Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ X300 / XJR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ X300 / XJR 1995-1997

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
myawitz

Default frozen radio

1996 vanden plas, jaguar radio 'froze'. won't turn off/change stations/change audio..stuck!
Had it serviced no problem found, bought a new identical year/jaguar radio, same problem.
Someone suggested it needs a 'code'? cause it thinks it's being stolen? Any thoughts? thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Default RE: frozen radio

Try the 'reboot' method. Disconnect the + battery cable for about 5 minutes. Touch the + cable to the negative terminal for just a second before reattaching it to the battery. Reattach the + cable to the battery. This will reset anything that has memory, so any memory dependant functions must be reset. This got my neighbor's radio working again.

2011 Nissan LEAF (Cayenne Red/Light Grey)
2004 Jaguar XJ8 (Seafrost/Sand) (Sold 10/17/12)
2001 Jaguar XKR Conv (Platinum/Oatmeal) (Sold 10/10/12)
Old 10-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Photobucket

Thanked 1,105 Times in 779 Posts
BILL BRUTON

ITS A COMMON PROBLEM, AND JAGUAR NO LONGER SUPPLIES REMANS FOR THIS ONE, EVEN LATER MODELS ARE HARDER TO FIND. i JUST REPLACED MY WIFES ENTIRE SYSTEM, SPEAKERS AND HEADUNIT FROM CRUTCHFIELD, WORKS GREAT AND HAVE IPOD, AND SAT NOW TOO
Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 AM
myawitz

It seems really strange to me that 2 identical radios would have the exact same 'frozen' problem. I believe I have the 'code' from Jaguar but the radio doesn't ask for a code. Antenna goes up and down when I turn the ignition on and off, but as I said the radio just 'freezes' usually on, and you can't change anything, volume, station, etc. There must be something in the car, not in the (2!) radios causing this!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
zonar

Default Frozen Radio 1997 XJ6

Sorry to see no one has resolved this - although it does give some pressure to replace the system. I have been having the same problem on my 1997 XJ6, with the radio locking up for periods of time then becoming usable again. I have not been able to correlate its behavior with anything.

I will try the battery disconnect procedure - although this was done once before and it lasted three months or so before the problem came back.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Default Re; Reboot

I have used the "reboot" procedure in the past on my 1990 BMW 735, but have left the terminal leads connected together for up to half an hour or longer. It usually tends to remove any "bad" memories and one of the more noticeable improvements is that of a smoother gear change in automatics. It's a procedure that sometimes has to be repeated, as the management system tends to "remember" the cars old bad habits again after a while. Costs nothing and worth a look see. On the issue of a frozen radio, I also have this problem on my recently purchased 1997 x300, only that it's frozen off. Dead as a dodo, although it has power and an earth, as does the antenna. I keep reading about a (brown) radio relay, but despite numerous searches cant locate it. Some posts suggest that it lurks behind the glove box, others mention behind the drivers kick panel at the right side of the steering wheel. I have searched both but to no avail, so, does anybody, pleeeeeaaasseeeeeee have a clear, exact location for this mystery item? many thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Michael McMahill

My 96 vanden plas radio is frozen also?? Did anyone come up with a possible diagnosis?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM

You can go to the dealer with title of owned car and receipt for used radio and radio model and serial #s then they should be able to give you that radio's code. Blank screen does need code on the modern secured radios.
past owns: 73 XJ6L series 1,
79 XJ6L series II, 86 XJS V-12
53 XK 120 Roadster
57 XK 140 MC Coupe
64 Mark II 4-speed
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,759 Posts

Except USA-market "X300" Jags. No codes used on those :-)

Cheers
DD
1988 Ser III VDP V12
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Tags
1988, 1996, change, channels, code, frozen, jaguar, radio, stuck, turn, work, working, x300, xj6, xj8, xtype