XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Heated Seats....Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Heated Seats....Help?

Fisrt things first, I'm slowly coming round to the conclusion my car was not fitted with heated seats at first build:

However, at some point a previous owner maybe effected a clock-fix by fitting the heated seat version of the clock panel. So I get the light, and I hear a relay click, but I have no blankets - at least on the driver's side. Driver's side - relay click sounds like it is somewhere behind the dash, while on the pax side, it is in the seat memory module. On the driver's seat, I have only two open plugs, a yellow under the seat cushon mounted to the frame, and a gray, also mounted to the seat frame behind the squab cover. Both are 2-pin with fairly heavy-guage wire:

I have checked the yellow connectors on both sides (Driver's and pax) with a meter and neither get power when the seat-heater is switched on. I have also checked the gray plug on the driver's side with the same result. The electrical guide has been scant help only listing seat-heater relays for "Non-us spec, non memory seat" cars. Apparently, the heater function is handled in the US spec cars by the memory module.

I know several of you have replaced the heater-blankets to repair your heated seats. Did anyone snap a pic of where they plug in? Or remember the location and type plug? I'd just be surprised if that circuit weren't already living in there somewhere, seeing as how everything else seems to work. If so, I'll fit an aftermarket blanket, if not, I'll put it all back together when I get my repaired cover back...it is TX after all, and they are hardly a necessity.

Attached Thumbnails Heated Seats....Help?-img_20130829_212012_zpsba7d1515.jpg   Heated Seats....Help?-img_20130902_121935_zpse1d2aa4c.jpg   Heated Seats....Help?-img_20130902_122153_zpsf221c4aa.jpg   Heated Seats....Help?-img_20130902_121916_zps0d61ee45.jpg   Heated Seats....Help?-img_20130902_122116_zps3561f10c.jpg  

Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has the same unused plugs under the seat, and didn't come with seat heaters. I also have a used clock with the seat heater buttons I got off of ebay to put in the car when I send mine in for repair.

So your post interests me, it would be nice if I could plug and play install heated seats in my car.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Curious if you get the Red lights in the buttons and the relay clicks when you turn them on?

As far as Plug-n-play....stripping the hides off the seats is far more of a (bitter ex-wife) than running a wire from those buttons to the under seat area would be....not something I'd undertake were it not otherwise necessary due to a hole worn in the bolster...but then, I suppose it gets a bit colder there in winter than it does here...

For the same reason, I'm inclined to go ahead and install the blankets as I already have the skins off...and maybe hook them to power later......

Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Curious if you get the Red lights in the buttons and the relay clicks when you turn them on?

As far as Plug-n-play....stripping the hides off the seats is far more of a (bitter ex-wife) than running a wire from those buttons to the under seat area would be....not something I'd undertake were it not otherwise necessary due to a hole worn in the bolster...but then, I suppose it gets a bit colder there in winter than it does here...

For the same reason, I'm inclined to go ahead and install the blankets as I already have the skins off...and maybe hook them to power later......
I haven't installed the other clock I got yet. I was waiting till I send my clock in for repairs. As for taking the seats apart to put the blankets in I would probably just try and find another set of seats in better condition then mine that already have the heaters in them.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I decided to go ahead and stick the blankets in there when I rebuilt the driver's seat:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lstery-101125/
Maybe one fine day I'll find the circuits coming from the dash switch and make it work. Didn't want to have to skin that seat again, though!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

That would be really great when you can get them able to work!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Default Hang on, I'll have to revisit this one..

Popped the X300 disc in this afternoon thinking, "Information on seat wiring can't possibly be as sparse as it appears..." and as I was perusing 15Electrical.pdf, lo and behold, my eye caught on the following:
Note: "Fault conditions and their causes displayed by instruments and warning lamps are covered in more detail by further information contained within the "Electrical Diagnostic Manual."
I toggled back to "FLASH" and sho'nuff, the very next door neighbor of "Vehicle Service Manuals" was "Electrical Diagnostic Manuals" clicked on it and brought up "INDEX" which told me heated seats were addressed in 15.4-17. Back to the FLASH menu box and hazard a guess on "ELECTRICAL" as nothing else seemed to fit, which opened 07ELECTRICAL.pdf and Bob's yer uncle, right there in living black and white...connector diagrams and pin-outs, test protocols, all the good stuff - now if I'd just found that while I still had the seat out.......ah well...think I'll pull it out again before it gets cold to do the headliner anyway, but I think there is enough there to get it sorted and put those new carbon-fiber blanky's to use. We'll see - btw, my car, sans heating blankets, passed all the tests except the seat actually heating up!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Nooo! The chair out again? *sigh* ! Luckily you have found some good new information and diagrams!
I have a feeling you are able to get this to work though! haha Goodluck!

Old 11-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

As reported in post #4 here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-seats-91665/
your feelings are borne out....