XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Airbag Light

I now have an airbag light on the dash! No codes, but the light comes on when I start the engine, turns off for a second or two and then comes back on and stays on.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Seat airbag as a wild guess, check the wiring underneath the front seats.

You need dealer diagnostics to id the fault, but the seats are checkable before writing a cheque

Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Same here- I *think* it has to do with the wire under the driver's seat but haven't gotten in there to check- let me know what you find.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Any specifics as to which wire?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

I think there is a single wire that hangs down for the airbag.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

I'll take a look. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

How can you have the SRS MIL on with no codes?
The SRS light will be on if the module cannot communicate or there is a fault.

You CANNOT read the SRS module with a generic OBDII code reader!!!

You have a faulty module or a faulty component/wiring.

Guessing is a good idea if you have endless time or money for parts replacement.

PTU, WDS, IDS, SDD, AutoEnginuity Autologic etc.

There are sensors and harnesses all over the car and you will spend alot of time without the proper diagnostic tools.

bob gauff

Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

+1 on what Bob says above. However, if your air bag light is flashing before going steady then count the flashes. This will give you a "flash code".

From that, we can get you in the right area to look for loose or dirty connections. But that is about all you can do.

Without the "B" code, which you can only get from hooking the car up to a WDS dealer or indy code reader, then you are pretty much shooting in the dark.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

So, there's no code reader that I can get that will give me the code? The dealer in West Palm Beach charges $149 for "diagnostic service." I could try an indy shop that's close to my house, but I'm pretty sure they'll charge me as well.

Here are my other comments...

First, the steering wheel is one I had put on for me last year, at an indy shop. I might take the steering wheel off and make sure the connector is plugged in nice and tight.

Next, the control panel on the left side fo the driver's seat, the one with all seat adjustments, pops off every now and again. Could this have caused a loose connection? Or worded differently, does anyone have any prior experience with this panel popping off and causing an airbag fault?

Finally, and this is kind of one of those "catch all" type things -- maybe my battery needs to be checked out. It was replaced a little over a year ago, but the heat and humidity around here seems to do a real job on batteries! I should at least have it checked out before I set off on my next 4,000 mile journey in August!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Mike,
You can get a code reader but it will cost $$$$$$.

Let the car sit in the sun for a while, start the car and the watch carefully for what the air bag light does. If it flashes, count them. If it goes solid at once, note that too.

Worth a shot taking the steering wheel off and checking the connections.

The seat control has nothing to do with the SRS so you could easily get a replacement surround that won't pop out.

Always worth checking on the condition of your battery, you just never Know.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

This is exactly what happens when I start the engine --

The airbag light comes on until the initial system check is complete, then it turns off for a second and then comes back on and stays on.

Question -- Is there a separate light/icon for the seatbelt? If not, could this be a seatbelt "problem?" If I unbuckle my seatbelt, no other lights come on.

I've also tried starting the car while not sitting in the driver's seat just to see if it has anything to do with me sitting in the seat -- don't know why that would matter, but I thought I'd try it -- same thing as when I'm sitting in the seat, and same thing whether I have the seatbelt buckled or not.

BTW When you say $$$$$, what are you talking about? I've been looking at the code reader thread and see that one of them apparently has all the bells and whistles for under $300, if I remember correctly. My concern is that I don't have a PC (Windows) and most of the top-of-the-line systems require Windows for the software. Is there one that is stand-alone and would at least give me all the codes (including the airbag codes) without the need for a PC?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

X308 cars do not have 'flashing codes' for SRS.

If the circuit is repaired and the system detects NO MORE FAULT, I think the light will be turned off but the DTC will still be logged in the SRS module.

bob gauff

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Thank, Bob.

Anyone have a suggestion on a code reader?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

To read Electronic Airbag SRS 'Bxxxx' codes, you'll need something like AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar Enhancement Pack or Mongoose.

Both of these are expensive but, once purchased, are then always available for future troubleshooting.

If you're just wanting this Airbag issue resolved and aren't planning on making DTC reading your new weekend entertainment, then paying for diagnostics is likely to be a lower cost solution.

Graham

Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

If the code reader you're talking about is the one I saw for around $279, I'd be inclined to buy it and have it in my tool kit. If you're talking about something that's a lot more money than that, I'd consider having someone else do the diagnostics for me.

As I stated above, but maybe not very clearly, I'd like to have a reader that I can use to get the all the codes without having to use a Windows-based PC or laptop. My little Actron CP9125 has been very handy, but I'd love to have something that has more features and can read the Jaguar codes.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

There is a clue in there that your seat belt light is not working too. You should also have a warning light and chime for no seat belt. I think the SRS system does checks on components and connectivity based on resistance readings. The airbags themselves should be 2.2 to 2.7 ohm's I read. I expect that there is also a value for the seat belt switch. Try also testing by starring with the seatbelt clicked in. I have a similar problem I am traking and mine is some wire/connection that varies as the seat slides fore/aft.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

I will try starting the car with my seatbelt connected.

I did notice that it first happened BEFORE connecting my seatbelt, so I thought it was the seatbelt but connecting it did not get rid of the light. I can't remember if I tried it again with the seatbelt buckled.

I also noticed that my seat did not auto-adjust like it used to right after I first noticed the light. I readjusted the seat, and then it auto-adusted when I turned it back on, but the light is still on. That's one of the reasons why I thought maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with the seat adjustment.

I appreciate the info about the airbag readings, but I'm clueless as to where you'd even start to look for those readings.

I haven't had a chance to do anything today, maybe will be able to later on. Will report back with any findings. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Mike, you are putting off the inevitable.

Disconnect the seat module and remove the seat.

Check and clean all connectors and check the wiring harness for any signs of a break.

Refit the seat and reconnect.

Hopefully when you then start the car the RED seatbelt light will be on until you buckle up. If not then the buckle switch could be at fault.

Also check the condition of the battery.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

You're right, Jim, that's exactly what I should do. Unfortunately, right now it's storming outside and I don't have enough room in the garage to take the seat out comfortably. I'll have to find time tomorrow unless it clears up this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

I'm optimistic about it being the battery! I'll have to get out the old meter and test it. I think I could do that in the garage.

I swiped this statement from another thread by danielsand...

"Driver's seat fully back, undid two front torx bolts first, seat fully forward, undid the back bolts. Flipped the seat on it's back, and unplugged two harnesses under, pulled it slightly backwards, and unbolted the seat belt. And the seat was out."

I also read that the battery should be disconnected before taking out the seat to reduce the risk of accidental airbag deployment -- apparently the battery needs to be disconnected AFTER removing the seat bolts and BEFORE disconnecting the harnesses. I will follow that procedure unless someone chimes in with something else.

Last edited by OldMike; 07-27-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light