XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Start

Hi I'm a new owner of a 1995 XJ6 with 97000 miles on it. I'm looking forward to driving the car as soon as I can get it started. When I turn the key everything works seats, dashboard, radio but the car will not start not even a click out of the starter not sure if its the battery of not Any Ideas out there.
Thanks

Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try jiggling the shifter (leaving it in park) while holding the key in the start position. If this doesn't work, try putting the shifter in neutral and trying to start the car while in neutral. The "linear switch" on these cars (which prevents starting the car when it is not in park or neutral) can be problematic. On my '95 XJR, I have to pull the shifter back slightly every so often to get the starter to engage. From what I've read, though, most people have to push the shifter forward (toward the clock) to get power to the starter.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Thanks I'll try that

Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Clue: if the "P" on the gearshift indicator isn't glowing red, the engine won't start. Adjusting the linear switch will solve the problem....if that's what it is.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The most obvious solutions are often overlooked.
I take it that you looked under the hood and found an engine sat there??
Hey, you never know.
Sorry, dude, I can't add anything other that has already been said.
Good luck with your car. Mine is just like it .... so long as yours is blue.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Ahhh, wait a minute.
I remember something that may help. There are a bunch of wires (sorry if this gets to technical for you) that go from the trunk/boot area into the back seat area of the car. It goes through up where the right hand hinge is situated (looking forward from the back of the car)
This bunch of wires can be problematic in that they stretch and crimp and get twisted out of shape. Now, one of these wires, don't ask me which one, has to do with the immobiliser such that, if it gets out of whack, it tells the car not to start. A quick fix is to open and shut the trunk lid.
Something to check is, when the car won't start, does the alarm fob work to lock or unlock the doors?
If not, the wires are your problem. Just open and shut the doors and try the fob every time, maybe jiggle the wires a tad.
If the fob starts working, the car should start.
Good luck.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 PM

Hi I'm owner of a 1997 XJ6 with 140000 miles on it. I'm looking forward to driving the car as soon as I can get it started. When I turn the key everything works seats, dashboard, radio but the car will not start not even a click out of the starter I am sure the battery is good

Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Default not start not even a click out of the starter

Hi I'm owner of a 1997 XJ6 with 140000 miles on it. I'm looking forward to driving the car as soon as I can get it started. When I turn the key everything works seats, dashboard, radio but the car will not start not even a click out of the starter I am sure the battery is good

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good battery not start

I just had the same problem with my 1995 XJ6 VDP. After replacing an old battery, my car would not start. The problem was the security system needed to be reset. To do this you just lock and unlock your car. As it turned out, my remote was not working either, but I was able to reset the system by using the key to lock the front door and after the beep of the security system, I unlocked the car and then it cranked! The AAA guy and I were very happy!!!

Happy Driving

Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

I had same problem when I bought my 1997 xj6 L, it was bad body processor unit. I had no power on the starter relay from computer.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM

just had the same problem this morning...i drove it 2 days ago but when i turn the key no lights on the dash or anything..engine wont crank..any help would be appreciated...btw tried jump starting the car..didnt help much either...

Old 09-10-2011, 03:47 PM

oh another thing my viper alarm wasnt unlocking/locking the car...never chirped...tried locking and unlocking doors manually wid key as well..still no luck.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM

check 250 amp fuses

Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by pan84
check 250 amp fuses
where would those fuses be located at? is any 250 amp fuses in the big fuse box next to the battery in the trunk?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM

It is right on the battery. On the positive cable in the box

Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by pan84
It is right on the battery. On the positive cable in the box
checked the fuses took it to a shop to get tested and said they were both fine..then the tech mentioned something about a starter solenoid on the right side of the car by the flywheel ( i got no idea where ) or a bad ignition switch? does this make sense to anybody? my car is completely dead. the alarm doesnt work, no interior illumination, not even dashboard gauge lights turn on when i turn the key..ive tried to jump the batteries still nothing...any help/advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the battery is good and the 250 amp fuses are good I would check the connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. I'll forget to reconnect the ground when I'm done working on the car and it makes me wonder what else did I break.

Also check out the FAQ section as there is electrical diagrams that show every ground point location on the car. I found these helpful for my car

Not sure if this will help but good luck getting her started.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Let me tell you all my tale of woe and see if it helps anybody.
I bought myself a 1995 XJ6 3.2 Straight 6 in blue. She's an ex-wedding car and is really, really clean. I went to inspect her and the seller and I did about 40 miles on all kinds of roads. I paid half the gas as a sort of indication that I wanted to buy the car as long as no major faults cropped up on the test drive.
There were no faults. Not one of the things that another Jag forum told me to watch and listen for showed themselves. So I shook the guy's hand. Now, the deal was that because we were 50 miles from home and there's no way for me to drive 2 cars, I would pay for the car when he and his pal both drove to my house that same night. One in my Jag and one in another car to drive them both back home. It was also another test of the Jag being roadworthy.
So they turned up with the car at the agreed time and she sounded great.
Cash was exchanged for all the car's paperwork and that was that.
She had 11.5 month's worth of MOT and she had full main dealer service history from day 1 right up to 102,000 miles. She currently has 105K.
Those factors were probably more important than the car itself.
So, the Jaguar sat on our drive for a week without even hearing the engine turn over. That is simply because we have another car that does about 50 MPG and my wife if Scottish, lol. The fact is that we very rarely go out without each other so we generally take the Nissan.

Boring bit coming up so scroll down to the next break if you're in a hurry.
I know what you're thinking. Why buy the Jag?
It's a long story involving an old Jag 420G that I was driving when I first met 'er indoors. We drove it all through our first year of courtship but then it had to go to pay for the wedding. The deal was that I would get another Jag when we could afford one. But things always came up. Holidays to Vegas instead of Fleetwood (we live in the north-west of England). I almost got it last year for my 60th birthday but #2 son wanted to get married in Thailand so that put the mockers on it. BUT, I finally got my Jag as a 61st birthday present to myself on the 17th of March this year. A day late but what the hell.
So that's why I got the Jag.
So then #1 son came by with his 2 kids and we all got in the Jag to go for a lunch-time feast at a well known pub. The drive there was sublime and Paul, a bit of a petrol head himself, commented on how good the car sounded and looked. We had our food and all piled back into the car. One thing that I noticed was that the alarm fob didn't work but I knew to use the key in the door and then slot the key into the ignition and give it a turn. One we were all in, I turned the key until all the dashboard lights came on and waited until half of them went out before turning the key a bit more to engage the starter. The lights went out but nothing happened apart from that. My wife is looking at me. My son is looking at me. The kids are looking at me. What do I do? So I gets out of the car and opens the boot lid. I don't know why I did that. I think I was just hiding while I had a bit of a think. I was fully covered for Roadside Assistance which means we could go back in and phone the AA so there really was no panic involved. I explained this to everybody and that was OK so we all set off to the main doors of the place and I beeped the alarm fob to lock the doors and it worked. My head told me that something strange had just happened so I got back in the car and tried the ignition again. She fired up as though nothing had ever been wrong at all. We all got back in the car and drove home without missing a beat along the way.
That's where I got my idea about the wiring loom that goes between the boot and the back seat up near the right hand hinge (RH when stood at the back of the car)
#1 son and I got talking on the drive home and he suggested that maybe the battery was a bit iffy so I took it out of the car, being surprised at the time that it was very small. It looked to be the same size as the battery in our Nissan Note. I charged it with a charger for cars over 1.8 and put it back in the car.

Now comes the tricky bit.
With a freshly charged battery, the car would start with no problems whatsoever. Trouble was, once you switched it off it was a guess as to whether it would start again. The starter would spin just like it should and sounding healthy enough but she just wouldn't start. It didn't even sound to be trying to start. Not having a clue about auto electrics, I was fairly stumped. The only thought that came to me was that maybe the battery sounded healthy but just didn't have the power to turn this engine over.
Meanwhile, out of the blue, one of my wife's Bingo Buddies told her that her car had been playing up so she took it to a guy she knows who runs a bit of a garage on a back street. My wife got his name and I gave him a ring. He sounded switched on, if you know what I mean and one thing he said that brightened my day was that he had lots of diagnostic gear for Jaguars. I went down the next day but driving the Nissan 'cos the Jag wouldn't start. We had a chat about the things that I had done such as removing the Ski slope and adjusting the solenoid for the gear selector so that it registers as being in Park and such like. I told him about the battery and he ordered a delivery of the correct Jaguar battery from a local supplier which arrived 10 minutes later and was 50% bigger than the battery that was in the Jag. He put the battery straight into the boot of the Nissan and when I got my wallet out and asked how much I owed him, he said that we would wait to see if the new battery fixed the problem.
I fixed the new battery into the Jag when I got home and she fired up straight away. I left her running for 10 minutes or so and then switched off. I turned the key and she started again .... Result.
This all happened on Monday just gone.
On Tuesday I took the Jaguar into his garage after it started with no problem at all. It drove all the way to the garage with no faults at all and I dropped it off there.
Has the new battery solved the problem?
Will the guy's diagnostic kit find the problem?
Once found, will the problem be fixable at a reasonable cost?
I don't know the answers but when he calls and I go down to the garage to hear the results, I'll let you know.

Sorry for the long boring post.
Steve

Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

We'll see Steve, fingers crossed.

Whatever happens, it sounds as though you have found a pretty decent bloke.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

It's not a boring post , it's a well detailed post and when you need something that needs to be fixed, details can provide easy ways

Quick Reply: Won't Start