Foam Seat Cushion: Health & Personal Care

Albert

Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

My 12 XF is the base model and the seat is very comfortable to me. The bolsters are not confining at all on my "wide load"!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
My 12 XF is the base model and the seat is very comfortable to me. The bolsters are not confining at all on my "wide load"!
Ditto..Great seats

Old 06-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got a 2013 XF as well and we have the base seats. Recently took it on an 8 hour long drive and I did not have that problem, but the problem I have with the seat is that it does not provide any kind of lower back support, much less some sort of adjustable lumbar support either. This is a problem for me as I have a bad back. Hoping that it changes as it gets used more, but probably not, may have to buy a lumbar cushion to help with that.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Default Not a fan of the seats either

I have to admit, the seats are a lot less comfortable than in my previous 2002 S-Type. I have the XF Premium Luxury, and the air cooled bit is nice, but I cannot get the seat in the same attitude/driving position as I could with the S-Type. The lumbar support is also not good, and the side bolsters are not particularly comfortable.

Love the car, and it's great to drive, but I've been disappointed in the seats, even after some weeks of ownership.

Cheers,

Tim

Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Default ditto

Originally Posted by gjain76
Just got a 2013 XF as well and we have the base seats. Recently took it on an 8 hour long drive and I did not have that problem, but the problem I have with the seat is that it does not provide any kind of lower back support, much less some sort of adjustable lumbar support either. This is a problem for me as I have a bad back. Hoping that it changes as it gets used more, but probably not, may have to buy a lumbar cushion to help with that.
2014 XF base seats. After a couple hours the lack of lumbar support and insufficient bottom cushion firmness becomes very uncomfortable. Let me share what I have learned over the years on this subject. 1960s Mercedes' seats were so stiff that at first sit, you were tempted to call them uncomfortable but after 20 minutes, the firmness was WONDERFUL. I think all carmakers know what to do; they often choose not to for test drive reasons. A friend bought a 1978 Chevrolet Impala with the police car package (9C1). I immediately noticed that when I drove it, I stayed alert and focused for hours on end. On the passenger side I usually fell asleep. Compared to a standard Impala of that year there was one noticeable difference: the standard seat had a steel sheet that supported the cushion but with a hole cut out under the buttocks. The police car seat described as ""heavy duty" was a solid sheet of steel. Not crushing down under my weight: Stiff and comfortable.

So why make the standard seat so bad? How long is the average test drive? About 20 minutes. Soft and cushy feels good at first, but not after several hours.

What's my solution? Base seats have no lumbar adjustment which my 2000 Corvette did. Lumbar support pillow maybe. The lack of support in the buttocks part of the seat is a little harder to fix. Thinking of combining a sheet of 1/8" steel with extra firm upholstery foam to create something that distributes the load and stiffens the seat.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:22 PM

Won't know for sure until I drive it tomorrow on a medium length trip, but a 3.5" x 1.5" x1/8" wall aluminum tube under the seat inserted from the rear significantly increased bottom cushion support.

Last edited by claytoncramer; 08-08-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by claytoncramer
Won't know for sure until I drive it tomorrow on a medium length trip, but a 3.5" x 1.5" x1/8" wall aluminum tube under the seat inserted from the rear significantly increased bottom cushion support.
But didn't stay. The dealer suggested a local upholstery shop.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2012 Portfolio, I know they made a lot of interior improvements from 2011 to the refresh in 2012. I am the opposite, the seat for me is the most comfortable seat I have ever been in. To get my car I flew from SLC, UT to Dallas, TX, and drove it from Plano, TX to SLC. Between two blizzards, getting stuck in the snow, traffic jams, and taking a bad route it was about a 23 hour drive. My butt never even got uncomfortable or sore and I was literally in the car for an entire day/night. Anyway, as comfy as I think the seat is, I think getting in and out of my XF is very difficult . Hard seat to get out of, I feel like a 70 year old man every time I try to get out (I am 26)