XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What is this?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default What is this?

Just doing some odds and ends today, when I noticed something on the air filter housing box. Underneath the box itself, is a plastic pipe, about 1" diameter and about 2" long, There is a yellow plastic blank fitted over the end of it, with nothing else attached. The pipe faces back towards the windscreen. Just wondered what it is, what it's for?

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
Just doing some odds and ends today, when I noticed something on the air filter housing box. Underneath the box itself, is a plastic pipe, about 1" diameter and about 2" long, There is a yellow plastic blank fitted over the end of it, with nothing else attached. The pipe faces back towards the windscreen. Just wondered what it is, what it's for?
Talking about this hose connection (right-side arrow)?

That leads to the air injection pump (left-side arrow)

Attached Thumbnails What is this?-whathose.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 PM

It's hard to say from that picture, but thanks for the reply. The pipe I'm talking about is very clearly visible from the drivers side wing/fender, (RHD) looking straight across the engine bay. Maybe a picture would have helped! I'll take one tomorrow and post it if needed.

As mentioned, there is nothing connected to this pipe, just a blank cap.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
It's hard to say from that picture, but thanks for the reply. The pipe I'm talking about is very clearly visible from the drivers side wing/fender, (RHD) looking straight across the engine bay. Maybe a picture would have helped! I'll take one tomorrow and post it if needed.

As mentioned, there is nothing connected to this pipe, just a blank cap.

Thanks again.
When I removed my air box to fit the K&N I also noticed the yellow blanking cap under the air box. Here is a photo of the box from underneath

Attached Thumbnails What is this?-2014-02-09-14.16.06.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 03:40 AM

That's the one, thanks. Maybe it's a "drain" or outlet of sorts? I'm not worried but quite curious! But then again, perhaps it IS for an air injection pump, which I don't seem to have.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

If water was to collect in the box, it will drain out the bottom through that port. Other cars just have a drain hole.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

As Caldercay pointed out, that fitting would connect to the air pump as fitted to USA models, as required by US emissions laws. Air pumps are not fitted to UK, NZ or AU models. I wonder if it was fitted to any other markets?

Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM

So, given my limited knowledge of the science involved in air intake physics, would it be of any value to put another air intake onto this "spare" pipe? Maybe a tube /hose arrangement with an aftermarket K&N air filter set up attached.

How would extra air affect performance and fuel consumption, if at all? Or would it be of any value to vent warm, recycled air into the system via this pipe? Or what about pumping it in, via a controlled electric pump, which is what I assume the American spec cars do?

Just wondering................

Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
As Caldercay pointed out, that fitting would connect to the air pump as fitted to USA models, as required by US emissions laws. Air pumps are not fitted to UK, NZ or AU models. I wonder if it was fitted to any other markets?
Well that air box I photographed is from an ex-Sinapore car so I guess that means in that market they are the same as UK then