XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 2014 Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF 2014 Woes

Hi guys,

Just joined the forums.

Purchased a XF 14 2.0T in May this year and as much as I love driving it - it unfortunately has been to the shop more times then I like it to be. Below were the reasons for my visits

Visit 1: Rattling on steering wheel and doors. Doors fixed with a silicion spray/gel. Steering wheel had a loose cable.

Visit 2: Air-conditioning was releasing a burnt rubber smell from the panels on the left of the dashboard. Dealer said that Jag International said the entire evaporator has to be changed.

Visit 3: Air-con auto turn out vent thing got stuck on one of my vents on the dash. Had it fixed, said it was a mechanical thing.

Visit 4: Steering vibration when driving. Fixed via realignment of the wheels.

Visit 5: Airbag lights lit up halfway driving. Now back in the dealer.

Did i just get a bad egg? And is there anything i can do?

Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to here about your issues with the new car. Hopefully these are not indicative of your future experience. I have only had one or two minor issues over 29 months of ownership. Maybe your dealer can go over the car again. Keep us posted.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the visit 4 problem on my 2013. They rotated the tires, but it came back the next time they rotated the tires. On the 3rd visit for this they found the tires were defective, but not covered even though I had the add-on tire hazard warranty. I wound up buying new BF Goodrich tires and paying for an alignment to correct the problem.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Any Mfg can have a problem car. I have found the Jaguar will find the issues and repair them without any repercussions. When solved, everything is super great!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picking up my car tomorrow. Apparently was a fault with the clock spring. Any idea how i could have damaged it, or just pure bad luck.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

You can't damage the clock spring unless you opened it up. Luck of the draw!

Old 10-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Hopefully it is just an unlucky set of issues that sometimes needs to be sorted out on new cars. My XF has been relatively trouble free (save a bad trunk wiring harness) since we purchased it. You got plenty of warranty left and, perhaps, some patience. If problems persist you can always ask for a buyback but, hopefully, that will not be necessary. Good luck with the car.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the airbag light issue also.
They and to replace a clock spring.
About 2 years in 2012 jaguar xf.
I've also had the shift knob not come up. Which I still get when it gets cold.

Lately I've been having trouble with the Bluetooth phone not connecting.

Not too bad but far from flawless.
I hope you just had a few issues and it gets better.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I had a series of issues with my 2008 XF when I bought it new. There were a couple of recalls - seat belts, fuel filler cap, I also had a squeaky roof lining and noisy sunroof seals which needed multiple fixes. It was back to Jag maybe 6 times in the first 2 years. But then I had another 2 1/2 years absolutely trouble free. My second XF (2012) had no issues at all, save when I had the baffle put into the fuel tank.

Just persevere, it should sort itself out.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 314 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
save when I had the baffle put into the fuel tank.
Can you tell me more about this baffle? One of my Jags is difficult to fill with gas.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Gooday. It didn't make it harder to fill, what happened was that when you were driving then would stop, there'd be a little lurch and a thump. Like you had a big watermelon rolling around in the boot. Anyway, I didn't know what it was, I thought it might be the brakes or the transmission. It ended up being the fuel sloshing around in the tank, apparently. What Jag do to fix it is to pop a foam baffle in the tank, I think. Anyway it was a quick free fix.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

There was an issue early on with some of the XF cars making them harder to fill - and I read something about a TSB or fix for it. Not sure if it's related but my 2010 XF SC had its fuel tank replaced early on (before I owned it). Search the threads - I think I read about it here somewhere.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jaguar is made in the UK and to perfectly honest the "labor" force are not as quality oriented as other nations. This is the reason Jaguar has never had a quality good reputation ! They like to clock in do the "union" lazy thing and clock out. Other forum members can disagree but Ive worked in a factory and actually know people who work in jag factories. I still love the car or I would not have one. I have also never really had any issues on three jags ..,.but i notice that when someone gets a bad one it is probably the last one of the assembly line on a Friday ! getting to the pub is more important.

Last edited by bollocsk187; 11-08-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by bollocsk187
Jaguar is made in the UK and to perfectly honest the "labor" force are not as quality oriented as other nations. This is the reason Jaguar has never had a quality good reputation ! They like to clock in do the "union" lazy thing and clock out. Other forum members can disagree but Ive worked in a factory and actually know people who work in jag factories. I still love the car or I would not have one. I have also never really had any issues on three jags ..,.but i notice that when someone gets a bad one it is probably the last one of the assembly line on a Friday ! getting to the pub is more important.
Have you actually been inside the Castle Bromwich assembly plant?

This outdated view of British labour is incorrect.

QA is top notch.

A very significant portion of assembly is done by robots who do not visit pubs.

Every Jaguar is carefully examined by hand and eye for quality of bodywork and finished paint.

The JD Power results show this is working.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bollocsk187
It's so nice when we can get such well researched, impartial and accurate analyses like this. I look forward to hearing your valuable opinions on other countries, too.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
Have you actually been inside the Castle Bromwich assembly plant?

This outdated view of British labour is incorrect.

QA is top notch.

A very significant portion of assembly is done by robots who do not visit pubs.

Every Jaguar is carefully examined by hand and eye for quality of bodywork and finished paint.

The JD Power results show this is working.

Jagular, I am outdated for sure. Yep it is the "humans" that turn on and calibrate and manipulate the robots plus the people inspection. The fact is that the Brits are not that good at manufacturing. So you are quoting JD Powers well show me the facts not "sales satisfaction experience"

Old 11-15-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by sybarite
It's so nice when we can get such well researched, impartial and accurate analyses like this. I look forward to hearing your valuable opinions on other countries, too.
Which other country would you like ?. Born and Educated in England and worked in manufacturing - I am outdated perhaps, but national cultures and people pretty much stay the same in a life time. I grew up watching Jags and loving the car and then seeing the destruction of the brand - it left a scar to see a great British brand being destroyed by non other than Union labor workers. The P&L speaks for itself that is why it is foreign owned - union labor and therefore the past quality is the root cause ! That is why the Jag has still the stigma of quality problems. Every time a new person finds a problem.......it has a ten fold negative impact.... because of the past. You cannot run away from your past sins, you can only excel and beat the competition year after year. Jag is still not there yet.

So to your snark remark, I got "real world experience" of Jag, not looking at some ratings.

Last edited by bollocsk187; 11-15-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default XF Issues

Hi,

I bought a 2012 XF 5.0 with 10,000 miles as a CPO from a Jaguar dealer. I now own the car for a little past a year but during the first six months I had the following issues;

1) 2 adaptive headlight assembly replacements due to error messages I received
2) one window regulator replaced due to noisy operation
3) gas tank replacement due to incorrect gas level registering after filling up.

During the last six months I have had zero issues at all. Not one rattle. squeak, vibration, etc.. The car is a joy to drive. I now have 19,000 miles and hope that all of the bugs on my car have been resolved.

I have also owned Audi's and BMW's and have had numerous issues with each of those brands so I can't say that Jaguar is any worse than other luxury manufacturers.