Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR 1997 - 2003

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2010, 04:21 PM

Default Check Gas Cap message

This is ridiculous. I was getting this message and would go unfasten my gas cap and put it back on tightly. Then I would get the message and repeat the process several times within a short time span before the message would come on again. So I think I will get a new gas cap and it will have a better seal then the original one so I order a new cap. Now I am going through the same thing again. What is it with these cars? You sneeze and they get sensitive. I have the same problem with the Engine coolant low message but I will address that in another post.
What can I do on this gas cap situation?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-20-2010, 04:26 PM

The "check gas cap" comes on when the system senses that the fuel tank is not holding pressure. If the new cap doesn't fix it, then there may be a leak elsewhere, most likely in one of the tubes leading into the tank or the gasket around the pump or sensing unit's entry into the tank. (see below)
Attached Thumbnails
Check Gas Cap message-fueltank-jpg   Check Gas Cap message-fueltankpl-jpg  

Last edited by QuadManiac; 04-20-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

Jaguar had a TSB for the gas cap replacement it was 508 or 509. The reason you will not be able to find it is that Jaguar has classified it as being complied with. The purpose for the TSB was that the gas cap was hard to close resulting in a leak causing false check engine light and at times gas odor. Not sure that it applied to your car but I would call and find out. I got mine for my 99xk8 in the mail after my first service at the local Jaguar dealership. I hope this helps! Gus

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 108,000mi K&N Filter
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS. Albert Einstein
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Sure it wasn't a recall Gus? I remember getting a gas cap for either our 95 XJ12 or 98 XJ8 when they were out of warranty.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

Called Jaguar today to confirm my info prior to posting. However, you might be right!

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 108,000mi K&N Filter
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS. Albert Einstein
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 PM

Tags
2007, 99, cap, check, cherokee, engine, fuel, gas, grand, jag, jaguar, jeep, light, message, recall, xj8, xk8