XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Jimmycruz -
In your pictures, is that the view looking UP? (I am presuming so). It's a bit hard to tell what Jag was doing there, structurally. Is that a piece of sheet metal that is only held on by putty and can be removed, or is it one that you bend out of the way, and later bend back? Would it make any sense to cut away some of this sheet metal cleanly, and then form up a patch/cover for it afterwards?
Also, looking at the latches, it's a bit hard to see how they can fail. If the latch itself gets bound up with dirt and gunk, I would think that you just wouldn't be able to pull the release lever. But evidently, it might not be a bad idea to clean the latches out every so often and make sure they are well lubricated.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got Privileges?

Thanks Gus for your help, I have privileges now. Translator, you are 100% right. I was getting impatient and complained like a baby in man clothes. Sorry for being an A$$.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

@FinAdvisor, no problems from me, we can all get impatient for something good. Thnx for your post. (it just takes 3 working days for the software to kick in).

Now let's start over, and keep this bonnet release thread on track. Oddly latch problems seem to carry through various models.

The following users liked this post:
FinAdvisor (11-26-2010)
Old 06-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures

Can anyone send me those pictures? I've only been a member for a few days and I can't get to those? I get that "do not have permission" note when I try to view the pictures.

message me or email me ben@digdeeppeople.com
Thanks

Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Pics sent, with phone number. Give me a call on the cell number on Sunday since I am sure my directions are not very good.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Default 2000 xj8 bonnet not opening

Ok I have read a bunch of posts on why and how to open the bonnet. None refer to the make and model of my car. 2000 xj8 and the passenger side latch will not unlatch. Now I have already checked the lever under the dash and you can tell drivers side is tight and opens. the other cable doesnt even move when pulled. So after reading what Gus said I checked cable lever first. Now about all these holes and drilling holes. When i removed the plastic cover there are several holes to chose from. I have tried with a piese of long wire to pop the latch ,but without really knowing what I am trying to pop. can somebody please let me know or pics would be great.

thanks

Old 09-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I do not have a photo of a 2000 xj and maybe someone can provide that what I do have is a photo of a 95 XJ & 99 XK8 and can post them if you think they will help. Drilling holes should be your last resort. Have you attempted to apply pressure to the bonnet at the same time pulling on the bonnet opener? When I say apply pressure use your palm of your hands and apply pulsing pressure above the latch area and at the same time pull on the release. I would suggest trying that first.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:01 PM

We tried that Gus. The leadhead cable for the passenger side is broken. I can pull it out of the lever and it pulls out an inch or so past the lever. We also tried the wire in the hole trick. Any other ideas please.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by suzjag
We tried that Gus. The leadhead cable for the passenger side is broken. I can pull it out of the lever and it pulls out an inch or so past the lever. We also tried the wire in the hole trick. Any other ideas please.
Check your PM

Old 09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

@suzjag - if only the leadhead is gone, and you can still get hold of the steel inner cable? with a good pair of gripper type pliers pull it to release the bonnet. You'll pull an inch, and hear the bonnet pop - repeat for the other side. You might need a new pull, certainly a new cable, it's an easy job if you're ok working on cars.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Been depressed all weekend over my hood not opening. Just like others, driver's side works and passenger's side won't. I've tried depressing the hood and applying pressure to the passenger side while someone pulls the hood latch. I can also reach behind latch and feel pressure on both cables.

I had the hood open to check fluids, closed it to get some antifreeze, and when I returned no luck opening it. Ugh!

I'm in a rural town. Not sure if I take it to my local trusted repair shop that will probably take more time or head to New Orleans to the dealer.

Advice?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Advice? About what? It would be hard to tell you what to do, but if you want to open it yourself, here is a step by step. This comes from someone else, and I am sorry I cannot give credit because I do not remember whio wrote it.

Bonnet Latch Procedure
Jaguar XJ8 1998 – 2003.

This document only covers a procedure to manually activate the Bonnet Latches if the interior bonnet lever does not allow the bonnet of the vehicle to pop up on the rear corners of the bonnet.

DO NOT CLOSE THE BONNET UNTIL PROPER OPERATION IS VERIFIED
This procedure does not cover integrity of the interior bonnet lever, condition of the driver side or passengers cables, and the latch mechanisms. After the bonnet is opened inspect the cable connection to the bonnet latch mechanism to ensure the end of the cable is properly attached to the latch trigger. Be sure to observe that each latch is operating properly each time the interior bonnet lever is pulled and released.

Several situations can exist:
1. Driver and passenger Bonnet Latches will not open.
(This could also be a problem with the inside Bonnet Lever or cable connection)
2. Driver side Bonnet Latch will not open but Passenger side operates.
3. Passenger side Bonnet Latch will not open but Drivers side operates.

Always have the interior Bonnet Lever pulled out when using the procedures outlined.
The pressure from the side that is operating properly will generally assist in releasing the stuck latch once you trip the stuck latch

To manually open the Driver side Bonnet Latch:
If both latches are stuck always open the driver side first
- Remove the Driver side wheel
- Remove the “push in” fasteners for the plastic wheel well shield.
- As a reference locate the fastener hole that is about at 1 O’Clock
- Measure about 1 ¾ inches from this fastener toward the rear of the wheel well.
- Drill a hole ½ - ¾ hole (The metal is thin so do not put a lot of pressure as you drill)
- Use a rigid tool with about a 5 inch reach and no more than 5/16 inch diameter (a screw driver or metal rod)
- Keep the tool used about parallel with the ground / upper fender edge and probe with the tool pushing toward the windshield until you feel something move a little. Then Push, it should move about ½ inch may be more.
- The Driver side should pop up

To manually open the Passenger side Bonnet Latch:
- Disconnect the Negative Terminal / Ground on your battery ( you will be drilling in proximity of the front 12V connection and the ECM/Electronic modules)
- Remove the Passenger side wheel
- As a reference locate the Fastener hole that is about at 11 O’Clock
- Measure about 1 ¾ inches from this fastener toward the rear of the wheel well.
- Drill a hole ½ - ¾ hole (The metal is thin so do not put a lot of pressure as you drill)
- Use a rigid tool with about a 5 inch reach and no more than 5/16 inch diameter (a screw driver or metal rod)
- Keep the tool used about parallel with the ground / upper fender edge and probe with the tool pushing toward the windshield until you feel something move a little. Then push, it should move about ½ inch may be more.
- The Passenger side should pop up

Last edited by sparkenzap; 01-02-2012 at 03:15 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
IH60 (08-08-2015), jimlombardi (09-16-2014), Johnny_B (05-14-2016), petthesweaty (03-10-2013), plums (01-03-2012), sar98vdp (03-09-2019), soprecious (02-13-2018), trheenan (05-22-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation i have some pictures that might help.

I have too been here...

But it is easier than you think once you do it ..

now the explanation above does help..but like most individuals such as myself ..I need to visualize what I am searching for...**ATTENTION DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST!**

Ok 1st pic is me pointing in the general area that your going to be focusing on once you pull back the liner.
if you search around you will notice a seam of some sort.i used a long screwdriver to help with this project.

in the 2nd pic you notice a opening ....Now that is where the screw driver will end up being once your pry yourself threw.

now the 3rd pic kinda just shows what exactly you be doing once your fishing around..you wanna pull it toward the cabin..give it a few tries and youll get it good luck to my fellow JF friends.

*** update on the last photo i just uploaded you notice a opening in the body ladies and gents that's your sweet spot once you get in past the prying/drilling of the sheet metal.....
i put this on so you have a visual of where you would be sticking your screw driver when poking around " notice the lever "***
i put 2 more pics up but the one from underneath is where you pry through...just work it enough to get a screw driver in.be nice to your cat..
THIS WILL HELP DO NOT GO TO A DEALER OR SOME JOE-SHMO!! SAVE YOUR SELF MUCHO $$$$$$...ITS VERY EASY!! JUST be sure to thank me on JF it makes me feel good i helped a poor soul out plus i believe in karma !... good luck!

Attached Thumbnails 99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release-2012-01-02-14.42.22.jpg   99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release-2012-01-02-14.40.25.jpg   99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release-2012-01-02-14.41.39.jpg   99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release-photo-1-.jpg   99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release-jag-hood-1.jpg  

99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release-jag-hood.jpg  

Last edited by jimmycruz99xjr; 08-01-2013 at 12:02 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by jimmycruz99xjr:
asiasdad (09-15-2012), jimlombardi (09-16-2014), Johnny_B (05-14-2016), metoymi (04-18-2019), Moto Martin (06-18-2016), motorcarman (06-18-2018), soprecious (02-13-2018), sparkenzap (01-15-2012), trheenan (05-22-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Well I took the car today to my neighbor's garage shop (general car repair) and he had his best guy trying it for an hour using the above instructions but couldn't get the hood to unlatch. Now neither side works when the latch is pulled.

I work with a guy who used to have a jaguar repair shop but closed his business when the cars became "electrical nightmares" (his words) in the late 80's. He is going to help me look at it tomorrow.

I'll post any updates.

Jimmycruz, pics would certainly be appreciated. My email is davidmduke@bellsouth.net

Thank you. - David

Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Default Been here...Done this...feel for you...

None of this worked on my car either. But in theory it looks like it should huh? Wonder why it worked on his car, but not mine or yours? My guy owns a bodyshop and has produced/restored cars that have sold at mecum for 6figures. I trust this guy knows what hes doing...but I pointed him to this thread and printed it out for his refrence, and he couldnt get it open. Worked on it for 3 days..In a fully equipped shop with lifts and everything... I even "helped" LOL

A trip to the dealer DID get it open and lightend my wallet to the tune of 600.00 bucks though..and I had my own...200.00 cable...so I Imagine it couldve easily been a 1000.00 dollar Job...

Looking at the car after I got it home...Looks like they took off the front grilles and unhinged the hood/bonnet from the front ...and then used some type of saw and cut the bolt things that go in the catch'(S) at the base of the windshield..cause they left some grind marks...But it looks like they had the hood..completely off the car...I was surprised there was no easier, Designed-in, remedy considering that one day...these hood release cables will fail... the new cable "works" but doesnt feel as robust as the original.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Jimmy, Thanks very much for this info.
trotter.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Advice? About what? It would be hard to tell you what to do, but if you want to open it yourself, here is a step by step. This comes from someone else, and I am sorry I cannot give credit because I do not remember whio wrote it.

Bonnet Latch Procedure
Jaguar XJ8 1998 – 2003.

This document only covers a procedure to manually activate the Bonnet Latches if the interior bonnet lever does not allow the bonnet of the vehicle to pop up on the rear corners of the bonnet.

DO NOT CLOSE THE BONNET UNTIL PROPER OPERATION IS VERIFIED
This procedure does not cover integrity of the interior bonnet lever, condition of the driver side or passengers cables, and the latch mechanisms. After the bonnet is opened inspect the cable connection to the bonnet latch mechanism to ensure the end of the cable is properly attached to the latch trigger. Be sure to observe that each latch is operating properly each time the interior bonnet lever is pulled and released.

Several situations can exist:
1. Driver and passenger Bonnet Latches will not open.
(This could also be a problem with the inside Bonnet Lever or cable connection)
2. Driver side Bonnet Latch will not open but Passenger side operates.
3. Passenger side Bonnet Latch will not open but Drivers side operates.

Always have the interior Bonnet Lever pulled out when using the procedures outlined.
The pressure from the side that is operating properly will generally assist in releasing the stuck latch once you trip the stuck latch

To manually open the Driver side Bonnet Latch:
- Remove the Driver side wheel
- As a reference locate the fastener hole that is about at 1 O’Clock
- Keep the tool used about parallel with the ground / upper fender edge and probe with the tool pushing toward the windshield until you feel something move a little. Then Push, it should move about ½ inch may be more.
- The Driver side should pop up

To manually open the Passenger side Bonnet Latch:
- Disconnect the Negative Terminal / Ground on your battery ( you will be drilling in proximity of the front 12V connection and the ECM/Electronic modules)
- Remove the Passenger side wheel
- As a reference locate the Fastener hole that is about at 11 O’Clock
- Keep the tool used about parallel with the ground / upper fender edge and probe with the tool pushing toward the windshield until you feel something move a little. Then push, it should move about ½ inch may be more.
- The Passenger side should pop up
Sparkenzap, followed your instructions and photos, with the exception of removing the wheel, drilled in the area specified using a 3/8 drill, inserted a 10 inch thin screwdiver and "eureka" i was absolutely in the right place...the whole process took me 1 hour. I am thinking of drilling the driver side just in case this happens again. Wow! my first time here and you have saved me a lot of hardship not to mention money...thanks a million

The following 3 users liked this post by trotter:
Johnny_B (05-14-2016), Lucielle (10-08-2021), Moto Martin (02-17-2019)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jimmycruz99xjr
OK ALL YOU NEED IS A flat head screwdriver and PLIERS.

first you will need to remove the inner liner use the pliers to pop out the pins,
now the picture I have of the side of the car i have showing is where your aiming at.once you remove the liner

the next set of pictures is once your under the fender....i didnt remove the wheel I just turn the steering wheel all the way to the right.."trust me its easy" now where I have circled you need to pry the putty and sheet metal it will open just take your time open with a screwdriver you need to open the gap so you can have enough leverage to reach in and pop the latch.. now to pop the latch you will need to pop it by unlocking by making the latch go towards the rear of the car (if you use a hanger youll find exactly where the spring is i found it easer to fish around that way rather than busting up my hands)

once you find the spring you are there..now use the flat head and to pop the latch like i described it before it will take a few times but you will get..
after you do it once you will do it every time its that easy.

replace cables and your golden!
Jimmy, thanks it worked like a champ and the hood popped right open. Apparently nothing wrong with the cable but looks like a piece of plastic sleeve failed that retrained the cable.

The following 3 users liked this post by jbrinkley:
jimmycruz99xjr (02-04-2012), Johnny_B (05-14-2016), Lucielle (10-08-2021)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please post pics about hood latch repair

I'm about to attemp the passenger side hood latch repair... drilling as a last resort after trying everything mentioned in this thread...

The step by step instructions posted by Sparkenzap, the pics posted by jimmycruz99xjr and the post by jbrinkley confirming it works is all extremely helpful... however, what I would greatly appreciate before proceeding are more pics as referenced in jbrinkley's repost in Feb 2, 2012, of jimmycruz99xjr's pics from a post that may have been outside of this thread...

Please repost or email directly to me at vzr@aol.com... please enter Jag Hood Latch in subject line if emailing.

I'm a female, do-it-yourselfer... who will attempt any repair provided I feel I have good reference manual... this type of repair will be my first... please help! Thanks so much!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default i got the pax side won't open problem

man, i've read through while surfing through the site and hoped it never happened to me...well it did...i've tried a few times and no luck...i haven't taken the wheel off or drilled the hole...i guess that is what comes next...if anyone could send me any other pics or anything i'd be grateful...bills@pietrocarlo.com

Quick Reply: 99 xjr hood passenger catch doesnt release