XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF reliability

Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF reliability

I am seriously considering purchasing the 2012 XF and I love the look and ride of this car however, I have read much bad press about the quality/relaibaility of the XF. I would greatly appreciate getting comments form current XF owners about the relaibility of there cars.
Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Things I've had to deal with:
1. Shifter stuck in park - recall replaced shifter assembly and haven't had an issue since. I was never stranded due to the issue so it wasn't a huge deal for me.
2. Automatic lights have issues when it's not dark enough to stay on but not light enough to turn off. They flash on and off which pisses me off so I turn them on manually every time. Dealer never notices it and I was sick of complaining about it.
3. Battery drain due to electronics not shutting off - software was flashed and the issue went away.
4. Driver's side wiper squirter stop spraying - I haven't cared enough to bring it in but I will soon.
5. Bluetooth refuses to work after my phone software was updated - This is a common problem so if bluetooth is important to you try pairing your car to an XF and drive around to make sure it stays paired and works the way you want it to work.

That's about it. It isn't a perfect car but it isn't horrible either. Mine is an earlier model so it should have more issues than the 2012. I still love the car though and I'd buy it over again if I had the chance. I've never had as many compliments on a car as I have with this one. I love the performance and looks of the car.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 10-19-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have around 6000 miles on my '11 XFR now. Besides 2 flat tires (nails!) which could have done-in any car, the only issues so far are (a) driver's window auto one-touch feature malfunction, though window could be raised/lowered by holding switch (replaced module and motor); (b) creaking sound in sunroof (replaced seal). That's it. Obviously one car does not make for a sufficent sampling size, but I hope this helps your decision.

Update: I forgot to add that the fuel filler grommet came undone, making the filler neck a bit loose and it difficult to refuel the car, as the pump would keep clicking off. Turns out there is an upgraded part.

Last edited by Need4Spd; 10-20-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: To provide update.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Thank you very much for your comments and your recommendation!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got 34K miles on my 2009 and the only initial problem was a restricted highway software error in the navigation system that was cured by a patch in a later version of the nav disks. Just recently, a mirror motor started to go bad and the fuel door started sticking. The dealer cured both with no problem. Rear brake pads were replaced at about 32K miles along with the rear tires. Otherwise, nothing else has gone wrong.
The only complaint that I have with the car is the capacitive touch switch for the glove compartment that is difficult to activate. Jag did away with it the following year. I cured the auto headlight on-off problem by having the car programmed for the canadian daylight running lights so that they, along with all the other night time running lights, are on all the time the car is operating. Had the same problem (and cure) with all the S-Types I owned. Can't comment about the nav system voice commands or the bluetooth stuff because I don't use them.

The following users liked this post:
royster (10-21-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Purchased new 2011 Xf Premium May 2011, 21,000 miles....NO problems.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just under 1 month ago I was where you are now so I feel your hesitation.

After doing quite a bit of research I came to the conclusion that the 2009 XF, like many first-year autos, had some minor issues (shifter malfunctions, fuel filler door release problems, faulty window regulators and rear differential issues to name some of the more common problems). But, Jaguar seems to have addressed all of these with the 2010 and later models. Even with the 2009's, there are a great number of XF owners who experienced none of the reported problems.

To be honest, the 2nd day after purchasing my new 2011 XF SC, a warning light came on telling me to check that the fuel cap was tight. It was. A trip to the dealer was required to get the real (minor) problem fixed which required leaving the car for 2 days until the part came in. I was understandably nervous but it's been running great since.

That being said, I LOVE this car. It is unlike any other car that I've ever owned. The luxury, the performance, and the sheer beauty of it are just awesome. Every day that I drive it I love it that much more. And, my wife feels exactly the same way.

If you don't get an XF, what's the alternative that you're considering?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:44 PM

My other considerations for a car are the Mercedes E class or BMW 535. I wil be purchasing the car so reliability is important. Thanks very much for your comments!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyu
My other considerations for a car are the Mercedes E class or BMW 535. I wil be purchasing the car so reliability is important. Thanks very much for your comments!
FWIW, having owned BMWs (and still having one currently) and having friends with Mercedes, it seems (so far) that my XFR is at least as reliable if not more so than those cars. When my M5 was new, I had a few issues as well. All minor and sorted out under warranty, like the Jag. I don't think the Jag is MORE reliable, but easily on par with those other two, so reliability shouldn't be a worry. Get the car you like best and that serves your needs. IMHO, however, the XF/XFR has benefits over its competitors. At least in my case, I think the XFR is at least as fast and handles as well as the comparable (e60) M5, but is way more comfortable. Same is true re Jag over E63 AMG.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

We have a member mkaresh , he's also collecting car reliability data from owners .So, you can check in his site as well

Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 AM

I've had my 09 XF around 4 months now. I love it, I'm in it every day, and every day it’s never lost its new car feel. I've had half a dozen comments on its looks, which are always nice.

Now a small but.....
I've had a couple of issues of late, not alarming issues but still some which are a pain.
The selector, when moved to Drive has come up with a couple of errors (luckily whilst in my drive). But a "reboot" resolved them (powering off and locking the car, then getting in again lol). I have no idea why it did this, although when picking it up from the dealers yesterday there was a plastic cover on the top, and I can’t help thinking that it’s been replaced. I only noticed it when half way home, but I might ask the dealer as its not noted in the service notes.

Another small issue (sic) was breaking down on the motorway last week. All of a sudden a warning appeared "Restricted performance". Pulled over to the 1st lane, but there was no power at all under the accelerator, then pulled over and stopped and the car simply shut down!

Jag assist (AA) were fast and really good. After the first one arrived and couldn’t get the car into neutral, a second AA guy arrived (found out he used to work for a Jag dealer - lucky me!) he popped the cover near the arm rest and did the manual handbrake job.
Anyway, turns out I had run out of fuel, oh dear how stupid did I feel??
There was no low fuel warning, the sat nav never stated I didn’t have enough fuel to complete the journey, and the gauge showed 85 miles (I've had it a lot lower).
After 20 Ltrs of diesel, a battery charge (If you ever run out, you will drain your battery to get the diesel through it seems) I was back on my way.

Another thing the dealer looked at and turns out the fault code was something to do with the pressure being low.... Something I will be keeping my eye on!!
So a few niggles, is it worth it? OMG too right!! The car is superb even with its recent childish behaviour. :-)

Old 10-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Last night on the way home from work the car popped a light on me that said "restricted performance". It's never happened before. I cleared the message on the nav screen but it had a exclamation point on the dash in a triangle still. I flipped it from "D" to "S" and then back and it went away. Car still felt like it had a 4 cylinder in it though. Dealer said to turn the car off and restart it and that did fix it. It is a little frustrating as it seems there could have been some better software engineers working on the car during development (I write test software ). Odd that it happened right after I posted above. I jinxed myself. :/

Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM

I explained the issue on Monday when it went in for a service and some other stuff, they did update some software in the Jag although I dont know what. I think I'll try your approach if it happens again (hopefully not!). I QA for a software company I've deff founds bugs with the Sat Nav, which they also updated

Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 PM

Thanks again. This forum is great. I look forward to posting my impression once I get my car.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

i've had my '09 for rough 16 months and 9k miles. Issues I've had:

1. Stuck gear selector replaced
2. Faulty instrument cluster replaced - not lighting properly
3. Expansion tank replaced - getting low coolant warning although coolant was as proper level
4. both tail lights replaced - blown LEDs
5. couple of the rotating vents replaced - sticking
6. rattle in headliner fixed multiple times
7. rattle in door fixed multiple times
8. overhead console replaced - sunroof switch not working

Think that's it.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

3200 miles 2011 XFR - No problems.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry S
The only complaint that I have with the car is the capacitive touch switch for the glove compartment that is difficult to activate.
You have to point straigt at it, not with the flat of your finger or swiping or etc. This is because there are sensors on the sides to prevent it opening if a knee is against it or similar.

The following users liked this post:
Jerry S (11-04-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Journalists called it a swipe switch but it isn't. It is a touch switch. Newer XF went to a standard switch because so many owners failed to grasp this difference. Just touch the roundel and the glove box will open. Do anything else and the switch ignores you.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I was impressed when I first saw it . Same goes for the map lights as well. You pitch up your fingers and the lights will go on .What a fancy stuff

Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM

2012 XF S/C. 700miles and no issues. I love this car!!! Gas mileage is not the best but when you have 470HP what do expect. Highly recommend it. Definitely a head turner!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XF reliability