XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Airbag light diagnosis help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Airbag light diagnosis help please

I don't have a proper scanner to get the codes so am wondering what the typical failures are so I can do it the hard way by trial and error.
The light is not always on but mostly is, more so lately.
Seat belt recvr switch, seat occupancy, slip ring?? What is the usual culprit(s) please?
FIXED, see post 31, err post #42

Last edited by ross1; 08-02-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I have the same problem - there are several threads on this topic but they all pretty much say what you said! I've tried removing my seat to get at the wiring underneath but can't get the bolts out of the back of the driver's seat. Mine is now on pretty much all the time. I've learned to live with it, but it does bug me!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:53 AM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

If the clock spring is bad, you will likely have other issues. No cruise control or no radio volume since those also go through the clock spring wiring. It is a common issue since the wires get flexed a lot.

Try moving the drivers seat to different positions. Turn off the key each time and see if the light stays out. If it does, then the problem is a bad connection under the seat.
That wiring gets flexed a lot too.

Auto Enginuity makes a code reader that does airbags. You have to buy the Jag
enhancement to get it to work though. Not cheap but pays for itself with one saved
dealer visit.

The following users liked this post:
ross1 (06-14-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lear45
If the clock spring is bad, you will likely have other issues. No cruise control or no radio volume since those also go through the clock spring wiring. It is a common issue since the wires get flexed a lot.

Try moving the drivers seat to different positions. Turn off the key each time and see if the light stays out. If it does, then the problem is a bad connection under the seat.
That wiring gets flexed a lot too.

Auto Enginuity makes a code reader that does airbags. You have to buy the Jag
enhancement to get it to work though. Not cheap but pays for itself with one saved
dealer visit.
Thanks Lear45,
I'll get after that today.
Personally I'd live with it but the car is going to be offered for sale and I'd rather not deal with nit pickers.
Will follow up once a solution is found.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 PM

After removing the seat and CAREFULLY examining the wire harness, specifically the side airbag wires and the seatbelt buckle switch wires and re-assembling the fault is gone.
I dismantled the seat to get at the airbag, disconnected it and checked continuity while tugging and thrashing the wires about, no breaks. I was also able to confirm operation of the seat belt receiver switch and it's wiring. The harness was opened all the way down to the last anchor point near the heat outlet. I found ZERO evidence of broken or pinched wires and continuity was good everywhere.
I re-assembled after spraying contact cleaner into all the connections and the fault is gone(knock wood) for now. I've moved the seat around quite a bit and the light remains off.
My suspicion is the airbag computer checks actual impedance vs. a simple continuity check. Given the very low impedance of the airbags it wouldn't take much to change that value.
So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Fingers are crossed that it is indeed fixed.
Thanks to those who offered advice here and in the zillion other airbag threads.
Dodgy connections seem to be the issue.

EDIT: The light is back, damn car

Last edited by ross1; 06-15-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ross1
EDIT: The light is back, damn car
I have the same issue and had my hopes high for this thread... hope someone out there has the answer...

my light seem to away when it is really humid :-)

Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

All:
Same thing with me. Started off intermittently about 5 months ago; now on pretty much every drive. Had Jaguar scan for codes. Nothing saved. Replaced clock spring. Light remains. Am beginning to think about pulling the seat, but after reading this thread am having second thoughts. AND, it the light seems to come on more quickly when it's WARM outside or in the cabin.

While I'm sure we all will continue to pour through the archives, I'd love to hear from anyone with similar circumstances that found a fix - if, for no other reason, than a bit of encouragement.

Thanks!
Scott

Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Hot weather and having the seat all the way down tends to make the problem more likely for me. 6 months of the year it doesn't show up. Since the light did go out after removing the seat, the problem is still likely there.
Other cars have the same issue. The connections get pulled and can cause a loss of
continuity even without broken wire. My light stays out as long as I don't lower the seat all they way. No code with the light out. I have not had a light for the past
3,000 miles driving.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 PM

After reseating the connectors under the drivers seat, the light is still out. If the clockspring is bad, you will likely not have radio volume or cruise. I had issues with those and replaced the clock spring, they are fixed. It was the connections under that
drivers seat to fix my airbag light. I have not seen it in about a month and many thousands of miles. Only 4 T50 torx bolts to remove the seat. 10 minutes tops. I posted a photo of my passenger seat on the albums section under, "power seat fail details". The drivers seat is almost the same except for the potentiometer for the seat position memory.

MidwestJag (07-05-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Lear45
Hot weather and having the seat all the way down tends to make the problem more likely for me. 6 months of the year it doesn't show up. Since the light did go out after removing the seat, the problem is still likely there.
Other cars have the same issue. The connections get pulled and can cause a loss of
continuity even without broken wire. My light stays out as long as I don't lower the seat all they way. No code with the light out. I have not had a light for the past
3,000 miles driving.
I too am having the same problem and tried seat removal and connector clean and click spring check. Now seat up and down do nothing to affect the light. I have also removed the seat module and checked and re soldered the connections inside, just in case.
Is left and right modules the same?
Have tested the steering wheel air bag and side airbag and the do measure as 3 ohms.

Seat belt switch shows as good, open circuit not plugged in and short circuit when belted.

While air bag light is on 95% of the time. Seat belt light is never on.
I do notice though that the seat belt light and come never sound when seat belt is un plugged. Seat belt light comes on during the self test.

Just looking for any more ideas AND can someone tell me if the airbag light and seat belt light issues are interconnected.

Can the passenger seat module affect this at all?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm now wondering, besides Lear45, has ANYone had luck fiddling about underneath the driver's seat?? There seems to be a lot of advice to do it, but very little evidence that this common and consistent fault can be found there.

dsetter: so, you didn't replace the clock spring, correct? I replaced mine with a used part, and the fault persists. The clock spring was replaced a couple of years ago I think by Jaguar for the PO, and that apparently did the trick… for a while. And when I recently had the (non) codes read by Jaguar, they pointed me back toward the clock spring. So this is what I'm thinking (keeping in mind I'm neither a mechanic nor a detective!):

Perhaps there's a fault in these clock springs that doesn't affect anything other function controlled by it and begins to go bad after a few years of use. The solution would therefore be to replace it with a NEW part - sparing no expense I suppose

More thoughts?

Scott

Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 PM

How to delete a post?

Last edited by ross1; 07-13-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 PM

Does anyone know if the seatbelt receiver switch communicates with the SRS system?
I haven't access to a code reader so am flying blind. I seem to remember finding an impedance spec. for the seat bolster airbag (4 ohms?) but didn't test it as I'm reluctant to apply any current there. I'm damn near certain the wiring to the airbag is A-Okay. A dud airbag wouldn't surprise me.
Perhaps the seatbelt receiver.
Time to have another go at this. The car is to be FOR SALE and I'd rather not listen to nit pickers.

ALL of the steering wheel buttons work so I had dismissed the slip ring. After reading Scott's post I'll be checking continuity there too I suppose.

Last edited by ross1; 07-13-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Ross,
The seat belt buckle is indeed linked to the SRS, I had the same problem on my XK8, air bag light on but no seat belt light. Got the right area from the flash code and then dealer code reader to find the exact problem.

Does your air bag light come on and stay on or does it flash for a short period of time and then stay on?

If it flashes it will help us narrow down the problem as the flashes equate to a code.

Last edited by jimbov8; 07-14-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM

The seat control modules are interchangeable left to right. They only control the seat adjustment motors according to the wiring diagram. Swapping or fixing them won't help the airbag. The SRS computer is located in the center console.

Jagrepair.com. Look at "jaguar extras" on the left side. Scroll to the bottom and there is a section on the SRS system. It is for the S type, but 2002 vintage. Understanding it helps with trouble shooting.

There is a way to disable the seatbelt warning without disabling the airbags. Some cars 20 clicks of the seatbelt latch with the ignition on turns the system on or off. I do not know the jag procedure and the one I found on the forum does not work.

My airbag light history.
I had an intermittent light in mostly warm weather. The radio steering wheel volume control and cruise failed. Replace with a new clock spring and fixed all except airbag light.
Worked on drivers seat connector and got light to stay out unless full down and aft position.
Both front and rear seat cushion controls failed. Pulled drivers seat and replaced both drive cables. Got an airbag light. Moved seat slight and the light is out and staying out.

The drivers seat and the clock spring get moved the most and are the most LIKELY areas to have an issue. The clock spring can fail so you only loose one function. For me it was obvious. It was the only place that controlled the radio, cruise and SRS.

My airbag light is for now.

I do not get a warning for my seatbelt not being latched. Never have. I suspect the previous owner turned it off and I don't know to reset it.
Hope this helps a little.

dsetter (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the additional inputs on seat switches and behaviors.
My thought on the seat module, even though it is not controlling the SRS is that the seat buckle switch connection goes through there. In my electrical experiences, problems most often happen when there is a mechanical movement or people can insert things into holes and mess the connectors up.

I am sure that when it was working, I did have a seat belt chime. Now I get nothing never, but do know

My understanding of the SRS self check that causes the light to com on is that it does a test of all components through a resistance check.
Seat belt switch
Horn air bag (open/closed/?)
Left pillar air bag (4 ohm +/-?)
Right pillar air bag (4 ohm +/-?)
Occupant in seat sensor?

Checking resistance on air bags can be done with an electronic low ohms current DMM. Not an analog that can supply more current and could set of the air bag.
The electrical plugs are different from normal and provide a SC when unplugged so you need a tool or piece of tubing to slide in over the pins to open up the shorting bar

With the low resistances I understand why a poor connector or wire will cause an error.
I understand that the steering clock spring electrically connects air bag and controls to the car. I have changed it but it did not affect the results.

I have even gone as far as changing the SRS module in the center console with another from another non-working vehicle but still no change in behavior.

It may be time to get serious in diagnosis and pull the SRS module and measure continuity from the SRS module, or at last, go pay someone (GASP, shock & horror)

Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Default Disable chime process from X350. Any confirmation it works here?

1. Ensure the front passenger seat is unoccupied.

NOTE: Steps two to five must be completed within 60 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition to the RUN position (do not start the engine).

3. Buckle the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp extinguishes.

4. Unbuckle the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp illuminates.

5. Repeat Steps three and four a further eight times.

6. When the driver safety belt buckle is unbuckled for the ninth time a single chime will be heard. The single chime is acknowledgement that the beltminder feature has been disabled.

The beltminder feature will be disabled until the above process (Steps one to six) are repeated. Upon repeating the process the beltminder feature will be reactivated.

The following 3 users liked this post by dsetter:
Lear45 (07-15-2014), NJ2003XJ8 (07-15-2014), toaster (08-06-2018)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM

Well, I observed the light operation when starting as suggested by jimbov8. The light blinks off along with the seat belt light and immediately comes back on. No flashing.
I also see that I get no seatbelt reminder if I leave the belt unbuckled. I read dsetter's post and attempted to restore the reminder as explained... nothing, no chime, no reminder. I see this procedure is for X350 chassis so not surprised it didn't work.
My next step is to have codes read, unless anyone has more suggestions.

Last edited by ross1; 07-16-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Lear45 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 PM

the x350 procedure did not work for me either. good to try though

Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 AM

Any ideas why I do not have the seatbelt reminder if the belt is left unbuckled? Is this proper operation?

Quick Reply: Airbag light diagnosis help please