XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Front Turn Signal Bulb replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Front Turn Signal Bulb replacement?

Hi Guys

It's been a while since I have been here, So I have a question I need help with.
I need to replace a blown front RH amber turn signal bulb but the problem is I have forgotten how to access the Assembly. Can I pull it from the front?
Any suggestions. I have to access the assembly to replace the bulb.

I have the XJ300 1997 not the XJ 308
Thanks in advance
BBR in Dallas

Old 12-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, I have changed a front indicator bulb, by simply reaching up behind the lamp and giving the bulb holder a twist and pull, but if you want to remove the lamp holder assembly, it will unclip easily enough.

Just insert a flat blade, like a standard dinner knife, into the space between the fender and lamp holder on the inner side, that is, nearest the grill. This will depress the plastic tang, allowing you to withdraw the assembly as the tang on the outer side is fixed, more of a tab I suppose.

Pull the assembly outwards at the knife end, using the knife for encouragement and refitting is the reverse, fitting the outer side in first.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Thanks for that insight......... I should have remembered that........... I'll give it a try today.......... So how are things in Kerry theses days........ well wishing you a merry Christmas.......... I'll report back to you.....
BigbossRadio in Dallas TX

Old 12-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigBossRadio

Thanks for that insight......... I should have remembered that........... I'll give it a try today.......... So how are things in Kerry theses days........ well wishing you a merry Christmas.......... I'll report back to you.....
BigbossRadio in Dallas TX
Things are great in Kerry, mild weather, although a bit damp and I'm spending much of my free time in the shed, restoring a small cabin cruiser.

Hope the lamp works out and Season's Greetings to you and yours also.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Default Front RH Turn Signal Replacement

Hi
well I managed to pop the lens out to day......... It can only be accessed from the front because of the metal bumper/fender blocks access from behind. That been said I removed the bulb holder from the housing. It is retained with a screw. I then checked the bulbs. Only one flashed. the 2nd was not working. I swapped the bulbs over by reversing them, and found the changed bulb did not work. So the problem is not a "Blown Bulb" but some other electrial fault.... So if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from you......... I did check the wiring and everything seemed to be fine..........

Thanks in advance
BigBossDallas

Old 12-22-2014, 05:28 PM

There are two (I think) connector blocks up inside the fender, around about the same level as the indicator. These will often become gunked up and it's well worth opening them up and cleaning them. They pick up an awful lot of road dirt and mud etc.

Might be worth a look see?

The following users liked this post:
BigBossRadio (12-26-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:21 PM

THANKS FOR THAT I will check that out tomorrow.............. It was beautiful here today till the clouds rolled up from Mexico.......... and the sun went down.................... Now its cold again....................... Reminds me of when I was a child In the back seat of my dad's car driving from waterford to Abbeyfeale....... in west Limerick to visit my grandmother............ Damm those were the days............. Thanks for the insight........ Nollig Sonagh Guit.................... Well the spelling may not be right but you get the idea.........

Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Smile Wiring harness?

Originally Posted by BigBossRadio
Hi
well I managed to pop the lens out to day......... It can only be accessed from the front because of the metal bumper/fender blocks access from behind. That been said I removed the bulb holder from the housing. It is retained with a screw. I then checked the bulbs. Only one flashed. the 2nd was not working. I swapped the bulbs over by reversing them, and found the changed bulb did not work. So the problem is not a "Blown Bulb" but some other electrial fault.... So if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from you......... I did check the wiring and everything seemed to be fine..........

Thanks in advance
BigBossDallas
A couple of years ago, I was having blinker problems on both sides and ended up having the wiring harness's replaced in the left and right front bumpers. I think everything is accessible if you take off the front gravel guard, you know the piece that always breaks

Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Default Front Turn signal/Indicator Problem

Thanks for that insight............ I will take a look at that over the weekend.......... .......... I did check the bulbs in the offending RH "Turn Signal/Indicator" While only one of the two bulbs flashes I did check each bulb and both are good. It's just that only one of the two flashes......... thus leading to "Rapid Flashing" of the RH Turn Signal............. The problem is annoying and I need to correct it........... I may need to take off the front fender (which I have done before in the past to make repairs) and take a closer look at the wiring............

So if anyone has any bright ideas I'd love to hear them..
Thanks eyeryone and a "Happy New Year" to Y'all