XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR vs XKR - which to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XFR vs XKR - which to choose?

I'm currently driving an Audi RS4 cabriolet and my lease is coming to an end later this year. I first saw the Jaguar XK a couple of months ago while on vacation and just fell in love with the design. Since Audi does not have a configuration that really excites me (considered both the S4 and S5 coupe)...I've decided to go for a Jaguar for my next lease.

I have three kids though only my son who is age 11 rides in my car with myself and my husband (my daughters have their own cars). We test drove the XK and the XFR this past weekend and I was really impressed with both (there was no XKR on the lot).

I had virtually ruled out the XKR due to the lack of room in the back seat. My son fits now, but I can't see him fitting there in even another year at the rate he's growing. So, I'll most likely be ordering the XFR within the next couple of weeks - BUT...I can't get the XKR out of my mind!!

My husband reminded me that if we need to drive somewhere with the whole family we need to take two cars right now anyway, so why not just order the XKR that I prefer? Last night I did some research and found information on the new body design of the 2012 XFR which is making it more interesting.

Glad to have found this forum and I hope to get some good advice on my decision.

Sandy

Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

So you know I'm biased because I chose the XFR myself, but really, it gives up nothing to the XKR and is way more practical. Tonight, for example, I had a large, full-length mirror I had to move and it was a piece of cake to fold down the rear seats and slip it into the cargo area.

I don't regularly carry passengers in the back, but often enough to appreciate having four doors so they can enter and exit without anyone up front needing to get out, too. This is especially handy when it rains.

Even if practicality didn't matter, to my eyes, the looks of the two cars are a toss-up. The lines of the XFR are so smooth they are almost coupe-like.

There is little if any performance difference. After dropping off the mirror, I entered a freeway on-ramp pulling enough Gs to rival a good roller coaster.

Throw in the fact that the XFR costs less than an XKR and well, how can you go wrong with an XFR?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Sandy,

I came from a 2008 Audi S4 to my XFR. Owning a fast Audi was always on my tick-list but after 18 months I was a bit bored of it. Highly capable and well designed & built, but just a little too accomplished - difficult to have fun with. The RS4 was never worth the extra $$ in my view, not in US spec anyway. And nothing on offer from Audi currently floats my boat either.

So, to your choice. I am biased too and agree with everything above. As a 35 yo male with a 7 yo son, the XKR should probably have been ahead of the XFR for me, but the practicality and much, much better value for money won me over. The XKR exhaust is apparently slightly fruitier sounding, but an aftermarket exhaust is several thousand $$ cheaper than going for the XKR. The coupe should have that bit more presence than the saloon, but for some reason, I don't think it does. Maybe the XKR is too subtle - maybe you need to get an XKR-S!

The 2012 facelift is definitely worth it - makes the XFR look that bit meaner. A few magazine articles in the UK reckon the XFR is a bit better resolved handling wise than the XKR - probably due to weight distribution, but I doubt most of us would notice the difference in every day driving.

However, when shopping for a car, I tend to think of things in categories. The XFR is fantastic value for money vs its peers (M5, E63 AMG, Panamera) and is arguably the best of the lot. In the sub $80k category, it is a winner. The XKR is easily a $100k sports car and against other $100k sports cars, I don't think it stands out. 997 Carrera GTS would be my choice in that market.

Happy shopping!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Wow!! Thanks guys - that's exactly the feedback I was looking for.

When it comes down to it, I know that the XFR is more practical, it costs less and has more space, so I think this is the direction I'm going to take for this purchase. My dealer called me today while I was in a meeting and left me a message regarding the 2012 pricing and just said I would be happy with what he found out. What a tease!!

My son will only be a passenger for just a few more years so his needs should take priority. In a few years I'll get a 2-seater, maybe an XKR, maybe an XKR-S!

And really, when you think about it - it's hardly compromising to get a vehicle with 510 horsepower!! I'm very lucky and very fortunate to be able to even consider either car and I know that.

Thanks for the information - this has been so helpful!! I'll continue perusing and hopefully contributing to the forum. Seems like a great place to hang out!

Sandy

Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

This is how friendly forums we are and our valuable friends prove this once again
They summed up very neatly that's why they left me nothing to add ,so I would say XFR

Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Okay, I love my XKR. I bought it for looks and a good ride and that's what I get!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The biggest problem with comparing modern two door cars to a four door equivalent is that it reveals just how impractical the two door is.

Even though built from aluminum the XK doesn't have a significant weight advantage over the XF (which was the primary reason for the "sports" car in the first place). Advances in engineering of unibodies coupled with crash test requirements means that the "coupe" is going to be marginally lighter than the sedan (and the roofless version is often heavier than the sedan).

Modern drivetrains, suspension and brakes with modern tires mean that the coupe will offer no real performance advantage either.

it then boils down to styling v practicality. This prompted the "sedan as coupe" styling so popular at the moment. The Italians even hide the rear door shut lines and exterior handle on some of theirs.

Until Jaguar brings out the smaller coupe and convertible (the long promised "F" type) the XF wins every battle with the XK except a styling preference. Heck, the XF has exactly the same suspension under it.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Default Just heard back from the dealer...

Just heard back from the dealer on the 2012 pricing. I was driving when we talked but I believe he said $82,875 for the XFR plus $450 if I want the red brake calipers (which I do). I had requested the base XFR with ultimate metallic black exterior and Warm Charcoal seats with Warm Charcoal upper fascia in Softgrain leather and Dove Jaguar Suedecloth Premium headlining interior plus red brake calipers (he's going to follow up to confirm pricing by email).

I've never placed an order for a car before. How much negotiation room on the price do you think I'll have if I place an order for the exact XFR that I want, rather than waiting and taking my chances when my lease ends in December?

I'm trying to work a trade into the deal with my 2008 Audi RS4 cabriolet. The residual on the car is around $32K but the book value right now is over $50K. If I just turn it in, I get nothing. I'm trying to get the Jaguar dealer to take my car in trade and either way, they'll make money on it and hopefully I will be able to reduce my cost on the Jag. (the Audi is also rare - only ~200 in the US in this configuration)

(Ideally I would just sell the Audi on my own but I'm leasing with US Bank and they hold title so I would have to buy the car myself and then sell it.)

Any advice? Am I approaching this in the right way by trying to work a trade?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would wait until December (always a good time of year for a deal) and see what choice of XFR you have - I am sure you will find a spec you like, even if not your ideal. You definitely shouldn't just hand your RS4 back. You can sell it privately and settle the title issues in a single transaction - the Jag dealer may even handle that paperwork for you even if you are not trading with them. The dealer will take it as a trade though and even Carmax will settle leases, take the car and give you the difference while you wait.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I think everybody on this forum did a great job at highlighting the difference between the XKR and XFR. Ultimately, the XFR is more car for less money. It offers the same performance, incredible styling, a better interior, and infinitely more practicality. As such, with all of these qualities, it is more car for $20,000 less money.

Even from a styling point of view, the XKR, although beautiful, is proportionally awkward. The nose and the hood are way too long for the length of the car. The XKR is neither small nor light, but the packaging is very inefficient in that it offers very little interior volume. Don't get me wrong, I love the XKR, and I had the privilege of driving it aggressively on a race track. It is a great sports/GT car.

However, I made the choice to buy the XFR, and I have never looked back. And here is the final point: they only import to the U.S. 350 XFR's compared to 2500 XKR's per year. The XFR is much more exclusive.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

XKR, make the sacrice, bite the bullet! You'll be driving along in the XFR and see an XKR and WISH you would have listened me...I'm just saying

Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cigar Guy
XKR, make the sacrice, bite the bullet! You'll be driving along in the XFR and see an XKR and WISH you would have listened me...I'm just saying
You're killing me!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

In all honsety, I faced the same dilema, but between an XK and an XJ, both great cars IMO, but the XK is just pure unadulterated sex and dayum fun to drive. I even drove an XF loaner while the XK was getting new rubber on all 4 corners. The XF drove like a dream, but I told myself if I got the XJ for the sake of having a back seat, I'd always still want the XK...

Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
... And here is the final point: they only import to the U.S. 350 XFR's compared to 2500 XKR's per year. The XFR is much more exclusive.
Good point. Not many XFRs have I seen around here, though this evening on the way home I saw a black one parked. A few weeks ago I had to do a double-take seeing another Kyanite Blue one also parked. In the same period I've seen zero XKRs. Not nearly statistically significant, but people are voting with their wallets and choosing the XFR.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I could never make such a decision, so I'll just keep my mouth shut and watch what you do.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 AM

I'm trying to be a good mother and consider my poor son's crunched knees in an XKR in a couple of years. Every rational part of me says the XFR is the way to go...but there is that small niggling part of me that whispers in the night..."XKR~~!!"

How ridiculous would it be for my husband and I to have to drive separate cars when the three of us need to go somewhere?

...of course a race between his 911 and my XKR could make getting to our destination interesting.

Hmmm....

Old 08-11-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by sandydlc
I'm trying to be a good mother and consider my poor son's crunched knees in an XKR in a couple of years. Every rational part of me says the XFR is the way to go...but there is that small niggling part of me that whispers in the night..."XKR~~!!"

How ridiculous would it be for my husband and I to have to drive separate cars when the three of us need to go somewhere?

...of course a race between his 911 and my XKR could make getting to our destination interesting.

Hmmm....
Yes it would be ridiculous. Get the XFR! It's faster than nearly all Porsches and any Ferrari less than an F430!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Sandy, No ONE can ride in the back seat of an XKR unless they have no legs and are pencil thin. They are not for people and my dogs don't even fit in them.

An XKR is a two seater with a seat in the back for your purse, a small cooler and some shopping bags.

If you want to accommodate your family do not buy and XKR. They are strictly a
beautiful car for two people. And they are attention getters as you may read in another thread (XKR).

Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came out of a beautiful Corvette Z06, Red, fast, loud. That car got lots of notice. I bought a red XFR and added some chrome pieces to it. I can tell you that I get WAY WAY WAY more looks and wows from people then I ever did with teh Vette. As beautiful as the XKR is, in my opinion the XFR is its equal. Its fast and comfotable and flatout beautiful. You would not be disapointed.

Name:  DSCF0013.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0009.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0016.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  84.6 KB

Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 PM

ToddsXFR - that is a gorgeous car!! My husband and I chatted about it again last night and when it comes down to it, the XKR is really just a bit out of our budget anyway and the XK would be underpowered compared to my current Audi.

It's the XFR for me and now I just need to find a good time for us to go and visit the dealer and negotiate the fine print. I hope to be able to get them to negotiate on the price even if I place an order.

Anyone have any success in working with a broker?

Quick Reply: XFR vs XKR - which to choose?