XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Head's up on X300 coils

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I have been reading this thread as someone suggested and after reading 7 pages I'm still just lost, too much information about too many different brands that I've never heard of...

So let me just ask outright, where do I get a set of the good ones at a reasonable price?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Let Japthug (previous page) know you're interested. He has a line on the good ones. He'll put your name on the list.

You might also contact SNG Barratt in the event they have been able to locate the good ones. They had some at one time .....but sold out and apparently couldn't get any more stock.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I just had my set of 6 delivered yesterday from Japthug.

Very efficient service and THE right parts at a good price. I recommend.

(Sounds like ebay feedback!)

Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Received 6 coils from Japthug yesterday, despite the best efforts of Canada Customs ....replaced all on my 97 VDP (135000 km) right away. I had only one that was causing an intermittent misfire and a DTC, 4 Lucas originals and 2 replacements ....but it turned out to be a good move. Running really smooth now and back to full performance ....maybe more than one was failing!
Incidentally, my new Innova 3100 reader was very accurate in pinpointing the offending cylinder, and a quick swap of coils confirmed the culprit. The wealth of information provided on the Jaguar forums certainly helped me with the diagnosis.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fazakerly:
hailcesarz (08-07-2014), IvysMommy (01-08-2020)
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2000-2006 Lincoln LS coils in my 1996 Vanden Plas

2000-2006 Lincoln LS coils in my 1996 Vanen Plas
The LS coils can be bought on EBAY as cheap as $51.00 for 8 coils. I paid $8.50 for each coil. Just break off the mounting tabs like I did. It's very easy. I didn't like the way the electrical connectors fit. Even though you can make them fit by turning them upside down. There was too much cracking and crunching for my taste.
I went to the local "Pick A Part" scrap yard and cut the connectors off a 1999 Lincoln Continental. You can find them on so many Ford and Lincoln Vehicles from 1999 to present. Pretty much any of them with coil packs. Just cut your connectors off and splice them in. Don't be afraid to cut and splice. It's not rocket science. There was no charge for the connectors at the "Pick A Part" scrap yard.
I am extremely lucky that I read about bad coils before I spent money on other things like fuel filters and pumps,ECU issues,TPS and transmission diagnosis. I put these cheap coils in my Jag and she has been purring along ever since.
Before I replaced my bad coil packs my car was acting absolutely crazy. Idling high,low shutting off at any given moment,dash lights flashing like a Christmas tree, transmission limp mode light coming and going. The new coils solved all those issues. My car has been running perfect for 23,000 miles. If it acts up again I'm going to just replace all the coils before I do anything else.
The 2000-2006 Lincoln LS Coils are the ones from the V8 engine. Not the V6 engine.
I LOVE MY LITTLE KITTEN AGAIN. I MIGHT PROPOSE.
Attached Thumbnails

The following 2 users liked this post by uslow:
EZDriver (05-15-2015), marke (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 PM

After installing my new coils from Japthug (post 144) I examined the Lucas originals; although the boots were all brittle with some cracks there was no obvious arcing and all had a resistance of around 1ohm.
However they all had hairline cracking in the same location which is highlighted with chalk in the image.

The failed coil also had similar cracking 180 degrees away.
So my CAN$500 investment for the six replacements appears timely ...and after all I wouldn't repair the Venus de Milo with Spackle!!

Last edited by Fazakerly; 08-21-2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Image didn't post
Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 AM

Going a little crazy trying to upload image of coil cracking. Think I've got it now. Sort of!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I am a big fan of Japthug.

Ordered my coils from him on Wednesday, received it on Saturday! (I did pay an additional shipping charge for "four day delivery". Make sure to ask...it was well worth my while.

The following users liked this post:
Japthug (08-23-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Old 08-31-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I am sorry, some people have asked me about the stock but I don't have any for now.
I have already ordered another 40 coils, as soon as they come in stock I will let you know from here.
Apologies for the inconvenience.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (08-31-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Aaagh... Both Diamond Electronics and TRW(distributor) are not responsive, it may take 2-3 more weeks for mw to get coils in. The wholeseller is also in trouble with contacting with them.
I am really sorry for the delay, I will keep it posted here.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I took uslow's advice and ordered up the Lincoln LS coils for my XJ6 since I was having minor misfire issues while stopped. I was able to get a set of 8 from Amazon for about $63 and for $6 delivered to my door by 9pm the same say I couldn't pass it up.

This morning I installed 3 coils and car started up and idled without any issues. Make sure they are in there snug (I lightly smacked one into place with my hand to get it to sit correctly) or else the spark will arch against the wall and cause it to misfire slightly. As for the connectors, I didn't bother looking for original LS connectors, I just took his advice and flipped them around. They do need some force to get the connectors on but I just pushed the coil against the valve cover and hoped I didn't break anything. Drove the car 40 miles without any issues so far. I think tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and switch out the remaining 3 and see if the car runs a little better.

I'll keep you guys updated but so far these coils seem to work just as good as brand new originals for a fraction of the price.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I'll keep you guys updated but so far these coils seem to work just as good as brand new originals for a fraction of the price.

Thanks for the info and, yes, keep us posted.

IMHO, the issue is not 'how well do they work?" but, rather, 'how long will they last?" although, at less than $10 each, a person could buy a a lifetime supply for peanuts !

Cheers
DD

Old 09-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Thanks for the info and, yes, keep us posted.

IMHO, the issue is not 'how well do they work?" but, rather, 'how long will they last?" although, at less than $10 each, a person could buy a a lifetime supply for peanuts !

Cheers
DD
I feel the same way. Now I'm thinking if any other type of coil would work as long as we can retrofit them to fit the spark plug and also the connector.

Does anyone know exactly what's inside these coils? Or is it just their physical design to fit?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Still a bit concerned that:

1) These new coils don't seem to be secured by anything other than friction, gravity and the coil vanity/weather cover.

2) These new coils protrude a lot higher than the correct units, and thus the weather cover will not keep water out and from filling the coil/plug depressions.

I wonder if one could install outboard coil packs and run plug wires? My 95 Riviera has individual coils for each plug, but they are in a cluster/pack away from the engine.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 PM

First update:
this morning I replaced the remaining 3 original coils with these new Lincoln LS coils and took a rubber mallet and lightly tapped each coil to fit snuggly.
XJ6 starts up fine, idles fine, drivers fine. On my way to work this morning, I noticed minor, VERY MINOR misfires while cruising at 75mph on the freeway. Not sure if it's my imagination or the contact pins on the coils aren't making good contact. Will see if it happens again on the way home tonight.

I did get a check engine light to come on but unfortunately my scan gauge is in the XJR so I won't be able to pull the codes until later tonight when I get home or tomorrow morning. I'm guessing it's related to the new coils and I'm hoping I can just reset whatever codes there are and they don't come back and hopefully the MINOR misfire I think I feel isn't a big issue.

Only time will tell how these coils hold up.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 AM

Another update, I pulled the check engine codes and they were
P1447, P1176, P0302

The P0302 code I'm going to disregard unless it comes back since I didn't have the second cylinder coil pushed all the way in
but as for the other two, I wonder if the spark is hotter with these coils causing the too lean code?

I've reset the codes for now, I'll see if they come back tomorrow during my commute

Old 09-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so from my reading I think xj6 needs some new coils. While I like the experiment with the LS coils for price and quality reasons I'm not ready to try them myself on a car I need to be reliable. Hopefully the coils I bought on Amazon will last me awhile. I use this car daily from April thru October. Maybe with that limited mileage the coils will last longer for me.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Which ones did you buy from Amazon?

It's unlikely that any of them will last you a year. I believe this thread had someone try the Wells brand with not-so-great results.

In any case, please keep us informed in case we are mistaken. This forum is always interested in experiences with coils, especially if it's a good experience.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Another update on the LS coils

As I said in my previous update, I got a check engine light after about 60 miles of running all 6 coils. That night after I got home I reset the codes and left my scan gauge plugged in so I can monitor the long fuel trims. At first it was registering at 10.7 which is a little on the lean side but still within the +/-25 threshold. I reset the battery and the fuel trim registered at 6.4 which showed that the ECU was doing it's job. It's been about 4 days since I reset the codes and battery and the still the check engine light hasn't come back and there are no pending codes. Also long fuel trim is stable at 7.18

Looks like so far, all that's needed after installing all 6 coils is to reset the ECU to adjust to them. I'll keep you guys updated if anything changes but so far so good

I just need to figure out how to install the cover to keep dirt/water out of the spark plug wells also

Quick Reply: Head's up on X300 coils