XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

upper control arms.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper control arms.

so I looked around here first to see if I could find an answer, couldn't. I need to change my upper control arms because my ball joints at F*****. thanks Hawaii roads. I cant seem to get the bolts that hold the bushing in, out. the just hit my springs/shocks. do I have to remove all of the suspension to get these simple things out?!

Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by frogbodman
so I looked around here first to see if I could find an answer, couldn't. I need to change my upper control arms because my ball joints at F*****. thanks Hawaii roads. I cant seem to get the bolts that hold the bushing in, out. the just hit my springs/shocks. do I have to remove all of the suspension to get these simple things out?!
Year and model would help

But generally the shock and spring assembly need to come out to remove the upper control arm bolts.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 PM

haha my bad 2009 xf.
so jag designed it so something completely unrelated is in the way just so I have to take a butt load more things off to change 2 bolts. figures

Old 02-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

And to make it worse, you need to unbolt and push out of the way a couple of the suspension links before you can wiggle the front strut assemblies out.
Not really a DIY job, soooo much easier on a hoist (unless of course you are lucky enough to have your own hoist).

Old 02-26-2017, 11:31 PM

I guess I'll make the shop do it when I get my safety inspection. Thanks for the info man

Old 02-28-2017, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by frogbodman
haha my bad 2009 xf.
so jag designed it so something completely unrelated is in the way just so I have to take a butt load more things off to change 2 bolts. figures
Glass 1/2 full, it be a good time to give all the suspension components a good look at.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe I disconnected the shock mount from the top to allow it to move enough to remove the two bolts. As for the bolt joint, I just let the suspension pull and used a pickle fork.

The hardest part on the passenger side was getting to the nut that's inside the engine Bay under the fuse box on the firewall side. I used a telescoping magnet to stop it from falling on removal and install.

If you research s-type jaguar it's the same set-up.

Last edited by Shadow993; 03-01-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I spent a solid day changing my upper arms..........was actually swappingvthe upper arm bushes for poly versions which I highly recomend, really tightens up the front end feel and noticed no difference in nvh.
was a nightmare job though as si many parts have to be removed........plenum, fusebox, water resevoir, shoks top and bottom bolts.......good luck