XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

CD Disc Changer - "No Disc"

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent Gentlemen. Thank you for the PDF and the guidance. Especially Inertian.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bluerdg
Forget the search, I just stumbled across the pdf. I found detailing the fix. I didn't realize I'd saved it.
A few things to add to the PDF authored by Miko ....

Removing the rubber isolators is not necessary, and as mentioned on other sites, it adds the risk of tearing the isolators as they appear to be glued to the mounting shafts. Instead, push the rubber isolators through the holes into the chassis after removing the isolator springs. When finished, the rubber isolators can be pushed back through the holes before remounting the isolator springs.

The specific gear that Miko refers to is mounted by one screw and two alignment pins. At least two teeth should mesh with the worm gear. As mentioned on other forums by descriptions such as a popping sound, the real problem appears to be jamming rather than looseness. The alignment pins do not allow much movement at all. The jamming is likely to occur when the cd selector is used too quickly while trying to cycle the cd just after a cd starts with a track that the operator does not want to hear. The logic is then sloppy enough to try to do two things at once and the result is a gear jam. A good practice is to exercise patience when using the selection controls.

When remounting the eight, yes eight, isolator springs, do the very front springs first on each side as it is the most difficult to maneuver. After doing one side, jam something in the finished side between the case and the chassis to shift the chassis to the unfinished side to get the chassis closer to the spring mounting ears on the case. This operation will require good light, patience and good eyesight.

Forget undoing the ribbon cable as it is not repair friendly, and the power distribution board has the mounting screw soldered to the board, again ... not repair friendly. Instead the chassis has to be carefully maneuvered to avoid stressing the cable.

In addition to the gears, there are all kinds of sliding plates that can benefit from lubrication while the unit is apart.

If the unit needs a new laser assembly ... ebay at $25. Just search for the changer part number and the listing will pop up.

Hmmm... that vacant spot under the changer is just begging to be made into a small tool drawer.

Last edited by plums; 08-27-2012 at 06:39 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by plums:
jimlombardi (08-27-2012), xjay8 (07-31-2014), XJRay (08-25-2014)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CD Changer

The Miko fix worked. Just loosen the screw, move the gear, and tighten.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (08-01-2016)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by walkman1
The Miko fix worked. Just loosen the screw, move the gear, and tighten.
Ahhhh ... but since it is apart anyways ... some lubricaton on the rotating and sliding parts couldn't hurt. As a matter of fact, it may prevent a future occurence of the same problem. The sliding plates on the exterior of the chassis that control the vertical motion need lubrication because it may contribute to binding.

xjay8 (04-16-2016)
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cd disc error on radio not changer 04 VP

I tried to put a cd in the cd in the radio and it says disc error. has anyone had that problem ? it takes the disc in fine but all 0's in the tracking etc. any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

I did the lubricating the gears procedure outlined in the .pdf on the first page of this thread and it worked great. Took me about an hour. I was getting the "disc error" message. There is a worm gear that can come out of alignment and not allow the disc to fully seat, so it keeps trying to pull in a disc from the tray but can never get it to seat, so it just keeps cycling back and forth. So you just have to reset that worm gear so you can get full stroke and the CD can be fully seated onto the spindle. The pdf was very thorough.

xjay8 (04-16-2016)
Old 07-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by bluerdg
It was a Monday moment, could have sworn I added it.
Car was purchased from San Diego and sent to Norway. Since CD was not working we check first Usa and Europa standard is the same and then try to find via google some helt. And we found your excellent pdf description and follow every step and is working perfect. Great thanks.

Johnny_B (08-01-2016)
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Default 2003 XK8 Disk Player - "no disk"

Following Cap't Morgans guidelines, I removed the Alpine changer from the trunk. Bolting was a little different, but easy to figure out. Greased (with spray-on lithium grease, as recommended) and reassembled the player.

Worked immediately.

Thanks Forum and Cap't Morgan

Sam in Madeira Beach FL

Johnny_B (08-01-2016)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM

I also am in need of CD player help. After changing the battery, the CD button turns on the radio. AM/FM and Tape still function correctly, but the CD button goes back to radio. How is this button reprogrammed?
Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaker7596
Following Cap't Morgans guidelines, I removed the Alpine changer from the trunk. Bolting was a little different, but easy to figure out. Greased (with spray-on lithium grease, as recommended) and reassembled the player.

Worked immediately.

Thanks Forum and Cap't Morgan

Sam in Madeira Beach FL
Any reccomended brands of grease?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

cissdm

This might help the issue - Look at this thread on roadfly website:

CDC ERROR - CD player malfunction

Jim Lombardi

cissdm (08-22-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 06:14 AM

The answers referred to a "No Disc" or a jammed cartridge situation. I have power to the changer and no "No Disc" displayed. When the CD button is pressed, it goes either to radio or tape, which ever was layed last. Any ideas? I really didn't want to spend the day and a weeks salary at the Jaguar dealer again.
Thank you,
Dave

Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 AM

EUREKA!! I found the problem with the CD button with amnesia. After inspection of the changer, I found a cable not connected to anything. This cable had fallen out of the unit. Once plugged in, everything worked. Through all of this, I have learned so much from all of you. Thank you. Now I know where to go for more information.
Dave

Johnny_B (08-01-2016)
Old 10-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I will be tearing mine down on my new Jag soon. Looks like the info here will make it a less expensive option than tracking one down and installing it.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Where is the PDF

I cannot find for the life of me the PDF mentioned. Can someone help with that? My disk has not worked for over a year now and the Mast just went bad so I figure while I am replacing that I can work on a solution for the disk. Can anyone help me out here?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Ifexsa
I cannot find for the life of me the PDF mentioned. Can someone help with that? My disk has not worked for over a year now and the Mast just went bad so I figure while I am replacing that I can work on a solution for the disk. Can anyone help me out here?
See if this helps......

Attached Files
Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 AM

I still haven't had the chance to try and fix mine. It's been a few months and I really miss having a CD player radio around Boston sucks the only good station has terrible reception. Has anyone worked on their CD player since the last time I posted? Any new tips?

Old 06-24-2015, 03:27 PM

I am so psyched! Finally got the CD changer working in the VDP. I should have tried taking it out months ago but I am so busy with my restaurant I never have free time. Today I got home early and figured I have the Brit car show and wanted to spruce the car up for Sunday. I took out the changer pulled it apart. At first it was a little intimidating but really there are about 8 springs and 4 rubber mounts that pop right out. This is the part that pisses me off! All it was, was a jammed worm gear that works the shuttle that pulls the CDs into the player. Well now I have the capability to actually listen to music I like and not what the crappy radio stations in Boston pump out! Taking this out and putting it back in isn't hard at all. Anyone with a little mechanical ability should be able to do this with out any trouble!!

Johnny_B (08-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Question XK8 CD Changer

I'm considering removing the entire audio system in my 2000 XK as the sound is awful. The CD changer will not recognize or eject a disc. After taking a look at the Changer and Amp racked up in the trunk (under the hydraulics for the top), I am convinced that it was installed before the body.
If anyone has figured a way to remove the CD changer without oxy/acetylene, please share with me. It appears I will have to remove the entire rack, then, maybe I can reach the tiny screws holding the changer in the rack. God, these Brits can make things difficult! The whole thing needs and eject button.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, I have no specific recollection of any of that pain and I've done it twice. I didn't find it difficult or time consuming.

I'm about to do it again - I'll pay closer attention.

Johnny_B (08-01-2016)

Quick Reply: CD Disc Changer - "No Disc"